What Is the #1 Best Golf Shot You've Hit In Your Life

MizunoStriker

Reaction score
Handicap
Think this one through. It can be a hole in one, shot to win a bet, tournament, or bragging rights over your buddies.

For me it was about 15 years ago, a buddy and I were playing a scramble against a couple of dudes from out of town. It was a much bigger money game than I would usually play but my buddy (high handicapper hype man) talked me into it.

We're down $200 going into the 18th hole with a press on. Our opponents were in the fairway but into a cold south wind had 230 to get to the green. I knew birdie would win the hole. My buddy just duffed one from 196 and said, "Hey man, you need to hit a good shot here, I'll be honest, I don't have any money on me. " Oh, s*** moment fully in effect.

The Shot: A 2-iron struck perfectly into a 3 club wind and I knocked it to 1 foot. We tapped in, shook hands and drank to the fact our wives weren't going to divorce us for losing the bet.

Chipped in for birdie from under a tree behind the green on the last hole to win the round and a bet with my friend by one stroke. Unfortunately it was only $10, but it felt great.

Sunk a 30ish foot putt for my first ever birdie a few weeks back.

I have not hit a hole in one ever, so I don't know if it was my best shot more of most memorable.

On vacation, we went golfing and on a beautiful par 3 over the water, I hit the green from 155 yards. The memorable thing was as the ball was in the air we watched a bird fly down and grab a fish out of the water. So majestic to see that in action. The shot was decent when we looked up to find my ball landed on the green only a few feet from the hole.

Missed the green on a driveable par-4 to the right. When I got to my 2nd shot, I was left with about 20' to the pin, but it was over a bunker and the ball was on hardpan. The green sloped away from me and to the right where the pin was tucked on the other side of the bunker, and I really thought it was going to be about a 1 in 50 chance of getting the shot within 20'.

I set up for an extreme flop shot, feeling zero confidence from the hard pan. The ball popped straight up and landed just passed the fringe and almost stopped; but it started trickling down and right toward the pin and somehow went in for eagle. It was a ridiculous shot!

probably my 3rd shot on a tough par 5 at the kickoff classic with snell golf while dean snell (my partner) was on the green telling me to i needed to hit a great shot to get it inside our opponent’s shot. tough lie, bad angle, delicate distance, and a wee case of the shanks that day. i pulled it off brilliantly! felt so damn good to see the smile on his face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

College match, match even, 18th hole, uphill par 5 2nd shot, into 5 mph wind. We had caddies. About 240 yds away, I reach for 3 wood, caddy says hit 4 iron, close the face, your usual swing. I hit it solid, takes a big bounce and I hear cheering from other players around green. My ball stops on the lip for a tap in eagle, we win match.

My first time playing Pebble Beach... on 17 tee, it’s playing 185y. The caddy hands me my 5i and says just put that smooth swing on it you’ve been doing all day.

I pulled the trigger and hit a nice little draw. I heard the caddy mutter “oh be right, be RIGHT” under his breath. It was all over the flag.

The divot was pin high about a foot from the cup. It rolled out to about 10 feet and I missed the putt but that’s as pure a shot as I’ve ever hit, and a fantastic place and time to hit it.

Most of the time I default to an eagle from about 110 yards on a par 5, but that was completely luck. If I look at a shot that took some concentration and actual execution, it would probably be a chip in from about 20 feet. Just off the green, last year, nice strike to pop it up a bit, and a nice roll straight into the cup. I think I get as much enjoyment from those types of shots as I do the long, luck shot.

I'm not sure if it was the best of my life but it has to be close and is the most memorable. It was at the Grandaddy and my partner flew the green and left me probably 10-15 yards, well below the green with a palm tree directly in the way. The only option was to hit a huge flop and I somehow pulled it off leaving my partner a few feet for the par, which he drained.

The response from the group was absolutely memorable.

Tough one. So I think about it, I'm like, wow, that was 29 years ago.

I lived in Nashville, but was playing a Junior tournament, an Invitational down in Chattanooga at Chattanooga Golf and Country Club, Coca Cola Classic.

Shotgun start, I'm on my 16th hole, I'm -1 in the round and walk up to the 18th tee box and there are at least four groups backed up, ugh. 185 yards, I'm nervous because I figure I'm in contention, and now I've got an audience and we're all taking and they're all like, who is this 15yr old kid? I don't think I could breathe, lol, but I stroked a 5 iron to a foot. RELIEF!

Shot 2 under, 69, but lost out to Eric Axley who shot a damn good 67.

The good 'ole days.

Definitely my HIO. Just a nice cut shot, hits green and rolls maybe 3 feet and drops.

2 years ago.
156 yard par 3. A little uphill, into a slight breeze. A well struck 8 iron hit about 8 ft from the hole and rolled in for my first ace.

Hard to tell. I've hit a bunch of great shots, but haven't had anything drop for a HIO or Albatross to edge out the top spot. I missed a HIO on a 185y par 3 last year, I think (maybe autumn of '17), by 6" or so. In 2003, I was playing the Gateway Valley GC (now closed) on Kelly AFB, TX. I can't remember which hole it was, but I had a flop over a bunker on a par 5 that I hit for eagle. I pitched one in from about 35y for eagle c.2005 when I was in Turkey. I drove a 265y par 4 in Guam... and hit the putt. Hit a 360y drive leaving GW into a par 5 just a month or so ago (still made par). So many good/great shots, but nothing spectacular.

I was in a scramble and hitting from 215 out. I hit my 5 wood on the screws and it carried to the right front and then rolled up about 6" to the hole. Based on the line and where it stopped it had to have lipped out.

Second best was just 3 weeks ago when I holed out from 54 for my first eagle.

Flubbed first tee shot that ended up a hole in one. 107 yard par 3.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Had a hole in over 30 years ago. On a par 3 (natch) uphill to a pin tucked behind a bunker. Didn't even see the ball go in the hole. I'm looking off the back of the green when one of the people I was playing with popped the pin and called my name and the ball came flying out. The second one was on a par 4 from a 162 yds out. I hit a 6i and holed it for an eagle.

Last edited:
... I have had 2 Albotross's but consider them luck as I was just aiming for the center of the green and they rolled in. But last year I had 159 into a brutal 20 mph wind, lying in medium thick rough an inch off the fairway. I told my son I was gonna hit a knockdown 4 iron landing 20 yds short of the green and without any spin I should be able to get it on the front of the green for a short putt at a front pin location. Hit it perfectly, 20 yds short and it rolled on and looked like it was gonna stop on the lip but it rolled in for an eagle.

My best shot and most recent was a chip in bird from about 60yrds. Yes, I got lucky!

Probably the 265ish yard 3 wood second shot on a par 5 that stopped on the lip. 2nd choice would be a drive on a par 4 that stopped about three feet from the hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 shots stick with me.

PW from 132 out from the first cut. Hits the pin and drops in for eagle. Guys had just cleared the green saw the shot and then let me play through on the tee box.

5W from 238 out in the rough. Hit a high cut over water lands soft and rolls within a few inches of the hole. Stole the skin with an eagle. Closest I've been to an albatross. And then win stableford after an okayish round.

My other eagles were nice, some were off big putts others were a huge drive with short iron in hand, but those two approaches stick with me.

After a lot of thought, I decided it was my birdie on #6 at Seminole Golf Club in Juno Beach FL. For some reason I was really anxious playing this course. Came into the Men's Locker Room there and saw the lockers of all the legends of golf there. Sam, Ben, Arnold, Jack and so on...

It was the last day the course was open before summer maintenance and my best friend Jack got us on the course and the Asst Club Pro decided to play with us, plus the caddies. I'll admit I was a bit jacked up. The first hole was pretty easy but things went downhill from there. The greens were ridiculously fast. Got to the 6th hole and the Club Pro mentions that this was Hogan's favorite.

My turn to tee off and just so you know, this hole is a dogleg right. I tried to hit a fade around the dogleg, open stance, slightly open face, take the clubhead a bit outside.... and I somehow cleverly managed to pull hook it way left and into some really nasty scrub brush sand stuff. Somehow the caddie found my ball and to make things worse, I also had a big tree about 30-40 yds in front of me, between me and the green. Could not see the green.

The caddie asked what I could hit 230 and I said a cut 4W. He then handed it to me and said to cut it and aim over the left side of the tree. Somehow I stayed in this swing and hit the ball extremely well. The caddie sprinted off to the right to see where it went and started screaming... "What a SHOT!!! What a SHOT!!!...." I calmly walked about 30 yds back over to the fairway and saw the result myself. My ball was like 6" from the hole. Tap in bird on Hogan's favorite golf hole. Everyone shook my hand for the most memorable golf shot of the day.

It's tempting to pick a hole-in-one. But I really think my best single shot was a trouble shot I envisioned and pulled off perfectly.

It was a par 5 and my tee shot settled in on the wrong side of the tree line. The ball was sitting on hardpan. I envisioned hitting a fade that would go over a smaller tree and between two larger trees, peeling back to the fairway and landing on the green 250 yards out. Struck it perfectly and the ball settled in 8 feet left of the flag. Made the eagle putt.

3 HIO’s....hard to pick a favorite child.

Nate;n8889650 said:
3 HIO�s....hard to pick a favorite child.
I hate you...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Back