How Many Holes If We Reinvented Golf?

DataDude

Snakebite X Fan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
If we started from scratch and reinvented the game of golf how many holes would you make the typical course? What mix of pars?

16 sounds like a good number and a way to shave off an 30-45 or off the typical round at a public, but then again the "front/back 8" doesn't have a great ring to it

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The long time complaint about golf is how long it takes to play/how many hours you must invest. For that reason i think if golf was re-invented courses would be no more than 12 holes. A front 6 and back 6? One par 3 and one par 5 per side, the rest par 4's for a Par 48 course. Most would play in 2.5 hrs, while good/fast players would play in 2 hrs.

I like 12, break it up in 4 rounds of 3 holes. Most can play 12 holes in about just a little over 2 hrs.

Playing less holes doesnt change any pace problem. Its still the same and anyone can leave whenever they wish anyway.

10 would be a nice round of golf

I actually think there could be a trend to 9 hole golf courses. The footprint needed for the land is much less and you can finish a round of 9 in less than 2 hours.

I don't have a good answer to this, but there is a course down the road from work that got sold to put in a new subdivision and supposedly the homeowners association is now going to re-open the course as a 12-Hole course. I'm not sure if there is a reasoning behind it, other than that they wanted most of the land for the new homes - but also wanted to keep the course open somewhat.

15, with an equal number of par 3s, 4s, and 5s.

Twelve is a good number. Then with some creative re-routing, current 18 hole courses could have a 12 and a 6 for full and half rounds.

Just leave it at 9 holles

I think 18 is still good but a change of course construction would be wonderful. Besides turning at 9, there could be 6 "turns" of 3 holes. Imagine having the ability to go hit a quick round at lunch where you are back at the clubhouse after every three holes.

3 6-hole sides. each having 2 par 3s, 2 par 4s, and 2 par 5s. give people more opportunity to bounce if they don't have time for a full 18. also more opportunities to send people off different sides and maybe speed up pace a bit.

rollin;n8885180 said:
Playing less holes doesnt change any pace problem. Its still the same and anyone can leave whenever they wish anyway.

I disagree under the current cost structure. If you could pay by the hole that would be more true, but paying for 18 and just leaving after 12 only serves to make slow play even more intolerable.

Back