Classify yourself: Are you a recreational player or competitive player

Campbell Toe

AKA Campbell Toe
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
The more I play, the more I concentrate on competitive rounds. I have really began to enjoy the club tourneys and getting involved in NCGA events in Northern California, What about you?

As much as I enjoy doing the occasional FSGA tournament, they're really never super convenient time wise, and the really really good ones book up quickly. They have their own level of fun, but there's nothin quite as fun as playing with your buddies where you know if you hit a good shot, they're gonna give you a bit of praise and some grief. Or, the bad shot, and you know there's gonna be some light hearted chirping.

recreational for sure. competition doesn’t do much for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Both. Play about 3 to 1 recreational but really enjoy both.

I am definitely recreational, though I would love to be able to do competitive golf if I could play more.

I am recreational only at this time but as I improve I would not mind some competitive rounds.

Definitely recreational although I play all my rounds in golf societies and every round has a little money in the pot, prizes given and handicaps maintained.

If I had more time I would love to play more competitively locally, but I'm ok playing with friends for a few bucks or looping 18 with my daughter, so I'm more recreational than competitive at the moment.

I enjoy competing I just suck at it so let’s go with recreational.....

Recreational mostly. I try to play in all our club comps and if there are some tournaments nearby but don't want to make the time commitment to play a real "schedule" at e.g. GC Amtour or the likes.

Curious about trying a competition around here but 100% fine with staying recreational.

Purely recreational. I tried playing a competitive tournament earlier this summer and didnt really enjoy it all that much.

I’ve played in a couple of 2 man tournaments this year, and very much enjoyed it, but other than that, I’m playing recreationally. I haven’t played an individual tournament in at least 10 years.

I play some tournaments at my home course but these days I'm more recreational. I don't enjoy the tournaments as much as I used to, probably because I don't have much time to practice leading up to them.

I am a mixture of both recreational and competitive - play for fun with friends but I also play competitions at my club and I play for one of the league teams

I am slowly starting to get into competitive play. This year I started playing in the local amateur series for our USGA association. Next year, I plan on signing up for the golf channel amateur series and another local amateur series. I really do enjoy the competition. Now I just need to start scoring better in them.

Competitive meaning tournaments? No, not at all.

But in my "recreational" rounds I prefer to be competing for some sort of small stakes. Without some sort of competition, it's just on-course practice.

Hands down recreational for me.

I am a recreational golfer who is competitive with himself. I do not like tourneys because the few I have played in people think they are on the PGA tour putting for a million dollars. I am standing there like OMG, you are putting for triple bogey, putt it already. I stay away from those events now.

I am not a very competitive person, but I am very goal driven. I enjoy personal accomplishments more than beating other people. I have set goals like getting a PHD or hiking a certain trail that is hard for me. I set a goal to rebuild my house within 6 months after the flood with me doing the work. I did that in 2 months. Now, my new goal is to play golf on the old course Scotland with an official USGA 5 handicap by time I am 60. I may not get there, but it is a way I can enjoy playing and not have to worry about others.

Recreational 80% of the time. I get to compete in about a dozen tournament rounds each year but they aren't high level competitions by any measure.

FreddieMac;n8886822 said:
I do not like tourneys because the few I have played in people think they are on the PGA tour putting for a million dollars. I am standing there like OMG, you are putting for triple bogey, putt it already. I stay away from those events now.

I started to say something about this upthread. I know some people enjoy playing "real tournaments" aka stroke play, medal play, card and pencil, whatever you want to call it over 36 or 54 holes.

But when it's guys who may not break 100 and almost certainly won't break 90 when playing the ball down and putting it out under tournament pressure, I just can't see the appeal. That's a format ideal for separating out a large field of closely matched good players. But it's just some sort of masochism for a 20-handicapper who is obliged to keep grinding it out even if it's his third putt from four feet to score 10 instead of 11 on a hole.

Guess it's just one of those things I wonder about. Different strokes for different folks and so forth...

Although I don't play in any tournaments I certainly take golf serious every time I step on the course so I would say I'm a "competitive" golfer.

Back