Gambling Golf Games!

j_sizzle9

Hosel Rocket
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6-8ish
We all like to feel a little pressure. Make a 4 footer with something on the line. Hit a green to put pressure on your playing partner. Sometimes golf is just more fun when you are playing for something and get out of your comfort zone to really test yourself.

Tell us about gambling games you like to play within your regular group and your triumphs or failures and how they affect your game?

Wolf....is always fun. But I’m intrigued about others opinions honestly cause I don’t do it enough and would like to lose more money than I already do lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always play closest to the pin on the par 3s. Everyone pays the winner.....double if it’s a birdie. But if you 3 putt that person pays the group. Makes for a lot of pressure on larger greens.

Whip out.....you make a lone par and win $2, birdie is $3, greenies are $5 on par 3s.....when you win you tell everybody to “whip out” the cash!!

PKorf I love Wolf!
Wildcat4life closest to pin on par 3 is awesome!

i watched a No Laying Up episode on WolfHammer which seems totally confusing and completely awesome all in one. Gonna take me some time to digest that one.

In my home games we often play a Nassau or Stableford game with blind partner draw after completion of round.

WICHITAREJECT;n8884225 said:
Whip out.....you make a lone par and win $2, birdie is $3, greenies are $5 on par 3s.....when you win you tell everybody to “whip out” the cash!!

That seems really fun and very simple! Plus I’d love yelling “whip out the cash!”

j_sizzle9;n8884229 said:
PKorf I love Wolf!
Wildcat4life closest to pin on par 3 is awesome!

i watched a No Laying Up episode on WolfHammer which seems totally confusing and completely awesome all in one. Gonna take me some time to digest that one.

In my home games we often play a Nassau or Stableford game with blind partner draw after completion of round.

Played wolf hammer and was totally confused but somehow won a few bucks lol

PKorf;n8884232 said:
Played wolf hammer and was totally confused but somehow won a few bucks lol

Seems really cool and I love all the ways to “score” but so much to keep track of! I’’d need a laptop and spreadsheet on the course...or...I’d have to retain McLovin as my CPA to keep track of the bets all day!

My usual game is with a much, much better play than I am and we have our own competition where he plays from the back tees and I play from 1 tee box forward... when we play for money we play a couple different games.... the most expensive for me is what we call 'game stats'.... FWs hit, GIRs, & total putts.... we play $1 per stat per hole as a match but no pushes.... Lets just say there are times when I hit irons off the tee just to hit the fairway to minimize loss.... And I usually get 5 'strokes' to use anywhere even though I play 1 set of tees forward.

The other game we both like to play is match play $3 per hole and I get pops. I usually fare better in this because I typically scramble pretty well and getting pops levels it a bit. Its pretty much a wash for me as most of the time as he insists on paying for my green fees a lot.... my losses covers him for paying for my round of golf...

Clearly nothing too serious, but agree that putting something on the line adds a element of excitement....

Hammer and wolf hammer make my head hurt, the scorecard looks like a Jackson pollock splatter paint masterpiece when I’m done and golf is too hard for me to remember when to hammer, not hammer, get hammered, pick a partner, double the bet, triple the bet, crap the bed. Regular group we will typically play 12-20 guys $25 buy in, $15 of that goes into the net-pot, and $10 of that goes towards gross skins. Provides every handicap level to get in on the action not having to career it out there every time. During the round we will typically throw out some other side games of some sort like a. 2 man low ball cart vs cart for 5 a side and 5 bucks for the match.

I used to play a weekly $10, $10, $10 game with separate betting for front, back, and total where if anyone tied it was a push and that played fairly over the year.

Now one the only game I ever get in is a summer holiday weekend game at the beach ran by a CPA that’s so confusing I’m not really sure what is happening. I just play my game and hope I don’t owe anybody at the end of the round.

Played an interesting game today for the first time called "Vegas". Everybody hits their tee shot, the two balls furthest to the left and furthest to the right determine partners for that hole. Use full handicap, multiply partners net scores by each other and that determines how many points you scored on that hole. So say one team had a 4 and a 5, score is 20, the other team both 4's, score is 16. We played .50 a point today, so in that case with a 4 point differential two guys lost $2, and the other two won $2. The biggest loser for the day only lost $3. I won $6 :bashful:. Max score is triple bogey. You need 2 score cards, one for everybody's actual score, and the other to keep a running count on individual point differentials since you're potentially changing partners every hole.

Another good game is 45. Establish partners and use full handicap, or fair teams based on players handicaps and just use gross scores. We usually play match play instead of stroke play. You must use a minimum of 4 scores from each player for the nine holes, best ball format, and you must declare whose score you're going to use after each hole is completed, and prior to teeing off on the next hole. Alternate each hole regarding who has to declare first. Ideally you get to the last hole with each player having satisfied their minimum of 4 scores, but that is tougher to do than you think.

I like wolf hammer but won’t be the person keeping tabs of all the hammers and trash that gets scored.

Usually I’ll play a Nassau or $5/$10 a hole.

Play 3-5-7 a lot. $3 for par, $5 for birdie & $7 for eagle.

Throughout the round I’ll throw a few side bets on up and downs, putts or whatever pops up

mikeg_74;n8884350 said:
I like wolf hammer but won’t be the person keeping tabs of all the hammers and trash that gets scored.

Usually I’ll play a Nassau or $5/$10 a hole.

Play 3-5-7 a lot. $3 for par, $5 for birdie & $7 for eagle.

Throughout the round I’ll throw a few side bets on up and downs, putts or whatever pops up

Tell me more about 3-5-7 - is that a match format or a 4some?

Nassau is what I play the majority of the time

5/3/1 is another popular game we play

also 6/6/6 where we swap out the pairings in the 4some and play 3 6 hole matches

i’m always down for a little gamble

When playing with my buddies we typically play a $5/10 Nassau with $2/3 junk or $1/2 Skins. We need to start adding some variety to our games though so I'll be keeping an eye out in this thread for new gambling game options.

OITW;n8884359 said:
Tell me more about 3-5-7 - is that a match format or a 4some?

Nassau is what I play the majority of the time

5/3/1 is another popular game we play

also 6/6/6 where we swap out the pairings in the 4some and play 3 6 hole matches

i’m always down for a little gamble

3-5-7 works with any group. You play your ball and if the group all make par or worse and you make a birdie, everyone pays you $5 for that hole. So you made $15 that hole. If two people make the same score you can chose to carry over the amount or not.

Its easier to keep score as teams or a twosome, but playing a foursome it’s not that hard to add up who owes what In the end.

mikeg_74;n8884407 said:
3-5-7 works with any group. You play your ball and if the group all make par or worse and you make a birdie, everyone pays you $5 for that hole. So you made $15 that hole. If two people make the same score you can chose to carry over the amount or not.

Its easier to keep score as teams or a twosome, but playing a foursome it’s not that hard to add up who owes what In the end.

I will be adopting this game for our group. Seems simple enough and a heck of a lot easier to keep score than all the goofy Wolf stuff.

Sandy, Polie, Green Shoes, Suns Out Par. :banghead: They just make crap up.

KY Golfer;n8884662 said:
I will be adopting this game for our group. Seems simple enough and a heck of a lot easier to keep score than all the goofy Wolf stuff.

Sandy, Polie, Green Shoes, Suns Out Par. :banghead: They just make crap up.

Its not that hard if you just keep it simple and you have one guy you trust to keep track of it. the biggest thing is setting the dot value at the beginning and what hole each is worth when playing wolf. I pulled this from the web a long time ago and when I play Wolf Hammer its usually this way

- Hammer Doubles the current bet on the line
- Junk Dots are as follows
  • Hogan - fwy and green in reg
  • Arnie - Par on a 4 or 5 without hitting a fairway
  • Jones - birdie on a par 4 or 5 while hitting the fwy and green in reg
  • Sandie - up and down from the sand
  • Super Sandie - par from a fairway bunker
  • Sadam - chipping in from the bunker
  • Chippy - chip in from off the green
  • Barkie - Hit a tree and make par
  • Sharkie - hit a water shot and still make par
  • Skank - make a par after a bad tee shot (OB or from the junk)
  • Flaggie - putt made from longer than the flag stick
  • Rattler - When a ball hits the flag stick and goes in to make par or better (cant be with the putter)
  • Snake - 3 putt and lose a point/dot
  • Greenie - closest to the pin

Rarely do most of the people I play with make wagers. I do play with a couple guys who play for a Mt. Dew because they work together and for them its just fun to make the other guy do the walk of shame at work. Occasionally I will play with some seniors I know that have a small side bet but everytime they make it a little different and just decide before the round what it will be.

If it's just a 4some it'll be team match play. 5$ Nassau, sometimes the back is pressed automatically, 2 down presses are optional. birdies, sandies greenies are sometimes played.

If we have more than 1 group it's 2 best balls 1 gross 1 net. 5$ front 5$ back 5$ total and then individual skins 5$

If it's an uneven number of players we'll play individual points and pay two places front back and total

j_sizzle9;n8884239 said:
Seems really cool and I love all the ways to “score” but so much to keep track of! I’’d need a laptop and spreadsheet on the course...or...I’d have to retain McLovin as my CPA to keep track of the bets all day!

yeah, auditor materiality won't go over too well here. you need a nitpicky tax guy to make sure it's on the up-and-up haha

The game my league always plays is simply called "the putting game". Game doesn't start until all players are on or near the green. The game is simple and the object is to 1 putt. Furthest away is worth $4, next $3 and so on. You only get one chance to make money on each green. Chip ins or hole outs are worth $5. Its fun, puts a little something on the line and everyone can play because its not about how far you can hit it, its literally putting for dough haha

Wolf Hammer in Sept? I nominate you as tribute for score keeping sizzle

mikeg_74 I really like that 3-5-7 game. Seems like fun and relatively easy to track.
jdtox love the putt for dough game. Doesn't matter handicap or skill level, every person has one big time put to hole.
chefkritter I'll keep the score, but i need you to tell me who got what each hole. That game seems so fun and I want to play, but just blows my mind how you remember all that junk!

Who else has some good games? I'll definitely be looking to implement some of these into my rounds.

Keep em coming!

mbenro;n8884256 said:
Played an interesting game today for the first time called "Vegas". Everybody hits their tee shot, the two balls furthest to the left and furthest to the right determine partners for that hole. Use full handicap, multiply partners net scores by each other and that determines how many points you scored on that hole. So say one team had a 4 and a 5, score is 20, the other team both 4's, score is 16. We played .50 a point today, so in that case with a 4 point differential two guys lost $2, and the other two won $2. The biggest loser for the day only lost $3. I won $6 :bashful:. Max score is triple bogey. You need 2 score cards, one for everybody's actual score, and the other to keep a running count on individual point differentials since you're potentially changing partners every hole.

Another good game is 45. Establish partners and use full handicap, or fair teams based on players handicaps and just use gross scores. We usually play match play instead of stroke play. You must use a minimum of 4 scores from each player for the nine holes, best ball format, and you must declare whose score you're going to use after each hole is completed, and prior to teeing off on the next hole. Alternate each hole regarding who has to declare first. Ideally you get to the last hole with each player having satisfied their minimum of 4 scores, but that is tougher to do than you think.

We play a variation of Vegas...

Foursome, two teams of two. Bob and Jim are team 1, Chris and Steve are team two.

Bob makes a 3, Jim makes a 4. Their score is 34 (lowest number goes in the 10s column).

Steve makes a 5, Chris makes a 4. Their score is 45.

Bob and Jim just got 11 points.

We usually play 10 cents a point. Occasionally if it was just payday or something and we're all feeling flush we'll play a dollar a point =)

Back