Have you introduced someone new to the game?

Duffer Waldorf

[this space available]
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
10.7 GHIN
How did it go?

I purchased a starter set for my wife last month, unbeknownst to her. To my surprise, she did not immediately throw the clubs in the garbage. She has even shown some interest in the sport. We have gone to the range with the kids a few times, but she is very self-conscious about it. She worries too much that someone may watch her swing a club.

I know enough swing fundamentals to help get her started, but I do not know how to approach the worries that someone may watch as she tries to hit a ball.

My son and a customer/friend back in the nineties that was trying to escape substance abuse problems. It helped him keep his mind on something else.

I tried to teach my step-son the game but wasn't successful. He has showed interest again though so hopeful.

I introduced a friends wife to the game. She really wanted to learn to golf and her husband was just learning - so I took them both out and now they're basically regular playing partners. The best part is that she is now better than my buddy. She hits it long and straight! I've even helped her with club purchases and recommendations on golf equipment in general. It's been sort of fun watching someone really get addicted to the game like I have.

i guess my oldest son would qualify. it's gone pretty well. he's pretty much down to play a round with me whenever i ask.

Yes, and it's been a blast! I have a female coworker who wanted to learn the game primarily for networking purposes. I helped her pick out a set of clubs, and ever since she purchased them, we have played a par 3 course every other weekend. She's picked up the game quickly. Her first round she had two GIRs, which led to two pars. Its fun to see her excitement, and it has been remarkable to me how quickly she can implement a tip and get improved results. I think she's caught the bug. And each round is fun for me too, as I can work on my wedges/short game. Last weekend, I brought just a GW with me, which was a fun challenge.

Duffer Waldorf;n8885250 said:
How did it go?

I purchased a starter set for my wife last month, unbeknownst to her. To my surprise, she did not immediately throw the clubs in the garbage. She has even shown some interest in the sport. We have gone to the range with the kids a few times, but she is very self-conscious about it. She worries too much that someone may watch her swing a club.

I know enough swing fundamentals to help get her started, but I do not know how to approach the worries that someone may watch as she tries to hit a ball.

I introduced my wife to the game, giving her a set of clubs and purchasing her some lessons. Two years later, we are divorced. Coincidence? You tell me... Ha ha (although the divorce has been no laughing matter).

Coached up a co-worker who's never swung a club before in our company outing. He was swinging the club pretty consistently by the time we hit #18. Couple of decent pokes here and there.

I got my Cousin playing. We play together pretty much every round. Helped him out with some small things.

I get excited more for his scores now then I do mine. Kinda doing the same with his Son now.

LoffKat and my mom, who is 67.

I really wish I could say that I did. I tried with both my kids Just didn't take. I had a coworker who had paid sparingly in the past playing1-2 9's a week for a while.

Just about every one of my ex girlfriends........Least I still have golf.

The few times that I did introduce someone didn't really go well. Sometime they want to do it their way and their way is wrong. I am not a great golfer, but after 20 years, I do know which hand goes above the other on a club.

I did in community therapy with usually 10-17 y/o boys, so occasionally I would take them to the driving range to learn about patience coping skills focus mindfulness etc . I do wonder if any of them picked up the sport a little bit more, but from what I saw there wasn't much hope haha

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just my kids. The verdict's still out on how it's going. They seem to generally enjoy it, but I'm not sure they're hooked yet.

My oldest son is super interesting in taking up the game and asked me to pull a set together for him, which I'm working on now. He has a few odd clubs to get started with, but what I'm trying to get him to focus on is just a partial swings with a 9i.... from hip to hip, focus on weight shift, squaring the club, hand position etc. In addition, he likes to research things which he's doing on his own with a specific focus on swing fundamentals.

Taught my granddaughter golf...gave her a set of my men’s clubs that I wasn’t using. She tried out for her ladies high school golf team, played great for 2 years and Sacramento City College coach had seen her play in high school & recruited her to play on his ladies college team. Her golf game was great and her putting was tremendous & during her first year, their college team won a conference title. After college, she opted to work & still plays occasionally. Loved teaching her putting.

I've never been the one to first introduce someone to the game but I have encouraged a few after seeing their initial spark mostly during my late teens and early 20s. Its an amazing thing to see when someone catches the "bug" and are 100% in and they are calling you to play every day no matter the weather. It reminds me of when I started and it breaths new life into the game.

Its been a while since I've been a part of this and I hope to experience it at least one more time.

I introduced the game to my son and gf. Both fell in love with the game and want to continue to learn more about the game

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last year, I asked my wife to consider trying golf as a way to get aerobic exercise and better flexibility, without a gym. She took a clinic with a local pro and started enjoying it. We also have a prepaid card at a indoor range to practice over the winter, that she also enjoys.

This year, we’ve played a few times at a local 9-hole executive course, that we can walk. She’s seeing improvement - and enjoying it. She’s also seeing more range of motion and flexibility in her arms, shoulders and back (after major back surgery in 2015).

Hopefully I’ll get over my health issues before the snow flies, so we can get out some more this year.

Never.

I didn't know anyone who played golf for the first 30-something years of my life. It's now going on three decades since I took up the game myself and I've never meet anyone who wanted to take up the game but had never tried it.

Many. But, that is part of th recruiting aspect of coaching.

Some have worked out amazingly, I have two seniors who started as Freshmen that will be low 80's golfers for me this year, which I find very impressive.

Others have not worked out, funny how the baseballers think hitting the ball that doesn't move will be SO much easier...

I just took my son out today for the first time.

He had fun, so I'm hopeful.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Back