Your Preferred Course Features

GraniteRoost

Flying Rocks
Albatross 2023 Club Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
6 Grint
What architectural features of a golf course are most appealing to you? I.e. What type of course would you play given the choice? For example, maybe you like target golf? Or prefer open layouts - Bombs away! Nice Greens? Chipping Areas? Desert Areas? Affinity for pot bunkers? Tight Doglegs with trees and water?

This question could be extended to the whole facility, such as grass range, great restaurant, electric carts with GPS, etc. but was primarily focused on course layout. What moves you?

Nice greens are always a must, and the harder the layout the more I like it. Course doesn’t have to be long to be challenging. Just a solid test that’s fair for all I think. If it’s wide open and not very challenging I tend to swing wilder and hit worse shots.

I am a fan of chipping areas, slopey greens, and contoured green complexes. And I agree the harder the layout the more I like it, and, the course has gotta "flow". If you know, you know.

GraniteRoost;n8884294 said:
What architectural features of a golf course are most appealing to you? I.e. What type of course would you play given the choice? For example, maybe you like target golf? Or prefer open layouts - Bombs away! Nice Greens? Chipping Areas? Desert Areas? Affinity for pot bunkers? Tight Doglegs with trees and water?

This question could be extended to the whole facility, such as grass range, great restaurant, electric carts with GPS, etc. but was primarily focused on course layout. What moves you?

Everything that Crumpin has and is about I could play it everyday for the rest of my life and be content.

OITW;n8884347 said:
Everything that Crumpin has and is about I could play it everyday for the rest of my life and be content.

I am right there with you. And I feel the same about Green Mountain National and Montcalm near be. And then I think about the Church Pews at Oakmont, the bunkering and greens at Carnoustie or _(insert links of choice)_, the postage stamp at Myopia, any number of holes at Pebble Beach. I'm a terrain ****, hard to stay married. I love exploring new courses.

OITW;n8884347 said:

I'm often in need of a more open layout off the tee, but that place was great.

Give me quick greens that roll true and I'm a happy guy. I can certainly get behind a course with some classic style (template holes or not).

brianmk24;n8884386 said:
I'm often in need of a more open layout off the tee, but that place was great.

Give me quick greens that roll true and I'm a happy guy. I can certainly get behind a course with some classic style (template holes or not).

Majority of my lost shots
Were on the greens

You played fantastic your tee game was on point - if you play like that you would chew up an open layout

OITW;n8884401 said:
Majority of my lost shots
Were on the greens

You played fantastic your tee game was on point - if you play like that you would chew up an open layout

Friday and Saturday were pretty good rounds off the tee, but I struggled on Sunday by hitting the stupid high slice. I scrambled my butt off though (8/13 up&down on the way to an 84). The Stroke Lab Double Wide is amazing. I need to find that thread.

I just envision True Blue as my ideal course for tee shots.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

GraniteRoost;n8884294 said:

I like second shot golf courses. Links with bunkers and hard turns, allowing a tee ball to create a wedge or a 5 iron into the green depending on swing.

prefer bombs away, but also requiring draws and cuts

prefer medium sized greens, and in great shape with slope but nothing stupid

prefer a great driving range with lots of targets and decent range balls

prefer a practice green that is comparable speed to the course

prefer flat tee boxes. a sloped tee box is an abomination.

enjoy a nice locker room, and a nice restaurant with a decent menu and a nice draft beer selection

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My favorite courses are fair off the tee but really challenging on approach and around the greens, so called "2nd shot courses". That said course features that I like/dislike depend on the type of course it is to begin with.
Not a fan of parkland courses where guys can just bunt & roll their approach shots up onto the putting surface all day, but that same quality in a Links course is a must.

I really don't have much of a preference beyond not having the holes lined with houses. I care more that the course is kept up reasonably well than anything else.

Hills and valleys, natural water features, mature trees, and well manicured. I loved golf in the Texas Hill Country because all of that was normal. South Florida golf is nice but all the courses are so similar because little about them is natural but there are exceptions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bump for the morning crowd - how do you like your torture served?

Greens along water: May sound silly, but it's cool to see the wooden walls built holding it up. Maybe it's from seeing it all these years at Sawgrass, but I've always liked that look architecturally.
Open Layout Courses: Especially with room to miss on the right!
Elevated Tee Boxes on Par 3s
Golf Holes that are uphill towards the green: Makes that thinned shot not penalize me as much!
Electric Carts
Long drives from green to next tee box
Holes with picturesque views
Courses that DON'T have someone waiting for you at the 18th green so they can clean your clubs. Just don't like it!!

Back