On course practice or range rat?

Qwkz51

El Conquistador
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Confession: I rarely go to the range..I know that wouldn't actually surprise anyone that has seen my game in real life. I just never hit the ball as well, our practice balls are junk, the range tee box is always chewed up, etc. So I'll usually hit the putting green, but rarely hit the range. I usually play a round or two per week by myself and use that as practice. So which are you?: Range Rat or On Course Practicer?

I used to be a range rat. What stopped it was all the ranges here use mats, no grass. I really started feeling it in my hands and elbows. And I never really got better going to the range 3-5x a week so I just quit going. If I want to get some swings in I’ll go hit a few balls into the woods in the backyard

I prefer to just play but I know the benefits of being on the range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I spend a little time on the range but I prefer to practice on the course.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Both have their place, and as the OP says the practice facilities available do factor into the equation. We have excellent practice facilities where I live. The muni has a double-deck range with markers, flags, pitching targets, and even a pickup truck with targets on it. It also has THREE practice greens. Two for chipping and pitching, one with multiple bunkers, and a large putting green. That's just the muni. There are plenty of other courses that offer other amenities like natural grass ranges, bays where you can practice shots from the fairway, light rough or deep rough or jump on a launch monitor.

So you probably already figured out I'm a range rat.

I do not like the driving range but it is necessary to keep me sharp. During the hot months I will go to the range every week but I would rather play a round when it cools off.

I prefer to play, if I'm struggling with something I try to get on the course to work it out.
I am fortunate though, that I have a nice practice facility less than 10 minutes from my house and several courses that have grass ranges. So in the event that I really need to work through a "kink" in my swing I will utilize one of those facilities. I do not like hitting off of mats.

I wouldn’t call myself a range rat but if I have a hour to play/practice, I’ll benefit much more by going to the range and hitting 40 balls and then heading to the chipping/putting area rather than playing 3 holes.

i would be a range rat if i had a better practice facility near me. i love practicing. but these days, i just get my reps in on the course. hard to improve that way, but it is what it is.

Winter I am a range rat, range being my sim.

Summer I play a lot, so not much range time beyond warming up before rounds, unless I am working on something specific.

I do not like to go to the range at all and pound balls. I'd rather just go to the course and work on things.

Back