Does playing with someone better/worse than you affect your game?

LLIB

Unfittable
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Taking pace of play out of the equation do you have any apprehension playing with a high handicap player? Also do any of you high handicap players feel the nerves playing with better players?

As a high handicap player myself I always wonder if my playing partners who are better than I am ever feel bogged down by my game or annoyed by my bad play. I feel I play pretty quick. I try to play ready golf and I have a good idea of when to pick up. I’’ve played with several forum members and have never had anyone say anything to me about my pace of play.

On the flipside I used to get extremely intimidated and self-conscious playing with better players. Since playing in an event and playing another round with other forum members that has pretty much gone away. I’’m just curious if my high hc brethren feel the pressure when you’’re the worst player in the group?

I'm too erratic for it to affect my game and nervous just teeing it up when the course is surrounded by houses. So from my perspective playing with a better player helps my game long term, because I'll probably learn something from them. But playing with other "bad" golfers won't have a detectible impact on my game.

I’ve never played with someone better than me that intimidated me (by how good they were). I marvel at their ability, but it doesn’t bother or affect me. Now, I can’t speak for them, and whether my ability affects their game or not. ;)

Being a high capper, I would certainly feel apprehension playing with a much better golfer. I am typically a solo player, but if I were to get paired up with someone much better than my skills, I would rather they just play on ahead of me so I don't slow their round down.

If I was golfing with a friend that is much better, I wouldn't feel that way.

vdubtx;n8885921 said:
Being a high capper, I would certainly feel apprehension playing with a much better golfer. I am typically a solo player, but if I were to get paired up with someone much better than my skills, I would rather they just play on ahead of me so I don't slow their round down.

If I was golfing with a friend that is much better, I wouldn't feel that way.

That’s how I felt before I was lucky enough to get selected for the Hogan event. Every one of those guys was much better than I am but none of them made it seem that way. They were all encouraging and helped me keep my head straight throughout the rounds

Playing with higher skill level players is a tremendous help to improving one's game. One of the best things any player who aspires to get better can do.

I don’t care and normally won’t even notice what irons others are using. I’m way to wrapped up in my own game to care what others are shooting As long as they keep up.

tahoebum;n8885930 said:
I don’t care and normally won’t even notice what irons others are using. I’m way to wrapped up in my own game to care what others are shooting As long as they keep up.

That’s why I took pace of play out. I know that is the biggest knock on higher handicap players. And I really don’t want this to turn into a pace of play thread

LLIB;n8885925 said:
That’s how I felt before I was lucky enough to get selected for the Hogan event. Every one of those guys was much better than I am but none of them made it seem that way. They were all encouraging and helped me keep my head straight throughout the rounds

Awesome to hear that. I think I will get there soon as well. I am bound and determined to get better and hit straighter more often so I don't feel that way.

The guys I have played with recently were more like my skill level. One twosome I ended up playing a round with have become regular playing partners now.

I have no issues playing with players that have higher handicaps than mine. It doesn't affect me unless pace of play becomes an issue and that has rarely been the case. Looking for lost balls on a desert course nearly every hole does slow things down and affects me, so when I have to do it for others, it is a big mess ;)

I will play with anyone, but enjoy playing with better players. I think the body tends to subconciously respond to what you see around you and a foursome playing good golf presents a lot of positive imagery to each other. The flip side is if you are scratch and everyone around you is playing erratically, perhaps your mental focus tends to wander a bit more.

I personally don't have any problems golfing with anyone. There have been a few rare occasions I have met a few people that have made the round not as enjoyable, but it had nothing to do with level of skill (just personality). With low handicap players, I enjoy watching how they go about navigating the course. I particularly pay attention to how they respond to an adverse outcome of a shot and what they do to recover. I tend to be a little more focused when I do play with a low handicap player. High handicap players ( I know quite a few), I tend to be relaxed, enjoy the camaraderie and focus on what I am trying to do during the round.

I tend to play worse if playing with a really slow player.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I certainly think it can. I tend to play a little better when playing with golfer that are better than me. It just is what it is

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

no bother here either way except for the person it is. Its the players personality that dictates whether or not I feel anything about being on different levels.

It doesn't really matter to me. I've played well and poorly with people both better and worse than me. I've had some bad rounds by being stupid and trying to keep up if I'm playing with big hitters, but I've really tried to stop worrying about that.

It doesn't bother me either way. As long as they are good peoples!

Playing with better/worse players doesn’t affect my game in the least.
Its always me against the course and trying to have a good time.

Not usually. If I really have to caretake it can take away from my game a bit, but I think that's natural. When your focus is mostly on someone else it's hard for it to be on your game. Under most circumstances it's fine. Fun even, and playing with better players usually benefits the high handicapper. A bad attitude bothers me far more. You can be a 2 handicap or a 25 and that's fine, but if either one spends the whole round bemoaning their poor play you will wear on my considerable patience.

​I feel like I can play with people at my level, above my level or below. ​​​​​​It doesn't bother me, but I'm not very competitive. I could shoot a 100 and you a 58 and I'm going to be the same as if it were flipped. I feel like I'm only competing with myself. Either I was better last time, or better this time.

LLIB;n8885911 said:
Taking pace of play out of the equation do you have any apprehension playing with a high handicap player? Also do any of you high handicap players feel the nerves playing with better players?

As a high handicap player myself I always wonder if my playing partners who are better than I am ever feel bogged down by my game or annoyed by my bad play. I feel I play pretty quick. I try to play ready golf and I have a good idea of when to pick up. I’’ve played with several forum members and have never had anyone say anything to me about my pace of play.

On the flipside I used to get extremely intimidated and self-conscious playing with better players. Since playing in an event and playing another round with other forum members that has pretty much gone away. I’’m just curious if my high hc brethren feel the pressure when you’’re the worst player in the group?

I play better when I play with someone who is better than I am. I don't know why, I just do.

definitely not. but i have been intimidated by people who are a lot longer than i am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have played with plus handicaps and I play with beginners with the maximum 54 handicap and it doesn't bother me in the slightest or have any effect on my game

I know my ability and I don't let what anyone else does influence my game

I guess at times it works both ways. Depends on the setting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't mind playing with golfers worse than me, but it's rare! Actually makes me get over bad shots easier, because the guy probably knows what it feels like too!!

I enjoy playing with really good golfers as well to see how they play certain holes and shots and I will find myself playing better too. Hopefully they don't mind playing with me as I will have a hole here or there that seems to take forever but I try to recognize if I am holding them back and pick up the pace.

Back