What course did you come to love?

mrkich

Reaction score
Handicap
Sometimes it’s love at first sight (rustic canyon for me), and sometimes it takes a while (Alhambra for me). first time I played there I thought it was boring and short and a waste of my time. Next couple times realized it needed a lot of strategy and really asked me to hit a lot of different shots.

What courses have you grown to love over time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe it was just too difficult when I first started, or didn't really appreciate the nuance of framing holes off the tee, but the courses at Palmas del Mar were not my favorite when I started. Can't wait to play them now. The Flamboyan course in particular, designed by Rees Jones, is one I hope to play again this year.

Copperhead at Innisbrook is totally this for me. I think I shot a 98 first time but I broke 80 the most recent time I played it. It’s one I’ve really appreciated the more I’ve played it. Even though I’ve only been there maybe 5 rounds? I like it a lot now

Only played it once but loved it was Tobacco Road is NC. Freaking amazing course with insane local rule of no OB and you can drive thru certain bunkers with crazy fast greens. Great round with LB44 that IÂ’ll never forget.

Unfortunately I have only played all my TOP favorite courses one time so it's tough to come to love it .... sooooo in that case I would say that Coeur d’Alene is one my wife and I came to love as we go back every year to play it a few times. Best collection of Par 3's I have come across. Not my all-time favorite course but it's one that I have come to love. I'd say it's in the top 10 of my favorite rounds.

Alez367;n8887595 said:
Only played it once but loved it was Tobacco Road is NC. Freaking amazing course with insane local rule of no OB and you can drive thru certain bunkers with crazy fast greens. Great round with LB44 that I’ll never forget.

One regret living in Charlotte last summer was not making it out to play TR

SlightDraw;n8887620 said:
Unfortunately I have only played all my TOP favorite courses one time so it's tough to come to love it .... sooooo in that case I would say that Coeur d’Alene is one my wife and I came to love as we go back every year to play it a few times. Best collection of Par 3's I have come across. Not my all-time favorite course but it's one that I have come to love. I'd say it's in the top 10 of my favorite rounds.

The floating par 3 gets all the love so I’ve never even heard of the other par 3’s. Will have to check them out

Sadly Firestone North. The sadly part is I probably won’t have the chance to play it again, just gaze lovingly at it occasionally the tiny bit you can see from the public course, lol. It and Muirfield Village are by far the two nicest I’ve ever played. I didn’t enjoy Muirfield though. I was good at golf when I played it 20 years ago and it’s just too hard. The greens there are crazy, and you have to not only be in the FW but on some holes the right portion of it to have an acceptable chance of scoring. If I played it daily I would most likely not change my opinion of it. It’s just too dang hard.

I really enjoy Shale Creek. I’ve only played it twice but it has everything I enjoy about a course. It is challenging yet I wouldn’t call it hard. It’s gettable but it can kick your butt as well.

mrkich;n8886651 said:
Sometimes it’s love at first sight (rustic canyon for me), and sometimes it takes a while (Alhambra for me). first time I played there I thought it was boring and short and a waste of my time. Next couple times realized it needed a lot of strategy and really asked me to hit a lot of different shots.

What courses have you grown to love over time?

I used to feel that way about Rustic Canyon. It was the first real course I had ever played and it held a special place in my heart. Now, I really don't like it. The greens are awful, and make the round no fun at all.

pmm21;n8887773 said:
I used to feel that way about Rustic Canyon. It was the first real course I had ever played and it held a special place in my heart. Now, I really don't like it. The greens are awful, and make the round no fun at all.

Some of those greens make me want to pull my hair out, especially the 12th, don’t think I’ve ever held that green with a wedge.

mrkich;n8887777 said:
Some of those greens make me want to pull my hair out, especially the 12th, don�t think I�ve ever held that green with a wedge.

The only want to play it is to hit the ball to 10 yards short of the middle, with a high spinning shot. The let the ball release toward the gate. Even then you probably have a 30% chance of stopping it anywhere near the center.

Posted by my thumbs.

pmm21;n8887784 said:
The only want to play it is to hit the ball to 10 yards short of the middle, with a high spinning shot. The let the ball release toward the gate. Even then you probably have a 30% chance of stopping it anywhere near the center.

Posted by my thumbs.

Definitely the way to go, but as a fairly low spin player it’s a nightmare

i’ve fallen out of love with courses more often than in love with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

McLovin;n8887983 said:
i’ve fallen out of love with courses more often than in love with them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

What are some reasons for the change of heart?

obedt;n8886658 said:
Maybe it was just too difficult when I first started, or didn't really appreciate the nuance of framing holes off the tee, but the courses at Palmas del Mar were not my favorite when I started. Can't wait to play them now. The Flamboyan course in particular, designed by Rees Jones, is one I hope to play again this year.

The Jones bunch makes some tough (too tough?) courses. Good luck next time out there!

mrkich;n8888085 said:
What are some reasons for the change of heart?

scar tissue. getting beat up by the same course over and over, usually because it forces one course of action in the hole instead of giving you options, and for some unknown reason i can never successfully execute the required shots.

I've played many courses over the years but one I always go back to is Cary Country Club in Cary, Illinois. I've played this course at least once a summer for the past 42 years, some summers more than once.

https://www.carycountryclub.com/

A local track by me is one where most people play it once and say "never again". It is filled with blind shots, slopes and tough greens. It is one of my favorites, because a good score there is a GOOD score.

I learned to love the Heathland course at Legends in Myrtle Beach.

1st started playing at Legends in 1995 and we'd only ever hit the Parkland and Moorland course.

Moorland was/is a good challenge and offered some interesting and unique holes. Parkland was/is a sneaky challenge. Looks like this harmless, tranquil traditional course until you're out there and realize it has some serious teeth, especially from the tips. It's a bear from there.

The week before we bought a condo at Legends in late '01 was when I first played Heathland. It was OK, links look that I love, but just OK.

Over the years I'd play it numerous times and I really grew to love it. Certain angles into greens led to better scoring opportunities, the ability to bump & run into many greens, fairway undulations, varied stances, tiered greens.

And wind. Man, it was mostly windy. No area in Myrtle is exceptionally elevated and the Legends grounds certainly aren't either. But the Heathland course sits higher than the other two and is nearly fully exposed. When the wind is up, it can be a heckuva challenge.

PGA National, the Champions Course. Home of "The Bear Trap". I've played it a couple of times, but really fell in love with it on the first trip and can't wait to get back there to have another crack.

Drumdog;n8890397 said:
PGA National, the Champions Course. Home of "The Bear Trap". I've played it a couple of times, but really fell in love with it on the first trip and can't wait to get back there to have another crack.

I used to live there at PGA National. The Champ is a great course! I got to observe the Ryder Cup and the PGA Championship played there. I also attended some of the Senior Tour events. I've played that course so many times, it's difficult to estimate how many times I've played it. :bashful:

When I later moved up to the Jupiter/Tequesta area just a little bit north, my new favorite course became Lost Lake in Hobe Sound. If you're back down there, try it! 6850 from the tips with a slope of 142 and always in great condition. It is tight in places, the usual lots of water and sand. I've played it at least 50 times.

Lost Lake is the course I came to love down there. My best score there was a lackadaisical 40 on the front 9 and at the turn, the visiting club pro I was playing with challenged me and I came in with a 1 over 37 on the back. 18 is a beautiful 440 yd par 4 dogleg left, trouble on both sides and fairway bunkers on the turn. After the round, I asked him why he did that at the turn and he said he could tell I wasn't focused and he thought playing for something, would get me engaged, He was right. I learned something about myself that day.

I always loved the Canyon Course at Forest Highlands in Flagstaff, AZ. This year, I discovered the We Ko Pa courses in Fountain Hills, AZ and thoroughly fell in love with both of them.

Back