What's your plan when playing a new course for the first time?

ken_h

Perpetual Hacker
Reaction score
Handicap
10.5 GHIN
Do you try to scout it beforehand in some way, or would you rather not ruin the 'surprise'?

I'll usually check it out via ARCCOS a bit and maybe go to the course website to see if there are any tips. I don't take any notes though so I'm not sure how much it really helps me.

ken_h;n8887660 said:
Do you try to scout it beforehand in some way, or would you rather not ruin the 'surprise'?

I'll usually check it out via ARCCOS a bit and maybe go to the course website to see if there are any tips. I don't take any notes though so I'm not sure how much it really helps me.

Off the tee boxes I try to hit the fairway, which often means less than driver.

I will typically go to the website and check out the course layout. I used to try and measure some stuff out on Google maps and plot myself around the course, but it started to kind of deteriorate the experience for me when I finally did hit the course. I’ll still go to Google Maps and try to see some overhead views just to get a sense of the layout, but I truly like to wait until I am there in person

when I did have arrcos, I loved seeing new courses on that

I pull it up on 18birdies and will check out the layout and yardage to the greens. Seems to help me get around faster since I know tee box locations and the layout.

Always scout it out on GolfPad. Sometimes on Google Earth. As for game plan, fairways and greens, but isn't that the game plan at every course? Somehow it doesn't end up like that.

I try to find as much info as possible online. If they have them I like to get a yardage book. If I'm going in complete blind I use my zapper a lot.

I'm not changing up my style too much so I will usually get the yardage book (if they have one) when i check in an take a look. Otherwise I will rely on my rangefinder and Bushnell app as i play to be aware of hazards and overall layout.

I prefer to look at the layout via (at the least), google earth. I don't want to be surprised with what's in front of me.

I will use Google Earth to look at a course. But I'm won't really change the way I play.

If it’s just me playing solo in no competition I’m usually pretty aggressive, any other situation I play ultra conservative off the tee usually to get a feel for things.

If it is a blind shot and I am not in a hurry I will drive the cart up and have a look around. I play conservative and lay up to 100 yards a lot.

Don't over think it and keep the ball in front of me.

I scout it with a gps app to get a feel for the lengths, turns, hazards, etc. Saves time on the course and can help me if I'm trying to decide between clubs or shafts for the round.

not much usually. it’s nice to have something arccos with the caddie feature that knows your game and can help you make the best decisions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I may look at their website just to see what the course is like but I don't look at distances or anything, more just the scenery.

When I'm on the course I keep it simple, hit the ball straight and try to hit greens. Same strategy as any other course.

Look through it on my GPS app, mostly to get a feel for carry distances and big trouble to avoid. I try to make a tentative decision on which holes are driver holes and which ones aren't.

I don't research it in advance but I always carry my Garmin G6 and wear Shotscope 2. I look at the layout and distances before playing each hole.

Pre-round, I may look it up online.
Playing, it’s “Middle of everything.”
Sadly, that sometimes includes water hazards and bunkers.

I will look at the course map and the scorecard beforehand, just to get a feel for the course but other than that, I just show up and let it fly.

I play for fun and just try and enjoy myself out there.

If money is involved I'll try and play smart off the tee otherwise I'm there to have fun with friends.

Ideally just play for the fairway, try to find the greens and hope the putter is playing nice, really not much more I can do.

Last edited:
If it's a tournament I'll try to get in a practice round. Otherwise, check the course layout on their website or another service. If it's just for fun, I generally just go play.

Had to come back here. I realized while in another thread how valuable I have found a good rangefinder when playing new courses. Having the ability to shoot to various hazards and other course features are HUGE when playing a new course. It allows you to avoid trouble. You can pick the right club to get to the knee of a dogleg like you've played the course forever.

Typically I tend to play conservative, won’t pull driver on every tee box. I also tend to try to look at either Google Earth and look at scorecards and course layouts if on the internet.

Back