Has anyone tried to emulate Tony Finau mechanics?

Acesteve

Reaction score
Handicap
Driver
I watched him on Sunday and thought how could that short smooth swing produce that outcome. I've figured out some of his hand and arm motion in two 30 minutes sessions and I'm a bit in surprise of the result. vs me, his hands stay very low to the ground, his backswing is short and his release is very delayed. While his approach may give me tennis elbow I notice immediately less spin on the ball yet the height looks normal, I notice more rollout on hard conditions, and maybe the negative is distance control. Hit three gap wedges tonight as a formal test. 2 were 98 yards which is about normal for me and the balls were 2ft apart. The third was 21 yards longer. The upside is I don't feel like I'm really swinging and seems any tendency to hit fat is gone.

anyone else think about his swing?

my best swings are when my backswing is on the shorter side. i’ve always attributed it to a wrist issue where it’s painful to fully set them, so once they stop hi hinging i stop turning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I've tried short swings before like Steve Stricker but with little success. Tony has such dramatic and almost immediate wrist set that somehow that appears to create the conditions for a late release. almost seems to calm me down in my backswing and makes short OK. Suggests to me the hand positions send signals to the body of what the chain of events should be in downswing and release.

Acesteve;n8884004 said:
I watched him on Sunday and thought how could that short smooth swing produce that outcome. I've figured out some of his hand and arm motion in two 30 minutes sessions and I'm a bit in surprise of the result. vs me, his hands stay very low to the ground, his backswing is short and his release is very delayed. While his approach may give me tennis elbow I notice immediately less spin on the ball yet the height looks normal, I notice more rollout on hard conditions, and maybe the negative is distance control. Hit three gap wedges tonight as a formal test. 2 were 98 yards which is about normal for me and the balls were 2ft apart. The third was 21 yards longer. The upside is I don't feel like I'm really swinging and seems any tendency to hit fat is gone.

anyone else think about his swing?

The shorter I get, the less accurate I am. It's very weird, and very annoying.

Look's a lot like Tigers new swing imo. Less wind up, but a big punch.

Canadan;n8884192 said:
The shorter I get, the less accurate I am. It's very weird, and very annoying.

Your swing reminds me of JT, big wind up and then unloading it all on the ball. I really enjoy watching you hit balls.

Back