Does playing with someone better/worse than you affect your game?

I enjoy playing with all people as long as we play ready golf and he or she doesn't try to tell me how to play/instruct me. Better players, I will tend to focus and play a bit better as most of whom I run into the conversation is pretty light/non obtrusive where as the players who are not as skilled tend to bs around more often and im fine with that haha, but I will typically not focus as much and play worse.

It's rare that playing with golfers at either end of the spectrum would affect my game. I really enjoy playing with scratch or better golfers as there is just so much to learn if you pay attention. I recently had an incredible day sharing a round with someone swinging a club for the 1st time in her life.

tahoebum;n8885930 said:
I don’t care and normally won’t even notice what irons others are using. I’m way to wrapped up in my own game to care what others are shooting As long as they keep up.

I agree with this, except I enjoy seeing somebody I am playing with succeed. I love to celebrate others’ great shots or good rounds. It is all relative. There is a huge difference between my game and a scratch or plus index player’s game, just as I may seem to be pretty good to an 18 index. Golf is one of the few pursuits where differing skill levels can play together and still enjoy it, one of the reasons I love the game.

Doesn’t bother me at all. Play ready golf and don’t be throwing clubs.

Doesn't bother me in the least to play with someone scoring higher than I am. I just found my scorecard last night from the first time I broke 90 (in 2002). The guy I was playing with shot an 84... ON THE FRONT. I didn't have a score for him on 18, but he had 77 from 10-17. Unreal. I knew it was up there, but wow...

As for better players, I love playing with better players. It definitely drives me to play better.

Back