What was the first set of clubs you gamed?

e1iterate

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
I still remember being in school and begging my grandmother to buy me the full box set of Northwestern clubs from Wal-Mart. She caved and bought them like any other grandmother would. Also remember getting a Spalding putter and gaming that with my set.

Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sam Snead Blue Ridge - Driver, 3w, 5w, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, SW, putter

Wilson 1200LT boxed set from about 40 years ago.

I grew up in a pub back in the UK. When I took a like to the game, one of the regulars donated an old set of Ben Sayers to me. The shafts had a hickory type vinyl covering, the faces had dots instead of grooves and the set contained a mashie niblick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First set of clubs I had was made up of clubs that my father & grandfather no longer played. I had a Callaway Great Big Bertha Warbird driver, Callaway Big Bertha Warbird 3/5/7 woods, Ping Eye2 irons (3-SW), and a Ping Anser putter.

*Range Rat;n8884465 said:
Sam Snead Blue Ridge - Driver, 3w, 5w, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, SW, putter

I forgot about those gapped sets like this. Man lol!

My first set was a dunlop boxed set. Horrible clubs, but I didn't know any better at the time.

A set of clubs from the 70s given to me by my father-in-law. I started with real woods.

taylormade burner bubble driver

some steel shafted dynatech (i think) fairways my grandfather gave me

some graphite shafted cheapo irons a friend gave me (don’t recall the brand)

matching wedges to the cheapo irons obviously

zebra putter

e1iterate;n8884451 said:
I still remember being in school and begging my grandmother to buy me the full box set of Northwestern clubs from Wal-Mart. She caved and bought them like any other grandmother would. Also remember getting a Spalding putter and gaming that with my set.

Good times.

Same Northwestern here. I bought it my self on the way to my first golf lesson. Never touched a golf before that. Paid 199.00 at K-Mart.

e1iterate;n8884451 said:

Good times.

Same here, except I bought them at Big 5.

First set was a use Spalding set driver, 3 wood (made of actual wood)was that old. Think it had 5 irons and a Wilson putter

My first set were Ping eye 2 irons that I purchased from 2nd Swing in Irving TX

I never played golf, but after moving to TX my co-workers all played golf. So, to fit in I bought my first set and started playing. Might be the one thing that was worth moving to TX for the time I was there.

Ping Eye 2 orange dots copper-beryllium, which I still have. They were given to me by a friend when he heard I was interested.

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

The very first set I got in high school was a mixed bag of hand-me-downs that comprised of several different brands I don't remember. The 7-iron was my favorite even though the shaft was slightly bent and required a little Kentucky windage! Those got me through the first couple years until I saved up enough for a set of Tommy Armour 845s.

'Gamed' being relative, I'm pretty sure it was my grandma's clubs. No idea what they were, but they worked fine for a kid. I remember buying my first set of irons used and I think they were Wilson Ultra's or 1200's. I know that's what I had when I saved up for my first 'new' club. The original Big Bertha with the 190cc head, which I still have.

A few Northwestern sets in here. Love it!

McLovin;n8884518 said:
taylormade burner bubble driver

some steel shafted dynatech (i think) fairways my grandfather gave me

some graphite shafted cheapo irons a friend gave me (don’t recall the brand)

matching wedges to the cheapo irons obviously

zebra putter

Dude the Zebra was amazing!

Wilson 1200LT irons. What a throwback!

Sox_Fan;n8884470 said:
Wilson 1200LT boxed set from about 40 years ago.

This!

Dad got me a set of Wilson 1200.'s with the twist in the shaft.

Wilson Patty Berg Signatures’ from my mom. I was small when I started playing at age 12 and I played those all the way through the spring of my freshman year. I was the only guy playing varsity golf with a set of Ladies clubs, lol.

Northwestern Ultimate irons and woods I got for Christmas when I was a kid. I was so excited because I would shag balls for Bruce Crampton and watch him hit balls for hours. He played Northwestern Thunderbirds. He had a beautiful swing.

Do plastic Fisher Price clubs count? But seriously, I had a set of persimmons that I couldnt recall the name of. They were women's clubs but they had a beautiful blue/green finish on them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I remember my dad giving me some old clubs of his, can’t remember the irons but woods were persimmon. The first complete set I remember was from Walmart, a Dunlap ladies bag and clubs, I think Driver, 3w, 5w, and 3i 5i 7i 9i maybe SW and putter, along with a bag. Had to use that because the height of men's clubs were too tall for me and kids were too small so ladies was right in the middle. For some reason as a teenage boy I didn't care my clubs were purple, if I knew what I knew now, I would have paint filled all that probably black or blue that night!

Ping Eye 2 irons, full set from3 to LW

Back