How much do you talk to your match play opponent?

Vortex

Reaction score
Match play is my favorite game. Our group plays it all the time and I also entered several singles and doubles tournaments this summer. I subbed on a league team last night and it got me thinking about how people approach their opponent. I'm typically a chatty guy and genuinely enjoy meeting people. I'm also competitive but would rather have a good time and lose than win at any cost. Anyway, last night's opponent got me thinking about a player's mindset. He was very reserved on the first tee box, especially for a younger guy on a team of buddies. I conceded a generous putt on the first green to halve the hole in hopes of loosen him up. It's a 9 hole league and we didn't start chatting until the seventh hole after he was doomie. I won 2&1. It seemed like he was more comfortable talking once the "opponent" mindset waned. Just a guess.

I'm curious how other people approach their opponent. Do you chat it up or do you keep to yourself? This applies to league, tournament and friendly matches. As a reference, two of the guys in my group don't say much to one another when they're playing a match...it works for them.

Chat it up for sure. It's just another game of golf, competition or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

exactly like kevin. life’s too short to violate harry arnett’s first rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Sharing the experience is part of the deal. IMO those who keep to themselves are missing some of the joys of the game.

If we can’t hold a conversation between holes or shots then there won’t be a second round together. I don’t get paid to play so when would I tee it up in a situation that doesn’t bring me enjoyment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kevin81002;n8886459 said:
Chat it up for sure. It's just another game of golf, competition or not.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This explains why we had a great round in Tahoe. We chatted about irons, club selection, shot goals, and putts. Pretty sure that would be the same if we played together or against one another.

I'm doing the state combo tournament next month. It's a team game and this will be the ninth or tenth event with my partner. He's a solid player but on the quiet side. No problem...I spent more time with the other two guys when we played last year. We finished second in the first flight so it's just a matter of figuring out what works. Sure hope we don't get paired with a quiet group this year or I'm screwed. :D

Last edited:
McLovin;n8886462 said:
exactly like kevin. life’s too short to violate harry arnett’s first rule.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The guy I mentioned wasn't a Richard. I think he's just on the quiet side (maybe nervous?). It also might be easier for him to compete if he didn't know me. Our teams had a beer together after the match and everyone was joking and laughing. That's why I'm curious if other people are quiet. As a general rule, THPers are pretty outgoing so there might not be many "quiet" players here.

Alez367;n8886469 said:
If we can’t hold a conversation between holes or shots then there won’t be a second round together. I don’t get paid to play so when would I tee it up in a situation that doesn’t bring me enjoyment.

How about if you're playing a unknown guy in a tournament or league match? You may never see him again. Are you still chatting it up?

Vortex;n8886510 said:
How about if you're playing a unknown guy in a tournament or league match? You may never see him again. Are you still chatting it up?

Of course.

Alez367;n8886516 said:
Of course.

Ditto!

Back