What is worse for the game of golf and why?

Mr Boof

Reaction score
Handicap
I've been thinking about this for a while now and curious for the general public's thoughts. So THP, let's have at it!

Which of these is worse for the game of golf and why?
  • The current debate of slow play (looking at De Chambeu here although he is not alone)
  • Sergio Garcia with his lack of anger management​​​​​​​
  • Tiger Woods with the cheating scandal
  • Thorbjorn Olesen's recent court case
  • Anything you think is more appropriate and want to add?
I'll start with saying that I believe Sergio Garcia's outbursts are absolutely horrendous. IMO I believe that he has done a great deal to bring the sport into disrepute and I am surprised that there hasn't been more made of it. With trying to grow the game, having you kids see professionals act like this is just terrible.

So THP, what is worse for the game in your own opinions?

I think people that play golf and/or watch professional golf will continue to do so regardless of any of the above listed items.

And people that don't play and/or watch could care less about what goes on in the golf world.

Sergio because it never ends. Most people would learn their lesson but not Sergio.

if i'm limited to those choices, i guess i would say slow play although i don't think it's a big deal at the pro level.

Hipster golfers with their pink balls, bare feet, ironic mustaches and ridiculous cloths....

The slow play and lack of etiquette.

Golf clubs and people that are still elitist and don't welcome and encourage new players (young/old/male/female) to the game

McLovin;n8884880 said:
if i'm limited to those choices, i guess i would say slow play although i don't think it's a big deal at the pro level.

Definitely not limited my friend.

-CRW-;n8884870 said:
I think people that play golf and/or watch professional golf will continue to do so regardless of any of the above listed items.

And people that don't play and/or watch could care less about what goes on in the golf world.

This is true. I suppose what I was thinking of is more around the complete lack of discipline to elite golfers. Thorbjorn is the only one that has had anything enforced against them by the governing bodies. In multiple other sports, there is a clear Code of Conduct which comes down hard on players who bring the game into disrepute, whereas Golf is lacking that completely and I think something needs to be done.

Tiger's cheating scandal was 10 years ago. I think the world has moved on.

A bigger issue for the game is people willing to take the time to play a game that is really hard and takes time to get better at. The will to toil is quickly going away. This goes for young and old. For everybody. This isn't a "damn millennials" sort of thing.

Back