Do you keep track of your score during a round?

OhioGolfer

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Weather
When you are playing a round of golf do you keep track of your score while you are playing? If you don't, do you look at it if you are playing well towards the end to see if you can maybe break a certain score?

I usually know what I'm shooting while I'm playing but occasionally I won't keep track.

I have a brain that keeps track whether I want to or not, so yes. I don’t write it down on the scorecard often unless I’m keeping track for others in my group. Usually one of my buddies is the keeper of the scorecard.

Last edited:
I keep track. I want to know the clubs used on each hole so I track that as well some times.

I keep score on my Garmin watch and don’t think about it much. I get a little surprise after I finish a round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I am playing my normal mid 80s to 90 golf I will tally my score after nine to see what I need to do to break 90. If I have a good round going I do not want to know what is needed to break 80. That has screwed me up more than once.

Keep the number of over, or under on the rare occasion, par in my head. Never write down anything on scorecard if playing by myself or need to wait until someone in the group takes 20 minutes to do math on the scorecard they kept.

yes, and stats too

Sox_Fan;n8884632 said:
Keep the number of over, or under on the rare occasion, par in my head. Never write down anything on scorecard if playing by myself or need to wait until someone in the group takes 20 minutes to do math on the scorecard they kept.

I'm exactly the same, when playing rounds by myself (which is usually about 80% of them), I never keep an actual scorecard.

I write a 0 for par, -1 for birdie, and then a 1 or 2 for bogey/double bogey. I can actually do a pretty good job of not looking at the past scores and trying to figure out where I am score wise. On the rare occasion that I do, I always get in my head and then screw up my round. When I don't I almost always go low. I don't know why, but it is easier for me to forget about holes when all I see are 1's, 0's, -1's instead of the actual number shot on the hole.

I don't know why, but when I put a 2 down I don't feel the need or desire to "make up" for that hole whereas when I would put a 6 or a 7, I always thought and felt that I HAVE to do better on the next hole. Which almost never happens.

tahoebum;n8884610 said:
I have a brain that keeps track whether I want to or not, so yes. I don’t write it down on the scorecard often unless I’m keeping track for others in my group. Usually one of my buddies is the keeper of the scorecard.

Imo its too easy not to know. I keep a score related to par. You know....+1, +2, +4 lol. so bog,bog.doub, and after 3 holes Im +4. Unlike you ..lol probably E,E,E through 3 for an even par or maybe E, -1, -1, (par, bird, par) for a minus 1 through 3 holes. But anyway I find its too easy not to know when done this way.

I always know where my score is in relation to par, dbl bogeys or worse burn a hole in my head longer than they should.

I can't help but keep track mentally. Whether I have the card or not, I know where I stand.

My ShotScope watch keeps tab on my score and I don't look at it until I am home. It lets me concentrate on my game while playing and keeps me from crying on the course in front of others.:bulgy-eyes:

Pretty much always keeping score. Only time I don’t is when things go sideways and I start taking drops, taking huge numbers, etc. Then it’s just about having fun!

If I record the score on my watch I can't avoid seeing where I am at as it shows my score relative to par anyway

I try not to let it affect my decision making, but sometimes I can't avoid it as the round goes on and I am thinking what scores I need to break a certain score

I do write it down, I try to not think about it but I know that I do and a couple times this year it has hurt in the end.

Couldn't help but know my score even if I tried. And in years past I have tried carrying a scorecard, writing down the number after every hole and then putting it out of my mind. Just can't do it. So I don't even bother with the card, I'm a numbers persons and something as simple as 18 single-digit numbers for a round of golf are so simple as to be automatic in my memory.

Being a data guy, I always am keeping track of everything in the round. My Arccos sensor do most of the work, but I am always aware.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I use the scorecard on the cart.

I like to let someone else keep the group score card and I keep a second card in my pocket to jot down numerous metrics after each hole. Even though score is one of them I don't really pay attention to it during the round. I'm much more apt to know how well/poor I'm putting, getting up and down, hitting greens or fairways (and how I'm missing them) as a round progresses than I am to know where my score stands.

Yes, I keep track of scores and stats. I typically do not look at it until I get home after the round and it is uploaded. I did the same thing on a score card back in the day and had all my stats loaded in an Excel spreadsheet. TheGrint makes it so much easier. I am thinking about trying the shot tracker feature next round. I use the stats to know where I need some work, right now, short game and greens in reg.

Yes. I don't write down the actual score. Instead I use a "-" for par, or +/- next to a number for over/under par. If I have a birdie and a bogey I will draw a "/" through both so I can ignore them. So a quick glance at the card and I'll know if I'm over or under and by how much. For example:

-, -, -, +1, -1, -, -, -1, +2.

So the first two 1's would have a / through them so I can ignore them/treat them like a "-". I can look at that quickly and know that I was 1 over for that 9.

OhioGolfer;n8884600 said:
When you are playing a round of golf do you keep track of your score while you are playing? If you don't, do you look at it if you are playing well towards the end to see if you can maybe break a certain score?

I usually know what I'm shooting while I'm playing but occasionally I won't keep track.

If I'm playing well, I don't look at the score. I guess it's the superstitious side of me. I don't want to know where I'm at at give myself bad juju. lol

I almost always know where I am in relation to par. Something I picked up during high school and has always stuck with me.

I always keep score, and have a feature on my GPS watch that asks me each time I am on the green. It's nice, but I sometimes wonder if it gets in my head too much since it always has a thing telling me my score to par. It's great at times to know if I am on pace with how I expect to play, but I have had rounds where my front nine starts amazing, then the wheels fall off. Could be because I am thinking too far ahead, not sure. Used to always just write it done and not add it up until then end, might try that again to see how I perform.

Back