How many strokes would you need over a PGA pro in the playoffs?

manhattan01

Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.8
I saw this tweet yesterday... https://twitter.com/PGATOUR/status/1164250816519315456?s=19

...And got me thinking, how many strokes would I need going into the 4 day playoffs at East Lake. Question was asked of Brooks over a 15 capper. He said 75 strokes. I'd say I'd need over a hundred easy. And he's one guy I'd hate to have behind me in a playoff.

How many strokes would you need and who would you not want breathing down your back?

50ish. Those courses are hard

Ummm I would imagine I would need at least 50.... that’s probably way underestimating though.

Seeing how the best best I could shoot at east lake for their set up is roughly 90 and that would be my absolute best ever. That’s at least 18 shots a day ifff they only shoot par... that has them coming back and beating me by 22 haha. Sooo give me 75, hope they don’t go low and have at least one over par round and I MIGHT have a chance.... might.

A ton. I’m still an official 9.6, however since illness and subsequent medication I’ve played more like a 15 since last fall. Just haven’t played enough to see it rise. But I’ve always been all over the place anyways for example I shot the best round of my life two summers ago. Everything clicked perfectly and I carded a -6. I was an official 5 then. I also shot two rounds in the 100’s that year.

So in order to have a chance, me playing like a 15 and then playing like a +7 or +8, that’s 22 strokes a round. Throw in I’m not used to playing those type of courses and they are harder. I know anything under 100 I would lose. I probably would lose with 150 just because I’d be nervous as all get out with all those folks watching and highly doubt I’d perform well, at least at first.

Who I wouldn’t want breathing down my neck on Sunday? Tiger is a red shirt would terrify me unless I had a 50+ stroke lead, lol.

That's basically a stroke every hole. I would need more.

I would be better off arm wrestling him for holes! I honestly can't think of a number I would feel confident in to hold him off.:talktohand:

At least 25 per day

Well I did a little homework. The formula is the ((slope index of the course) x HC index) / 113 = course handicap.

For women: (154 x HC) / 113 = East Lake Championship HC none of the tees longer than the greens were rated for women, but the gold and greens were about 11-12 slope ratings higher so I estimated this would be the case.

For men: (144 x HC) / 113 = East Lake Championship HC

So at a 19 handicap, the USGA says I'd need 104 strokes. Yeah, right. That's optimistic. I've seen the yardages on the par 3s. And then there's the 15th hole. As long as I get to ride in a cart with a pack of cigarettes and a cooler of beer. I'll say a prayer to John Daly before the round and swing for the fences all day. Let's go.

InTheRough;n8887814 said:
Well I did a little homework. The formula is the ((slope index of the course) x HC index) / 113 = course handicap.

For women: (154 x HC) / 113 = East Lake Championship HC none of the tees longer than the greens were rated for women, but the gold and greens were about 11-12 slope ratings higher so I estimated this would be the case.

For men: (144 x HC) / 113 = East Lake Championship HC

So at a 19 handicap, the USGA says I'd need 104 strokes. Yeah, right. That's optimistic. I've seen the yardages on the par 3s. And then there's the 15th hole. As long as I get to ride in a cart with a pack of cigarettes and a cooler of beer. I'll say a prayer to John Daly before the round and swing for the fences all day. Let's go.

Don't forget that Tour players aren't scratch golfers..they're probably +6? At that number, they're giving up an extra 8 per round to a scratch golfer so you'll be up to 136 (I'm getting 104 as a 14.3). I'd be more optimistic about beating them at one round at that number than over a four round tournament.

I’ll be honest here and say 125 and it may still not be enough. The course looks impossible

I'm trying to think of a number. But, it's a tough question, lol. I don't know. He says something about going out and shooting a 62. If I shot an 82 in those conditions I'd be pumped. There's 20 strokes in one round. If I had to come up with a round number, I'd say 70. Even then I wouldn't like my chances.

Start me at -50 and watch my lead evaporate pretty quicky.

I’ll take 200 and feel confident it'll be a close match, maybe a little less if I get a caddie that knows the entire course as well.

BlueHen2006;n8887855 said:
I�ll take 200 and feel confident it'll be a close match, maybe a little less if I get a caddie that knows the entire course as well.
Oooh, I forgot about the impact a caddie would make. Especially if they knew my tendencies. I think a caddie would shave off 3-4 strokes a day...maybe more.

I think 150 for me to think I have a chance. And closer to 200 for me to actually have a chance.

For me probably around 15/day for 60. I think one thing people are not counting on also is playing 4 18 hole rounds of tournament golf. Not too many people have actually done that and I can tell you from experience it is a grind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brianmk24;n8887828 said:
Don't forget that Tour players aren't scratch golfers..they're probably +6? At that number, they're giving up an extra 8 per round to a scratch golfer so you'll be up to 136 (I'm getting 104 as a 14.3). I'd be more optimistic about beating them at one round at that number than over a four round tournament.

Going by my estimate for playing the course from the tips, I figure if I played it relatively conservative and kept the ball in play I'd score 79 total on the par 4s and par 5s. Then comes the par 3s which add another 24 strokes. That gives me a cool 103 for the round. 102 - 26 (HC) = 76 net or +6 net from the tips. That's all the USGA thinks I'm worth. See if it weren't for the par 3s, that 26 per day would probably be realistic. But the par 3s are killers. I can't carry the green with my driver on #9. In all likelihood I'll dunk my tee shot on #15 by missing either left or right which leaves me with a 90 yd wedge shot from the forward tee box which I'll likely put in the bunker on the left - two strokes to get out + two putts = quad for the hole. Give me a double bogey on the other two par 3s. So I would need 136 strokes per day to have a chance to get to even par. By USGA handicap rules I don't stand a chance which is why I said have a cooler of beer, a pack of cigarettes, say a prayer to John Daly and swing for the fences.

BlueHen2006;n8887855 said:
I’ll take 200 and feel confident it'll be a close match, maybe a little less if I get a caddie that knows the entire course as well.

i’m right around here too. i played congressional a few weeks before the us open. i was playing ok at the time. i was hung over af, but still i shot probably 110. the rough was insane, greens were fast. rory destroyed that course. so each day they’re picking up 40-50 strokes on me. so yeah, 175-200 is about right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My goal is bogey golf (90) and the closest I’ve gotten was 93.

So if I’m playing Ariya from the reds, I’ll give her a 7 iron and her putter only, and I’d still take 200!

Back