What was the first set of clubs you gamed?

As a junior it was a king cobra knockoff set / ravens or something like that.

When I got back into the game, ping g25s. Still love those.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wilson Staff Tour blades

Staff_Blade.jpg

Last edited:
not exactly sure, played mixed cut down sets growing up. I want to say I had a partial cobra set in middle school at some point. First set I vividly remember was a passed down set of wilson Fat Shafts.

Last edited:
e1iterate;n8884451 said:
I still remember being in school and begging my grandmother to buy me the full box set of Northwestern clubs from Wal-Mart. She caved and bought them like any other grandmother would. Also remember getting a Spalding putter and gaming that with my set.

Good times.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Same here. Northwestern 3 wood & 8 iron set from KMart. I'm sure I picked up a no name putter from KMart, too. As they say, the rest is history.

e1iterate;n8884451 said:
I still remember being in school and begging my grandmother to buy me the full box set of Northwestern clubs from Wal-Mart. She caved and bought them like any other grandmother would. Also remember getting a Spalding putter and gaming that with my set.

Good times.

First legit set of irons was a set of knockoff 845's. They were awesome.

e1iterate;n8884574 said:
Dude the Zebra was amazing!

probably not a coincidence that i love the tuttle so much ;)

Dr - Cleveland Launcher Comp
Irons - Cleveland CG7 Black Pearl 3-PW
Wedges - Cleveland CG14 black
Putter - Odyssey dual force something or other (rossie shape)

Palm Springs...I think that’s what they were called. Had them when I was a teen.

Mine were a hand-me-down set of MaxFli with regular graphite shafts - that my brother used to play in high school. They were absolutely the worst clubs, but they helped get the juices going.

Cleveland TA7 Irons

The set I started with was a junk set from a flea market I got for $5. My first “real” set was a full set of Snake Eyes Python woods & irons with an Alien putter

After a junior half set, I bought a used set of Spalding Top Flite woods and irons in HS. The woods were persimmon and both had leather wrap grips. Never even thought about regripping them. Who knew you did that. The next set was Wilson Staff Dynapower woods and irons. Those were awesome back in the day.

My Dad, Mom, older bro and I all started to play in 1958. I was 5. Bro and I shared a set of Wilson's D, 3w, 3, 5, 7, 9, and blade putter. I used those for about 5 years until I got the bro's hand-me-down set of Sam Snead's of same configuration but longer that fit me much better then. I always got older bro's cast offs until I was about 14 or 15, but was always extremely excited to get "new" clubs.

I think learning to play the game with those 7 clubs was a key to my developing golf skills. I could shoot in the 30's for 9 with them by the time I was 11 years old.

I picked the game up in college. My first set was a bunch of no name stuff from a flea market, augmented with some freebies from Warrior!! My first actual set was a boxed set from Dick's - forget what their house brand was at the time.

Wilson Super Powers , Persimmon Woods, Cavity back irons ....... The best set money (from a paper route) could buy for a teenager !

Junior set of Palm Springs clubs that I got for Christmas one year.

My first set was my dads hand me down Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear clubs. The woods were actually wood.
The heads of several clubs were barely on the shafts after the repeated abuse I submitted them to. LOL!!

3 years ago I decided to get a set of pre-owned clubs from Callaway and those are currently what I am using until I get a bit better and then get a real set of fit for me clubs.

My dad had a set of Titleist DTRs that I absolutely loved. He eventually gave them to me when I started showing some interest in playing in high school and I kept them in the bag until I turned 30. I learned years later than he had saved for them forever, but took them out of his bag and went back to a set of 1970s Continental blades because he knew I liked them so much.

A box set of Wilson’s from a big box store in the late 90’s. I totally abused them and didn’t appreciate this beautiful game at that time. I just want something I could take out and drink some beverages on the course with my knucklehead buddies...the drinks were the priority at the time.

So many box sets in this thread. Amazing to think about when I’m such a club snob now.

It was some used, beat up set. I think the brand may have been Delta. Man was excited for them though.

A set of Knight Virage that I bought at Wal-Mart. I destroyed the woods by the end of the first season but the irons I actually gamed for quite few years before I bought a set of Titleists. My wedges were Pinemeadow and putter was a Northwestern.

I was pumping gas after high school to save money to buy a car. (back in those days parents just didn't automatically buy kids a car)
After borrowing and renting clubs for the summer to play, I decided that I was in love with golf more than the idea of getting a car.
So, I had my dad take me to Pay-n-Pak in Airway Heights, Washington and I spent a lot of my car savings on clubs.
I bought a setup they had there that consisted of....

Spalding Championship clubs. (1-3-5 woods, 3-5-7-9 irons, putter)
A black and red bag, a bag of tees and a dozen Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear balls.

Back