When (if ever) do you give up?

Im typically playing with my HS kids or their parents, so I grind it out. If they see me stop caring, they tend to find it acceptable to do the same in their tournaments.

I never "give up" nor stop caring about my score no matter how bad things may be going. There is always the challenge for me to see how far back from the abyss I can come.

It’s hard for me to give up but there comes a point where the give a s-/)$ meters hits zero.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I quit unless it’s a competition. Usually if I’m totally flustered after 6-7 holes I’ll pack it in.

DonJuan;n8888869 said:
I'm kinda like you OG, at least lately. The rest of my life is so complicated right now I don't have the patience. I'll try miraculous shots, putt with whatever I have in my hand. Sometimes I'll pick my ball up after my tee shot or approach and go to the next hole. I do it so much that Arccos sends me emails to make sure I understand how to use the system lol. Golf is hard enough as it is without being stressed and frustrated before I even tee off. I started gravitating to my other hobbies lately.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

I have, occasionally, putted with a wedge or 4h if I've chipped one close. I will definitely try hero shots if the round is no longer salvageable. I don't think I've ever just picked up and not finished a hole except when I've lost a ball in a location where it shouldn't be lost and there's a group bearing down on me/us from behind and I can't feasibly go back to hit another. After I cuss myself for not hitting a provisional, I reluctantly enter par + handicap for that hole and just know that the round is no longer legit.

Jman;n8889206 said:
Im typically playing with my HS kids or their parents, so I grind it out. If they see me stop caring, they tend to find it acceptable to do the same in their tournaments.

Understood, 100%. I'm currently trying to get accepted as a volunteered Asst Coach for my kid's HS team. I know that most of the team is probably better skill-wise than I am, but I figure if nothing else I can pass on etiquette and other qualities. I that setting, I'll never give up and goof off.

I tend to grind my rounds out these days. I’ll admit that I would give up in the past.

The interesting thing about grinding it out is that you learn more about yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grinder here. Try to make par or better on every hole without regards to how I am playing.

I just keep clawing and scratching. I have given up on rounds in the past, but now I just fight for every stroke. I guess I am older and less excitable now.

Give up ? Nah...not in my DNA.

OGputtnfool;n8890611 said:
I have, occasionally, putted with a wedge or 4h if I've chipped one close. I will definitely try hero shots if the round is no longer salvageable. I don't think I've ever just picked up and not finished a hole except when I've lost a ball in a location where it shouldn't be lost and there's a group bearing down on me/us from behind and I can't feasibly go back to hit another. After I cuss myself for not hitting a provisional, I reluctantly enter par + handicap for that hole and just know that the round is no longer legit.

Yeah, if I'm competing with a buddy I'll grind it out. It really depends on the day. If I'm already having a bad day and know I'm on the road to a snowman or worse, I'll pick up. I basically calculate if the frustration of making a 10 is worth it. It's usually not. I haven't always been like that, but lately it's where I am with golf. Sometimes it's a pace of play issue. I hate feeling rushed, so I'll pick up to speed up, even though I'm a fairly fast player. I'm trying to cut down on the stress.

DucatiGirl;n8884764 said:
I have on one occasion turned off my ShotScope after the 8th hole - then (as I would expect to happen) when I stopped caring, things settled down. So I try to apply that lesson to every shot: no good shots, no bad shots, just the next shot.

To quote my favorite star trek movie, never give up, never surrender!

From one nerd to another I think that is from Galaxy Quest

Back