Gambling Golf Games!

5150;n8885573 said:
We play a variation of Vegas...

Foursome, two teams of two. Bob and Jim are team 1, Chris and Steve are team two.

Bob makes a 3, Jim makes a 4. Their score is 34 (lowest number goes in the 10s column).

Steve makes a 5, Chris makes a 4. Their score is 45.

Bob and Jim just got 11 points.

We usually play 10 cents a point. Occasionally if it was just payday or something and we're all feeling flush we'll play a dollar a point =)

mbenro and 5150 how could I forget about Vegas.

Really cool looking game and I love the randomness of whose team you are on.

45 seems really cool too and I like how you are forced to keep both teammates involved!

Re: Wolf and variations... some guys in my group like that one. I'm not a fan; too complicated. Any game where we have to spend 15 minutes at the 19th hole with a calculator figuring out who owes what just goes over my head. Gotta keep it simple for morons like me.

Couple more that we play...

Blind Draw - $5 or $10 a head goes in the pot. Must have an even number of players, everyone play your own ball, we draw names out of a hat at the end. If I draw you, we compare scorecards and take the best score on each hole and that's our total score as a team.

Snake - best with a foursome... I'll use the same names I used in the previous post... Steve, Chris, Bob and Jim are a foursome. Steve 3 putts number one - he's now The Snake, and the Snake Pit now has $5 (or whatever amount you decide) in it.

Chris three putts hole 3. Now he's the snake, and there is $10 (two holes) in the Snake Pit.

Chris and Steve BOTH three putt hold 8 - nothing changes... no new money in the Snake Pit if more than one person 3 putts.

Last person to three putt ends up as the snake and pays out the whole Snake Pit. The other 3 players split the proceeds.

We had a round a couple weeks back with a total of 9 three putts, including one guy who ONLY 3 putted 18... he became the snake and had to pay it all out. Ha.

j_sizzle9;n8885579 said:
mbenro and 5150 how could I forget about Vegas.

Really cool looking game and I love the randomness of whose team you are on.

45 seems really cool too and I like how you are forced to keep both teammates involved!

We keep Vegas simple by assigning two teams for the whole round rather than choose on each hole. I think that's what keeps us from needing a spreadsheet to settle up.

Oh, one other one, but I don't have a name for it...

I try to always find something to do if we're waiting on a tee box. Keeps the boredom and frustration down.

One easy game is we all chip to see who can get closest to the tee marker. The catch is that you have to chip with the club you plan to use off the tee for that hole.

Everyone throws down a dollar, or a $5, or $10, or whatever, and we chip for the pot.

mbenro:

The Vegas described by 5150 is the orthodox way of determine the score for each team. We play 25 cents a point. All scores are net where the other 3 players gets their pops off the lowest handicap player. So in 5150's example each player of the winning team would win 11 x $0.25 = $2.75. The more bloodier way of playing would be if one player of the winning team gets a birdie the losing team's scores are flipped with the higher score listed first. So again, using 5150's example say Bob's 3 is a net birdie he and Jim are still 34 but Steve and Chris would be 54 instead of 45, thus making the difference 20.

When we have a foursome the partners on each hole are determined by each player's tee shot (the two on the left versus the two on the right.) The tee off rotation is consistent during the hole round (i.e., Player 1 tees off on Holes #1, 5, 9, 13, 17, etc.) There is a bloodier version also where the partners are the two players in the middle after the tee shots versus the two on the sides.

mikeg_74:

Of course all Junk Bets are for par or better (net score)

Birdie is worth a dot (on top of all other eligible dots)

Your Chipping is called Nastie in our game (putter off the green counts)

Your Flaggie is called Polie in our game

Your Sadam would be a Sandie and Nastie so it would be 2 dots (and if it's a birdie it would be 3)

Our Flaggie is a tee shot that's within the flagstick of the hole

We negotiate for Eagles and Aces, minimum 5 dots but if some players are a lot worse than the other he might get 10 dots (so far no one has gotten an eagle or an ace yet)

Last edited:
mikeg_74;n8884407 said:
3-5-7 works with any group. You play your ball and if the group all make par or worse and you make a birdie, everyone pays you $5 for that hole. So you made $15 that hole. If two people make the same score you can chose to carry over the amount or not.

Its easier to keep score as teams or a twosome, but playing a foursome it’s not that hard to add up who owes what In the end.

We play 3-5-7 as well. Fun game.

aceinspace;n8885651 said:
mbenro:

The Vegas described by 5150 is the orthodox way of determine the score for each team. We play 25 cents a point. All scores are net where the other 3 players gets their pops off the lowest handicap player. So in 5150's example each player of the winning team would win 11 x $0.25 = $2.75. The more bloodier way of playing would be if one player of the winning team gets a birdie the losing team's scores are flipped with the higher score listed first. So again, using 5150's example say Bob's 3 is a net birdie he and Jim are still 45 but Steve and Chris would be 54 instead of 45, thus making the difference 20.

Ooooooh I like the birdie thing... I think we'll call it Flipping the Bird, haha.

We almost always have some sort of action going. Keeps it fresh.

The clubhouse at our club has a patio overlooking #1, which is a 185y par 3, over a pond, over the road into the property, long is OB. REALLY tough opening hole especially as there is no range so it's usually the first swing of the day.

In a couple hours I'll be at league. The guys who are in league but are off tonight will be on that patio, cash in hand, loudly gambling on our tee shots. It's awesome setting up for your first shot of the match and hearing "I'll lay $5 that 5150 hits it in the drink."

5150;n8885590 said:
We keep Vegas simple by assigning two teams for the whole round rather than choose on each hole. I think that's what keeps us from needing a spreadsheet to settle up.

Yeah, the one scorecard does look like spreadsheet, got a good laugh out of that card.

mbenro;n8885713 said:
Yeah, the one scorecard does look like spreadsheet, got a good laugh out of that card.

When you are dealing with having potentially different partners throughout the round, you just need to simplify the math before you do the heavy lifting. A game like Vegas the most common points are 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 20, and 21 so when you see the each of the 4 players having the same points (albeit on different holes), you can simply cancel everyone out. Say after you have done so you are left with:

Player A 72
Player B 95
Player C 124
Player D 48

You then zero out the low man by subtracting 48 from everyone so here are the new numbers:

A 24
B 47
C 76
D 0

Assuming one player on the winning team on each hole only collects from one player from the losing team (i.e. If A and B are the winners on Hole No. 7 over C and D for 11 points A will win 11, B will also win 11, C will lose 11, and D will also lose 11) you have to divide the above number by 2 since you cannot collect from your partner (i.e. it's 2v2 not 1v3). Thus:

A 12
B 23.5 (we will drop the 0.5 so we don't have to deal with any fraction of a point)
C 38
D 0

Now you multiple each players points by 3 and then subtract the total points from the other 3 players in order to come up with the net for that particular player. The result can be positive (win) or negative (loss) or sometimes zero (no blood):

A 12 x 3 - 23 - 38 = -25
B 23 x 3 - 12 - 38 = 19
C 38 x 3 - 12 - 23 = 79
D 0 x 3 - 12 - 23 - 38 = -73

So if each point is worth $1 A loses $25, B wins $19, C wins $79 and D loses $73. To check the math the ledger should be balanced (i.e., equaling zero):

-25 + (-73) = -98
19 + 79 = 98

98 - 98 = 0

You can use similar procedure as above to calculate dot bets. However, in that case you don't have to divide by 2 first because every dot you win you are collecting from 3 other players (i.e. 1v3 not 2v2)

Last edited:
aceinspace;n8886457 said:
When you are dealing with having potentially different partners throughout the round, you just need to simplify the math before you do the heavy lifting. A game like Vegas the most common points are 1, 2, 10, 11, 12, 20, and 21 so when you see the each of the 4 players having the same points (albeit on different holes), you can simply cancel everyone out. Say after you have done so you are left with:

Player A 72
Player B 95
Player C 124
Player D 48

You then zero out the low man by subtracting 48 from everyone so here are the new numbers:

A 24
B 47
C 76
D 0

Assuming one player on the winning team on each hole only collects from one player from the losing team (i.e. If A and B are the winners on Hole No. 7 over C and D for 11 points A will win 11, B will also win 11, C will lose 11, and D will also lose 11) you have to divide the above number by 2 since you cannot collect from your partner (i.e. it's 2v2 not 1v3). Thus:

A 12
B 23.5 (we will drop the 0.5 so we don't have to deal with any fraction of a point)
C 38
D 0

Now you multiple each players points by 3 and then subtract the total points from the other 3 players in order to come up with the net for that particular player. The result can be positive (win) or negative (loss) or sometimes zero (no blood):

A 12 x 3 - 23 - 38 = -25
B 23 x 3 - 12 - 38 = 19
C 38 x 3 - 12 - 23 = 79
D 0 x 3 - 12 - 23 - 38 = -73

So if each point is worth $1 A loses $25, B wins $19, C wins $79 and D loses $73. To check the math the ledge shall be balanced (i.e., equaling zero):

-25 + (-73) = -98
19 + 79 = 98

98 - 98 = 0

You can use similar procedure as above to calculate dot bets. However, in that case you don't have to divide by 2 first because every dot you win you are collecting from 3 other players (i.e. 1v3 not 2v2)

chevy.jpg

[/QUOTE]

As they say the guy with the pencil (in this case, having the scorecard in hand and doing the calculation at the end of the round) usually doesn't lose. I encourage everyone to put what he had learned in third grade to use.

Love Wolf (sometimes called Ship's Captain by some) with 5 players. We add in some extra variables like roll and re-roll (only from the tee) where a team (once set after the Wolf has picked) can double the bet, and the other team can double it again. We've played another version called "Cube" where the doubling can happen at any point through the hole, and a team can surrender at the current bet if they don't think they can win or tie. Those get kind of crazy as there is no limit to how many times you can double (I once made a 3' putt to either a) halve the hole, or b) lose $2,400; it was the most nervous moment in golf I've had over 42 years...

Animals is fun if you're playing an extremely difficult course. You keep track of how many Gorillas (lost or OB), Snakes (3-putts), Fish (ball in water hazard) and Camels (ball in bunker). It doesn't matter who makes the most along the way; what matters is who makes the LAST animal in each category. E.g. if I 3-putt the last hole and make the last Snake, I would owe each person in the group $1 X # of Snakes on the day. We don't allow people to wedge it down the 18th hole either... lol

Alot of awesome games i'll consider throwing into the mix.

aceinspace good thing some of us are good at math!

pattyboy21 Animals seems fun!

Anyone else have a fun game?

There is a deck of Animals cards you can buy (just Google). Here are some additional members of the zoo (I had copied it directly from the site):

• The Gorilla - for any errant shot that lands Out-of-Bounds

• The Turtle - for that mishit tee shot short of Ladies' Tee (men), short of fairway (ladies)

• The Duck - for that massive hook or slice that results in your ball winding up on the wrong hole

• The Frog - for hitting your ball into a water hazard

• The Armadillo - when your golf ball bounces or ricochets off a cart path, rock, or other solid object

• The Woodpecker - a solid, loud hit onto a tree, someone's house, fence, or other wooden object

• The Alligator - The Unplayable Lie (anytime your ball is not playable where it lies, other than in a water hazard)

• The Camel - for any shot that comes to rest in a sand trap

• The Gopher - The Lost ball (anywhere in bounds other than in a water hazard)

• The Chicken - for making that great putt that's tracking to the hole perfectly... BUT you leave it just short

• The Snake - for 3-putting a green, or worse

• The Skunk - Excessive strokes: Triple bogey or higher. Bad bad hole. Forget. Move to next.

... YES, its quite possible to commit two or more errors resulting from the same stroke!

As they say the guy with the pencil (in this case, having the scorecard in hand and doing the calculation at the end of the round) usually doesn't lose. I encourage everyone to put what he had learned in third grade to use. [/QUOTE]

Granted, but I have a different perspective:

I go to the golf course to get away from solving math problems. If I wanted that I’d stay at work and deal with the budget ;-)

Same reason I won’t be the captain in league, and I won’t organize the money games... for me golf is about relaxing and not being responsible anything other than my ball and my bar tab.

My buddies and I play wolf It seems to fit well with players of different skill levels

Umbriago is our game of choice. It is a partners game with 6 points available per hole. You get 1 point for birdie/eagle, 1 point for closest to pin, 2 point for low ball, 2 point for high ball. The points per hole are then multiplied by the hole number.If a team gets all 6 points (an umbi) the points double to 12 x the hole on the back. An umbi on the front 9 equals 100 points regardless of the hole number. We usually play for a dime a point.

Some examples on the 4th hole if team A has a birdie, a par and closest to the pin and team B has 2 pars. Team A would get 16 points - 1 point for the birdie, 1 point for closet to pin, 2 points for low ball X 4th hole. The high ball cancels out since both teams high score was par. On if Team B has a birdie, a par and closest to the pin and Team A has a par and a bogey. Team B would get 216 points - 1 point birdie, 1 point closest to pin, 2 points low ball and 2 points high ball (Team A's bogey gives Team B the high ball points). The umbi (all 6 points) doubles to 12 x 18th hole for 216.

Anyone ever play “Tilt”?

Ive been watching some No Laying Up content and they seem to play it pretty often.

Looks like a variation of a stabelford game and seems pretty fun.

I’ve never voluntarily gambled on the course. I’ve only done it when a big group all wants to and I fell like I need to go along. I’m always the worst guy in the group, so it’s in my best interest to avoid it. Of the gambling I have done I’ve never understood any of it. Fortunately I can trust the guys I play with enough to know they wouldn’t screw me. I’ve even won a few bucks now and then, but only when a partner carries me.

My regular guys and I play a pretty simple game.

Birdie = $2
Par = $1
Sandy = $2
CTP = $1

I like to play left right in a foursome. The 2 left players are teammates and the 2 right are teammates. We play low ball and low total for $1 a point playing off the low man's handicap.

Our putting game is a little different. Everyone puts $20 into the pot. We spin a tee to determine order. Whoever is first has the money.

He or she loses the money when they three put. Then, it goes to the next person in line who two putt that hole. The process continues, and whoever has the money after 18 brings it home.

I usually keep it simple with a Nassau, but with one of my buddies, we play a buck a hole, plus a buck a stroke, with ties carrying both dollars over. It really gets the blood pumping after a series of tied holes.

I don't know what you call what we do. I guess it's just skins with dots or something.
Skins are a dot, and they do carry over
CP is a dot
Blue plate is a dot (Cp on a par 5)
Birdies and eagles are a dot
Sand saves are a dot

I think that's all there is.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Golf trip we played a game I will call 1/1/1... First one on the green 1 point, closest to pin 1 point, first one to hole it 1 point (must follow correct order)

Also don't the left vs right teams and the partner score adds

Back