Letting people play through. Where do you draw the line?

mtbloco

Grandaddy X!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Where do you draw the line, when deciding to let a group/single play through? Let's make the assumption that your group maybe be a bunch of hackers, but are on pace for a 4 hour round. The course is open in front of you and for at least the first few holes there is no one behind you. When a group catches you, you let them go. What about the next group or the one after that? Would you always let them through provided each prior group pulls away? Or does there come a point, where you know your group is slower than the pressing group, but not exceptionally slow. Still on that pace per hole for a 4 hour round, but all the letting groups through turns your round into 5 hours.

Where do you draw that line? Play through or I've let some through, but we're moving at a fair pace so we're just focusing on our game.

Brian

ALWAYS let the faster through if it's open in front of you. but if it's not open and you're waiting, obviously they shall not pass.

the only time i'll reconsider is if a bunch of singles or twosomes are constantly coming up on our group. at some point that's the fault of the course for not pairing people up. but if it's not hindering our preferred pace, let 'em through.

If the group I'm in is a full hole or more behind AND if I'm convinced the person(s) needing to play through can do so in a timely manner, I'm all for letting them through.

Although my first attempt is always to get the group I'm in to catch up rather than need to let anyone through.

McLovin;n8885357 said:
ALWAYS let the faster through if it's open in front of you. but if it's not open and you're waiting, obviously they shall not pass.

the only time i'll reconsider is if a bunch of singles or twosomes are constantly coming up on our group. at some point that's the fault of the course for not pairing people up. but if it's not hindering our preferred pace, let 'em through.

A string of singles really is the crux of this question.

McLovin;n8885357 said:

This every time If groups are constantly coming up behind you and losing you once e they play through, then you either have to severely pick up the pace or continue to let groups through

If there is open space and a group catches up/is waiting on my group then we let them play through. If we have multiple singles/doubles play through (which I personally have never had) that is when I call the course and tell them to hire a new starter.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885365 said:
If the group I'm in is a full hole or more behind AND if I'm convinced the person(s) needing to play through can do so in a timely manner, I'm all for letting them through.

Although my first attempt is always to get the group I'm in to catch up rather than need to let anyone through.

what if the course is WIDE open in front of you? This can happen in the PHX summer afternoons. Course is relatively open because it's stupid hot.

What does it take for you to be convinced that the person(s) you're letting through can do so in a timely manner?

Singles can go easily enough, we usually let them tee off with us and then they can finish the hole once we get to the first ball. That way we are off the box and down the fairway. If a 4 some happens to catch us, they can go it they are really pushing us and open hole in front of us which is rare for our regular group. (Except for one guy, we have to push him a bit)

If you aren’t keeping up with the group in front of you you aren’t on pace, even if you are looking at a 4 hour round.

If my group is not keeping up and a group is pushing me I let them play through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

McLovin;n8885357 said:

This ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ This happens way more often than not.

McLovin;n8885357 said:

Why would a course hold twosomes or singles to pair up when they can take their money and send them out right away?

OGputtnfool;n8885413 said:
Why would a course hold twosomes or singles to pair up when they can take their money and send them out right away?

if they're coming up on our group in rapid succession, and assuming our group is on pace, it stands to reason that the groups were tightly bunched off the first tee, and the pro shop and/or starter should have paired them up.

mtbloco;n8885381 said:
What does it take for you to be convinced that the person(s) you're letting through can do so in a timely manner?

Well if it's a single or twosome, I'd figure they will get through pretty quickly.

If it's four guys and the play-through hole is a Par 3 over a pond...well, let's just say I might wait until we get to a wide-open hole to call them up.

McLovin;n8885425 said:
if they're coming up on our group in rapid succession, and assuming our group is on pace, it stands to reason that the groups were tightly bunched off the first tee, and the pro shop and/or starter should have paired them up.

Maybe, but maybe they just showed up like 10 minutes apart from each other.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885467 said:
Well if it's a single or twosome, I'd figure they will get through pretty quickly.

If it's four guys and the play-through hole is a Par 3 over a pond...well, let's just say I might wait until we get to a wide-open hole to call them up.

In my experience, a par 3 is almost always the best place to play through. I feel this way when allowing groups to play through as well as when I'm playing through another group.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885467 said:

This seems counter intuitive. I get where you're going with the challenging hole concept, but if 4 guys you're worried about hacking their way through a tough par 3 are catching your group, and in a way that seems like you should let them play through, I think it pretty much invalidates the whole 'don't want to wait on these particular guys on this particular hole' idea. No?

The string of singles would seem to be a problem scenario, but in playing through other groups, a string of singles shouldn't stay a string for too long I'd think. Unless they're just allergic to playing with other singles and want to hold everyone up or something.

I just dread the combination of bad golfers, playing through and forced carries over water. I think it's better them and me if they wait until a hole where a duffed shot doesn't lead to a lost ball and a concomitant delay.

Et Tu Brute?;n8885531 said:
I just dread the combination of bad golfers, playing through and forced carries over water. I think it's better them and me if they wait until a hole where a duffed shot doesn't lead to a lost ball and a concomitant delay.

especially if someone in the group chooses to play a second from the tee instead of the drop area.

Back