How and How Often Do You Practice?

JMB3

Reaction score
I love golf. But I want to be better at it. I'm a competitive guy, especially with myself, so sucking at golf can be a real struggle for me. Thanks to THP, I've become even more passionate about golf. I sought out lessons for the first time last year, and with just four simple swing lessons, I was consistently shooting my best scores ever (88-93 range). Then I herniated a disc. Stubbornly, I kept trying to play, which only further screwed up my muscles and my swing. I ended last year and began this year struggling to break 120--suddenly, my passion made me miserable. I took lessons to fix my problems, but they only got worse (I had been coming OTT, and yet my coach was having me take my backswing even further inside...). I switched coaches, who helped me sort things out, and I've watched a lot of Eric Cogorno to get "feel" drills on some of the issues I've had. I'm back shooting in the 98-103 range and enjoying golf again. Now, though, it's time to take it up a notch. I realize skill level plays a significant role in one's handicap, but I want to reach my fullest potential--whatever that may be. So, I want to hear what it is you all do to improve? How do you practice, and how often do you do so? What have you discovered is the most effective use of your time?

I'll start. My practice generally consists of four components: (1) a swing lesson every 2-4 weeks; (2) some feel drills at home; (3) range time; and (4) practice greens.

I have mixed feelings on lessons because, through my brief experience (3 coaches), I realize how important it is to find the right coach for you. My first coach was amazing; he diagnosed swing issues quickly, gave me feel drills to work on, and understood my physical limitations (I lack flexibility in my shoulders). But I have also seen a ton of value of getting your swing on camera. I often do not realize what I'm doing until I see it, so I try to get in at least once a month.

When I was striking the ball especially well last year, I worked almost daily on drills to keep my lower body quiet and proper sequencing of the downswing. Now, I'll work on feel drills one day, and then 3 weeks will go by before I do any again. This is a place I can pick it up.

I hit the range now more than I have ever done in the past. I try to get in at least two range days a week. On the range, I'll hit between 100-200 balls, starting with my shortest club. I'll hit each club until I feel I've found a groove. When I get out of sync with any club, I put it down and put some easy swings on my GW. I've learned that the longer the club, the quicker I get at the top, yanking the club down with my hands--I've seen over and over on video the number of times I'll stand a driver straight up on the downswing. As I get towards the end of my bucket, I'll try and go through and end on a "good one" with each club.

I usually have designated times for just short game practice, working for a good hour or two. This is actually my favorite part of the game. But as I've tried to find my swing, I've slacked off big time in this area, and it is hurting my scoring big time. When I do practice, I'll bring three balls with me. I'll throw them all over, trying to give myself random lies. From there, I try to get each ball up-and-in. I'll play the first and putt it out before moving on to the second. The only time I'll dump a bunch of balls in the same area is in the sand--in part because I'm lazy, and in part because I need the reps. Then I'll to the actual putting green, and I'll start with 3 lag putts, trying to get them all in two strokes or less. I'll end by dropping each ball around the hole between 4-6 feet. Once I have made all 3 in a row, I'll move to the next hole until I've successfully completed them all.

How about you guys?

My practice basically consists of putting on my indoor practice green when it is dark or inclimate outside. Other than that, I will hit a few extra shots, chips or putts during a round when I am playing by myself. Just not a fan of hitting far inferior range balls and my course has an extremely small putting green (about 9 or 10 yards long by 3 or 4 yards wide) which makes short game practice pretty difficult.

Normally, hardly at all. Every week or two spend 30-40 minutes around the practice chipping green and maybe once a month get to the course a 20 minutes early to hit a few balls on the range with my alignment clubs down.

When my swing or short game totally deserts me, I will occasionally go for a couple lessons. After the lessons I'll try to practice at least a few minutes extra every weekend for a few weeks. To work on whatever changes we made.

Not a fan of practice other than putting. I will do clock drills on the putting green and try to do it once a week.

once a week I start off chipping and move up to my 7 iron. rarely putt except for a few strokes pre-round and rarely driver or woods

I swing a weighted club. I also practice hitting certain heights with my wedges. I rarely hit golf balls, I would like to get some of those foam golf balls. At this point, I really do not have trouble hitting the ball, I can make solid contact. I am fighting a swing path issues right now, but I will eventually get it.

I don't think I have the mental fortitude to sit on the range that long banging balls. I'll hit one bucket. Usually, I'll just use a 52 and a 7 iron. Maybe hit a couple drives. But, the lack of visual targets messes with my head. I'd rather be on the course trying different shots. Plus, I don't really have a lot of time. If I can sneak out I'd rather play.

In the winter, nearly daily. In season, I tend to play 3-5 rounds a week, so not a lot of practice beyond warm up sessions.

I have a lesson which is mostly practice every Saturday and driving range every Sunday unless I am playing twice in that week.

I used to hit the range a bunch as I re-worked an all arm swing into a better swing. Lately, I have been getting 1 9 per week and an 18 every other week at least so I have cut down my practice a bit. Now it consists of a range session each week where I hit off the grass and try and simulate a couple of holes. For instance might hit driver, 7 iron and PW all to targets, then 3w, 8i, then maybe driver, 5i GW.

Also try and putt and chip once or twice a week and do some swinging and chipping in net at home once or twice a week.

millsan1;n8885239 said:
In the winter, nearly daily. In season, I tend to play 3-5 rounds a week, so not a lot of practice beyond warm up sessions.

Your practice this past winter was inspiring. Glad you've been seeing great results this year too.

Orange Whip, daily.

When I go to the range (1-2x per week), I don't take the whole bag.

Outside of rolling some putts inside during the winter, I don't practice a whole lot. I'd rather just get out and play at this point.

Duffer Waldorf;n8885274 said:
Orange Whip, daily.

When I go to the range (1-2x per week), I don't take the whole bag.

I have an Orange Whip collecting dust. I should bust that out more often, especially because so many of my swing issues have been tempo related.

4-5 days a week, but almost always limited to putting and short game. the full swing part of the range is trash, and i have to drive too far to get to a decent range. but that might be changing soon as i work with an instructor.

I don't "practice" per se. The only type of practice I will do is chipping and putting whenever I have a spare 30-80 minutes. Ill go to the course and do that until I have to get to school for sports. Im not a big range guy. I get bored. Ill go through the bag once or twice and then just start messing around haha.

Bump it for the grinders--I know you're out there! How do you get your game in gear? What prep do you do before the Club championship or other competition?

4 to 5 hours per week at the Harding Park GC chipping green and putting green.

Sadly there's not much practice anymore. This is the first year I haven't really hit up the short game area to practice chipping regularly. I've got to the range maybe once a month and I'll go to a practice green once every other week. Otherwise if I get the chance to play it's going to be an actual round.

At least 3 times a week plus playing at least two full rounds. I am lucky I live about 5 minutes from the range and they have a fantastic chipping/pitching area with a huge putting green.

What is this thing you are calling practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Architex;n8887972 said:
What is this thing you are calling practice?

I am the Allen Iverson of golf. No practice for me. However, I do stretching and flexibility exercises and even a little yoga. But nothing involving a club or ball.

Not much more than warming up before playing. I hit a few wedges, a few mid irons & a few drivers then off to the tee.

I was hoping the OP would describe the time and technique for strengthening the area(s) he/she herniated a disc. I can't imagine hitting 200 balls at the range.
I stretch shoulders, chest, calves, quads, glut/piriformis, triceps. I go to range 4-5X a week, hit 75-100 balls, often only irons or wedge shots. Then I try to spend 1 -2 hours on short game, whatever needs work, within 50 yds. I'm lucky I enjoy practicing.

aknow;n8888033 said:
I was hoping the OP would describe the time and technique for strengthening the area(s) he/she herniated a disc. I can't imagine hitting 200 balls at the range.
I stretch shoulders, chest, calves, quads, glut/piriformis, triceps. I go to range 4-5X a week, hit 75-100 balls, often only irons or wedge shots. Then I try to spend 1 -2 hours on short game, whatever needs work, within 50 yds. I'm lucky I enjoy practicing.

Lots (and LOTS) of planks, yoga, and PT! Haha

Back