Do you keep track of your score during a round?

I do but I think I want to just start marking relative to par. Make those triples seem a bit less painful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't keep a hole by hole score that I write down, typically after 9 I just re-cap in my head where I'm at and same thing after 18. Very seldom that I wouldn't remember a hole.

OhioGolfer;n8884600 said:
When you are playing a round of golf do you keep track of your score while you are playing? If you don't, do you look at it if you are playing well towards the end to see if you can maybe break a certain score?

I usually know what I'm shooting while I'm playing but occasionally I won't keep track.

I never ever do this! This is the worst thing you could do mentally. "If I par in, I'll shoot this." That gets in your head & all hell breaks loose.

My SkyCaddie SX500 keeps my score for me (after I enter it of course) after every hole. But I don't look at the tally until the end of the round.

But I always know how I stand throughout the round. I know how well or not well I'm playing. I keep score mentally. I rarely mark down the scores on the card unless I'm playing with someone who wants to. I can remember each hole at the end of the round and mark the card then.

I have the score card in front of me, but my brain keeps a rough total anyhow. Some days I can keep that out of my head better than others, but I roughly know where I am at always.

I don't track stats, but I always know my score even if I'm not writing it down.

I always keep score and know exactly what I have shot and expect to shoot after each hole.

I always keep score in my head.

do you look at it if you are playing well towards the end to see if you can maybe break a certain score?

I can't turn that part off. It's a rare day I don't know my exact score, and I consider it a gift.

I definitely do this. I generally have a 'feel really good about the round' number in my head from before or during the round, and if I'm close to it I'll definitely readjust my approach to go after it if needed. When you're only competing against yourself every round is the last round of a tournament in my mind. I'll ask a partner if they're okay with it, but I'm an 'I'm already in the money, might as well go for the win' kind of guy. And being able to turn it on when you need to is a valuable skill, that takes practice. Just like being steady and not looking ahead does.

I use 18birdies to keep all my stats and make it a point to never look at my score until I'm done. The couple of times I did look and was doing relatively well....let's just say the mind games were epic! :bulgy-eyes:

I follow the never add up your score until you’re done rule. Unfortunately Arccos keeps a running tab, at the start of every round I have to cover that part of my phone with a piece of electrical tape. I always enjoy the suspense when the round is over.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don’t. I really can’t say what’s a predictor for that decision.

I usually keep track on my Garmin watch....unless things go really haywire, then I'll just stop and just try and finish the round feeling good about myself.

I didn’t until I came back to the game at the end of last year. Now I track 99% of my rounds

I try not to, and usually don't worry about it until I'm done. That being said, I do usually know where I'm at relative to score when playing.
Once I do make note of score (or where I'm at) , I tend to fall apart after that because I've put more pressure on myself.

My mind knows where I am at all times. I will do statistics by memory after each round.

I have started to now since the Ben Hogan Experience.

slimjim32;n8884672 said:
I write a 0 for par, -1 for birdie, and then a 1 or 2 for bogey/double bogey. I can actually do a pretty good job of not looking at the past scores and trying to figure out where I am score wise. On the rare occasion that I do, I always get in my head and then screw up my round. When I don't I almost always go low. I don't know why, but it is easier for me to forget about holes when all I see are 1's, 0's, -1's instead of the actual number shot on the hole.

I don't know why, but when I put a 2 down I don't feel the need or desire to "make up" for that hole whereas when I would put a 6 or a 7, I always thought and felt that I HAVE to do better on the next hole. Which almost never happens.

That’s a good way to do that.

I don't write the score down in random rounds but my brain knows whether I want to or not.

I write down scores every few holes, but I try not to worry about the total. I play better one shot at a time, and total it up at the end. Of course its impossible not to know in within a couple shots if you are playing better or worse than usual, but I try to keep track of the shot in front of me.

badolds;n8884616 said:
If I am playing my normal mid 80s to 90 golf I will tally my score after nine to see what I need to do to break 90. If I have a good round going I do not want to know what is needed to break 80. That has screwed me up more than once.
Same thing for me.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

When you are playing a round of golf do you keep track of your score while you are playing? If you don't, do you look at it if you are playing well towards the end to see if you can maybe break a certain score?

I usually know what I'm shooting while I'm playing but occasionally I won't keep track.

I've never been able to ignore my score to par. It's just a natural brain function to know where I stand.

I keep my score on my Garmin Aproach G6 and it tells me where I am as I go. I like knowing where I am in relation to my handicap, when under it spurs me to stay under, when over to get back to level.

Most rounds i track the score along with FIR/GIR and putts per hole. I don't track club used or any of that stuff. There are times when I am going out there just to decompress and won't look at the scorecard.

Canadan;n8886504 said:
I've never been able to ignore my score to par. It's just a natural brain function to know where I stand.

Pretty easy when you're usually around par haha. I can say the rounds I struggle and over 85 I usually don't pay attention at all or even think about where I am at score wise while playing.

Back