What was the first set of clubs you gamed?

After getting hooked on golf last year, a set of Wilson K-28 irons I found at the transfer station for nothing and a RBZ 2 Tour driver I paid 75 dollars for. Played them all last summer. Currently playing all 2-4 generations old Mizuno clubs that I purchased over the course of this past winter.

Late 1980's, Browning blades that some golf store guy talked me into. Moved on from those as soon as I could.

Dunlop box set from WalMart. They were good for me at the time. Moved into some Hippo’s I found at play it again sports after that.

My first set of clubs was a box set of Knight clubs from Walmart my parents got me. When I was 16 I bought my first set, which were some Mizuno T-Zoid Pro's and played them for years!

My first set of new irons was the Ping Zing 2. I remember that day very clearly. My dad came into the house holding a new 3 wood, I asked who that was for hoping it was me. No luck, it was for my brother. My dad told me to get the groceries out of the back of his truck and I stomped out there to find a big box of beautiful irons! I tore them out of the box, threw them in my bag and my dad and I went to play 9 holes!

Wow! Does this bring back memories. Was waiting to be discharged from the service and one of the guys invited me to play with him on the base course. As soon as we got done I went to the Pro Shop and bought a Spalding Starter Set. August 1966. 10 years later June 3rd 1976 I passed PAT for the PGA and have been a Professional since.

*Range Rat;n8884465 said:
Sam Snead Blue Ridge - Driver, 3w, 5w, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i, SW, putter

Same here, it was a graduation present from my parents when I graduated 8th grade.

Being as I’m new to the game I am still playing my very first set.... and it’s an old set I bought brand new, never hit, for $50.

Tommy armour 845 oversized plus irons 4-9. I’ve tried plenty of new GI and SGI irons and have “hated” all of them compared to the 845s. They are all clunky and have no feel to them comparatively. So I will continue to use these until I get good enough to get new irons. I don’t think they hinder my game one bit. I absolutely love these irons.

All of my other clubs are “newer” but I have already come to terms with the fact that I will never buy new, just like my cars. All the clubs I have cost me $300 and within a year I shot a round of +15 two weekends ago, and had my first eagle last weekend. I love this game! I’ve learned early on that it really doesn’t matter what clubs you have, it’s the confidence you have in those clubs that really matters.

Spalding Johnny Palmer (not Arnie) from the late 60s. 2 woods (1 and 3), 4 irons (3, 5, 7 and 9) and a two faced putter.

A used set of Northwestern clubs that I bought off a friend in high school. Think I was like 15 or 16 years old.
No putter though. I ended up with a double sided putter from my grandmother's golf bag.

Thinking back, I don't know how I ever stuck with the game hitting those clubs. Man I hit them terribly.

My first set came from the wife of my dad's friend she was the only lefthanded player we knew. They were an old set of Spalding's not sure the club name. I caught all sort of heck from her husband for not playing them as well as she could.

I bought a set of irons with a 3-wood and canvas bag from a garage sale in Orlando, FL in 1976 for $5; this was the Summer between 7th and 8th grade and I used these clubs to make my Jr. High team in 8th grade. The 3-wood was a Persimmon MT (MacGregor Tourney) and the irons were also MT's.

At the beginning of 9th grade, I was learning how to refinish, rewhip (remember that!!) and repair woods at Rio Pinar CC where I also picked the range each evening. I refinished the 3-wood (it had a metal face too) and sold it for $35. With that money, I was able to buy a set of Top-flite Professional irons (with the bird and golf ball logo), and I used these all through high school. I rounded out that set with a Tony Penna persimmon driver, a laminated Hogan 3-wood with the "speed slot", a Hogan Fifty-Three Special sand wedge and Bullseye Flange putter. Ah the good ol' days!

My first set was a set of women’s blades with lily flowers in them. They were in mint condition and I actually games the ish out of them in middle school.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

image_36451.jpgFirst set woods.jpg

This was my first set..... 2-9 forged irons. 1,3,4 woods. Found these pictures on e-bay. I think the 6 iron was 34 degrees or something like that.

A set of Powerbuilt clubs from the 1970s. My dad started playing in his early 30s and encouraged me to start playing. He bought a new set and gave me his first set of clubs. I am pretty sure that was 1974. I was 10 that summer. I kept those until 2006, 7, 8 ... somewhere in that timeframe. I think I played with them a couple of times over all those years.

A set of used Titleist Tour Model irons and used MacGregor Persimmon woods. I just love modern tech vs that stuff back then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ladies Tour Edge boxed set, I bought it when GolfSmith was going out of business

Mine was an awesome blue and silver set of Northwestern. 1w, 3w, 3i, 5i, 7i, 9i with a two sided putter. My favourite part were the blue grips.

After my junior set I saved $ from caddying and bought a new set of Wilson Staff irons. In W. Los Angeles, Walter Keller's golf shop. Also a Bullseye putter, and a set of McGregor Tourney woods. That was 1965 and I still have them.

Back