Who needs who more? Tiger or the Tour?

millsan1

I've figured this game out! Oh wait, no I haven't
Reaction score
Handicap
14?
Tiger is the Needle Mover, no doubt.

As Tiger is reaching the end of his career, he is playing a lot less, and frequently, a lot worse (relative to his best).

Tiger will be gone soon. As of now, in my opinion, he is a filler. How many times have we watched an event where there is a sizeable portion of the coverage on Tiger, as he struggles along in 50th place?

The coverage will go like this: 30 seconds on the top 3 players and then 3 minutes on Tiger somewhere being a back marker.

In my opinion, the Tour needs Tiger way more than Tiger needs the Tour. He is more than set financially.

So what will the Tour do?

From a viewership standpoint I think the tour needs Tiger. But I think Tiger needs the tour and his fellow pros more than people think. I know it frustrates him to not to be able to compete at the highest level.

They need him a great deal IMO. Whatever your opinion is of him, directly results in ratings. I’m not sure if he and or Phil have too much pride(and money) to bother transitioning to the Champions tour at some point way down the line. But if Tiger is playing I’m watching. Maybe he could transition into a commentator role or something but who knows. I could see him sticking around regularly until the Olympic and try to check that of his achievement list as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiger is the needle. He doesn’t move the needle.

There are are a lot of awesomely talented players in the FedEx Cup championship and unless you follow golf, you would not know that it’s going on. Look at the excitement last year and it was all because of one name on the leaderboard.

Tiger is a hard act to follow, so my expectation is that (when Tiger is not playing), PGA Tour events will continue to suffer from lackluster ticket sales and struggle to attract tv ratings.
One factor that does keep the PGA Tour going reasonably well is that corporate executives play golf and want to hang with pro golfers at Pro-Am's, dinner parties etc..., so the execs are willing to have their companies put up the $7 to $9 million per event sponsorship obligation.

The PGA needs Tiger he attracts a whole different level crowds then anyone since Arnie and Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can tell you I probably won't watch as much once Tiger is gone unless someone with personality and/or excitement comes along. I think he's getting more to a point where he's enjoying his family and other business ventures enough that he'll be fine without the tour in the near future.

Tiger doesn't need the PGA tour... he has already proven all that he needs to and there is no other person currently that attracts viewership to the magnitude that he does. Golf would lose a lot of casual fans if Tiger hung it up, IMO.

pretty simple answer: the tour needs tiger. show me one time in the past 20 years that we have seen a mob like we saw at east lake last year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The tour needs Tiger more than he needs the tour. Tiger made golf cool, popular and the sport (along with it's participants, tournaments, etc.) a lot of money.

Id say that Tiger needs the tour, or else he wouldnt keep coming back even though is body is breaking down and he really has nothing left to prove. If Tiger walked away tomorrow, the tour would be fine because theres so much great young talent and every year more young talent shows up.

Tour needs Tiger more.

Tiger definitely brings the heat from a ratings perspective, and outside of the majors and a couple of others, the tour needs the additional excitement.

I think history has shown that the Tour benefits greatly with Tiger in the field. Attendance, ratings, revenue are all much higher compared to when he isn't in the field of a normal tour event. The Tour needs Tiger more.

Back