How do you calculate your distance

Doubleb21

2022 Grandaddy Team 5150 member 2020 AZTHP Champ
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
With all of the choices out there what are you using or are you old school and figure out the yardage of off the course markers?

I have ave a garmin S60 watch that works well for the front, middle and back yards. I also use a precision pro range finder if I want a more exact number. I have not had a chance to mess with a sky caddie type unit yet.

What at are you using THP?

Bushnell Tour V3 rangefinder. Still does the job but want to upgrade it eventually.

I use my Garmin Approach S20, works perfect for what I want out of a watch. Yardages to the front, middle, and back along with layup numbers, and can also measure the distance of a shot too. A neat feature I like is when I am on the green it knows to automatically bring up the score screen so I can enter it once I am done. My old watch never did that so it's a cool added feature. Also has a very slim feeling around my wrist, which is nice.

Arccos golf

I picked up a SkyCaddie SX500 this season. Love it. I still have my Bushnell rangefinder in the bag as it still works. Love the display on the SkyCaddie since it gives so much information.

I use a combination of my Bushnell rangefinder and Arccos Caddy.

Simple. Point the laser at the pin.

If I want the distance to something else (bunker, front edge of green, whatever) I point the laser at that.

If I want to know how far I hit my tee shot, I point the laser at the pin, hit the shot, walk to the ball, point the laser at the pin again.

Never a need for yardage markers or GPS.

BlueHen2006;n8886777 said:
I use my Garmin Approach S20, works perfect for what I want out of a watch. Yardages to the front, middle, and back along with layup numbers, and can also measure the distance of a shot too. A neat feature I like is when I am on the green it knows to automatically bring up the score screen so I can enter it once I am done. My old watch never did that so it's a cool added feature. Also has a very slim feeling around my wrist, which is nice.

I am betting my watch does more just need to read the manual lol. My old garmin was huge and very heavy compared to my new one. This one loads much quicker also with the courses preloaded. I don’t miss having to download the course.

Laser for me. But I often miss my Bushnell GPS watch.

Tenputt;n8886786 said:
I use a combination of my Bushnell rangefinder and Arccos Caddy.

I have arccos also but leave the phone in my pocket so I am not killing time. I do like the across data.

leupold laser, and arccos.

You win the thread.

Typically will use my laser. On courses that I know well enough or times I am playing just casually, i will just look for the 150 marker and estimate it. I used to use a gps on my phone (grint), but it drained the battery so fast it wasn't worth it.

I use the Arccos system and golf logic app.

I do find it interesting when the two apps don’t agree with one another. This happens more than it should.

I also will ask my playing partner, who uses a procession pro range finder, what he has listed.

I think it’s very important to not only know the distance, but the true carry and roll of each of your clubs.

Jman;n8886848 said:
You win the thread.

Agreed that was a perfect reply!

Depends on the day. If i remember to bring it with me I have the GPS on my ShotScope. If I don't, then my Bushnell V3 is always in my bag. Lastly I'm nearly always running 18 birdies to track score/stats (mainly because I keep forgetting to wear the shot scope) so I can always use that GPS.

I also spend the occasional day and just use whats marked on the course (yardage stakes, sprinkler heads). I won't pace those off but they're close enough for guesstimation (my game isn't good enough where the 3 yard difference matters)

fuffle master;n8886882 said:
I use the Arccos system and golf logic app.

I do find it interesting when the two apps don’t agree with one another. This happens more than it should.

I also will ask my playing partner, who uses a procession pro range finder, what he has listed.

I think it’s very important to not only know the distance, but the true carry and roll of each of your clubs.

My wife has a garmin and our two distances are always off also. I would of thought that the satellite distances would be the same.

radiman;n8886781 said:
I picked up a SkyCaddie SX500 this season. Love it. I still have my Bushnell rangefinder in the bag as it still works. Love the display on the SkyCaddie since it gives so much information.

Hopefully I’ll get to see this someday on course!

I use a lot of Kentucky Windage. Not as precise as these lasers you speak of but it is adventurous.

I have an older Garmin G6 (pre slope) that I've had for probably 4 years. I can move the pin around on the green if I'm really "trying to dial in" but I'm just not good enough to need that number, front/back/bunkers is really all I need or want right now. I do have a bushnell laser if I forget to charge up my GPS but honestly I feel more comfortable just knowing the middle of the green from the tee or my second shot over trying to laser it out. Definitely works better from blind shots (over a hill) when I cannot see the green, especially on courses I haven't played before.

Danimal;n8886912 said:
I use a lot of Kentucky Windage. Not as precise as these lasers you speak of but it is adventurous.

Makes the game more exciting right!

Hoosiermess;n8886913 said:
I have an older Garmin G6 (pre slope) that I've had for probably 4 years. I can move the pin around on the green if I'm really "trying to dial in" but I'm just not good enough to need that number, front/back/bunkers is really all I need or want right now. I do have a bushnell laser if I forget to charge up my GPS but honestly I feel more comfortable just knowing the middle of the green from the tee or my second shot over trying to laser it out. Definitely works better from blind shots (over a hill) when I cannot see the green, especially on courses I haven't played before.

I don't need the exact number either i am just happy to be anywhere near the green LOL!

Gps app(s) for me. A laser doesn't keep your stats.

PapaJohick - TheGrint wore down my S9+ a bit, but I took the wife yesterday and it didn't phase her Note10 at all. Maybe it's not as heavy now - they updated it or changed the default settings? A lot of them let you decide how fast the gps feature runs. Might be worth another shot if you liked it otherwise.

I use the GPS watch for almost every shot and I'll usually laser a handful of shots too. On courses I'm not that familiar with I'll probably use the laser a little more than normal to figure out tricky tee shots or layups etc...

Back