Who thinks they’re better than they really are? You or your playing partner?

Jrt13

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
It’s easy to get caught up in hitting the infrequent magnificent shot and then believing it can and should be replicated til the end of time... who thinks they are as good as their best shot? Who needs a reality check?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used to but finally came to the realization that it’s a lot less stressful and more fun to embrace the suckage

I know my game and am quite comfortable knowing how to manage it to the best of my ability. I'm a double digit handicap, know that I don't have the time to practice/play enough to bring it down significantly so I work with what I have and enjoy my time out on the course. My regular playing partners are all about the same caliber, so we enjoy the company and the occasional well struck shot!

Definitely my regular playing partner. He's always surprised when I outdrive him, even though it happens 9 times out of 10. And he's always shocked when he misses with an approach shot or a putt over 8 feet, even though that happens often as well. We're both mid to high 90s golfers (on average he's slightly better), but I'm usually more accepting of it, while he gets mad at himself all the time. In his mind, he's a low 80s golfer having a bad day. Every day.

LLIB;n8885998 said:
I used to but finally came to the realization that it’s a lot less stressful and more fun to embrace the suckage

Haha... fully understand. That turns in to beer golf for me frequently.

jbuck31;n8886011 said:
I know my game and am quite comfortable knowing how to manage it to the best of my ability. I'm a double digit handicap, know that I don't have the time to practice/play enough to bring it down significantly so I work with what I have and enjoy my time out on the course. My regular playing partners are all about the same caliber, so we enjoy the company and the occasional well struck shot!

I appreciate your attitude! Sounds like you have a down to earth group to play with.

Right now I think I'm probably better than what a lot of my scores are. It's been a really weird year with my game but my scores haven't shown what I'm capable of.

gonyr;n8886018 said:
Definitely my regular playing partner. He's always surprised when I outdrive him, even though it happens 9 times out of 10. And he's always shocked when he misses with an approach shot or a putt over 8 feet, even though that happens often as well. We're both mid to high 90s golfers (on average he's slightly better), but I'm usually more accepting of it, while he gets mad at himself all the time. In his mind, he's a low 80s golfer having a bad day. Every day.

That can be quite a challenge to play under a negative cloud. Your friend is fortunate you continue to play with him.... that’s true friendship!

KEV;n8886050 said:
Right now I think I'm probably better than what a lot of my scores are. It's been a really weird year with my game but my scores haven't shown what I'm capable of.

I can relate to a degree. I’ve taken up golf again in the last 3 years after about a 10 year hiatus and man it’s been a struggle. I’m not playing to the handicap I was used to, and I really don’t know if I’m good enough anymore to play to that level again.

I do not have a regular playing partner....so, I guess it's me!

J.B. Cobb III;n8886270 said:

I’ll play with you anytime time bud and take the pressure off of you

Nope I suck, but that will not keep me from trying.

J.B. Cobb III;n8886270 said:

I have people I play with occasionally, but no one in the reg. Most of them are even keel though. I do have a friend that talks about shooting mid 70's but slices every shot, always two putts and never takes a recorded drop when he hits ob. somehow he says his handicap is a 7, but trashes every scorecard where he has a blowup round.

Jrt13;n8886064 said:
That can be quite a challenge to play under a negative cloud. Your friend is fortunate you continue to play with him.... that’s true friendship!

He's one of my best friends off the course and we've been playing together forever. Our kids are the same age and grew up together. But I will admit, sometimes me and a couple other guys egg him on to see if we can get him to snap a club. No luck on that front yet.

Jrt13;n8886064 said:

Agreed.

FreddieMac;n8886428 said:
Nope I suck, but that will not keep me from trying.

Many of us are in that boat with ya!

Qwkz51;n8886467 said:
I have people I play with occasionally, but no one in the reg. Most of them are even keel though. I do have a friend that talks about shooting mid 70's but slices every shot, always two putts and never takes a recorded drop when he hits ob. somehow he says his handicap is a 7, but trashes every scorecard where he has a blowup round.

Hopefully you won’t be teamed up with him in a handicapped event...

gonyr;n8886479 said:
He's one of my best friends off the course and we've been playing together forever. Our kids are the same age and grew up together. But I will admit, sometimes me and a couple other guys egg him on to see if we can get him to snap a club. No luck on that front yet.

I get it... We all have our faults. Any chance you let him borrow a club from time to time?

Canadan;n8886503 said:
You can't hide behind your score, and it takes 18 holes to figure out that number.

Ego in golf has a VERY short shelf life haha

Haha...But who’s keeping count?

I play about three times a week and most of the guys I play with play even more often than I do. It would be really hard for us to have an unrealistically dreamy view of our own games. That's just too many rounds, too many scores in the computer to have any illusions.

Ever heard "The Golfer's Prayer"? Please lord, just this once let me play my usual game.

Jrt13;n8886546 said:
I get it... We all have our faults. Any chance you let him borrow a club from time to time?

No, he's way taller than me.

Actually my normal playing partner thinks that I am better than I am. I have come to expect that about a third of the holes during a round I am going to hit one of more far less than desireable shot that will likely result in a bogey. If I could avoid it I certainly would but it is just a case of being a decent amateur golfer.

Usually my playing partners. I'm one who probably should have more confidence in my game than I do.

I have a friend that believes he's a bogey golfer, but after a foot wedge or two here, a gimme or ten there, and some bad math he should end up with more like a 105-110. But we never play for money, so I don't really care.

My son is the opposite and thinks he's not as good as he really is. He gets upset when he misses a fairway or green, or when he misses a mid-range birdie putt. My wife thinks he does it to a fault, but I think it's part of his drive to continue to get better. I don't want to suppress those emotions so much that he doesn't care. My solution was to show him the tour averages, proximity to the hole from different distances, etc. to see where he needs the most work or where he's doing fine.

Back