Do you need to be able to shape the ball to get to a low handicap?

Just_Brad

#GD 2023Legacy #HYFY - JB says "Be a Brad"
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you need to be able to shape the ball both ways (ie. draw & fade) to be able to get to a low (say a 5 or less) handicap?

Right now, I generally hit the ball straight. Can usually hit a fade if needed. Can't hit a draw on purpose to save my life.

If you are a lower handicap, do you think shaping the ball is an important skill to add? Or is a person just better off playing the shape that they have to get consistent results?

That is one big giant no. If you know the ball is going to do one thing you can be really really good.

If you can do it both ways there is nothing wrong with that but I wouldn't stress

absolutely not. it seems to hurt more often than it helps. straight is good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Play your game and just keep dialing it in. Nothing wrong with what you’re doing. It can help to bend it here an there but it’s not gonna keep you from getting where you want to be. Biggest improvement anyone can work on is from 125 yards and in to bring their cap down.

It's a nice tool to have but no, absolutely not, you don't need it to go low.

Lots of very low singles and a few pluses at my club play their standard shot shape probably 90% of the time.

I know that I do. Only, mine is draw-straight-fade-I-have-no-idea-which... so, SWING batter!!! ;)

Most all Tour pros play their stock shot all the way around the golf course, for example Nicklaus played a left-to-right fade.. While the highest skilled players can play any type of shape shot, and do so when out of position in trouble such as within the trees,, one does not normally change their stock shot shape just because of a tee box or flag location.
For an amateur trying to maintain a scratch handicap, moving around the golf course trying to play some draws and some fades is likely counter productive.

I don’t know if I need to. It I remember reading (think in Hank Haneys book) that Tiger has 9 different shot “windows/shapes/trajectories” that he hits with all his irons.

chefkritter;n8888023 said:
Play your game and just keep dialing it in. Nothing wrong with what you’re doing. It can help to bend it here an there but it’s not gonna keep you from getting where you want to be. Biggest improvement anyone can work on is from 125 yards and in to bring their cap down.

what about 126, or 131 yrds? or what if I work on 119 and in but not 125? What if I work on my penal tee game? will that not help? What if I hit more greens from 135, 140, 150, 158? Would that not help nor be any big improvement?

No, I don’t think so. A solidly reliable one way ball flight is a thing of beauty and will more than good enough to let you go low with your index.

Absolutely not. I was at a 4 last year and will likely get there before the end of the year again, which puts me in your targeted range. I try to hit the ball straight and then hopefully don’t slice or hook it. My predominant shape is a draw. I cannot reproduce intentional fades to save my life, although I can hit a big slice to get around a tree if needed.

I dont think so. Really, the only time you would need to shape the ball is if you have to hit the ball around something. Some would say that its handy if there a cross wind on a hole but honestly, if the wind is right to left and you have room, it would probably be much safer to just aim a little to the right and let the wind take the ball a bit.
IMO, having a reliable shot shape is much better than trying to shape it left to right.

There’s guys on tour who won’t (or can’t) hit it both ways. I remember in a broadcast this year talking about JB Holmes being that way, among others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rollin;n8888044 said:
what about 126, or 131 yrds? or what if I work on 119 and in but not 125? What if I work on my penal tee game? will that not help? What if I hit more greens from 135, 140, 150, 158? Would that not help nor be any big improvement?

And not being a Richard is a plus

braddman19;n8888013 said:
Do you need to be able to shape the ball both ways (ie. draw & fade) to be able to get to a low (say a 5 or less) handicap?

Right now, I generally hit the ball straight. Can usually hit a fade if needed. Can't hit a draw on purpose to save my life.

If you are a lower handicap, do you think shaping the ball is an important skill to add? Or is a person just better off playing the shape that they have to get consistent results?

Is it a nice skill to have, yes but not a necessity. Rely on a nice straight ball or your fade and you can be golden.

chefkritter;n8888205 said:
And not being a Richard is a plus

So you now you call me or suggest Im a Richard?......that's nice
When did I ever call you one?

I only question the yardage notion you made as to what is the biggest improvement one can make to lower their cap is. There cant imo be a yardage number placed on any of it was my point (without saying it literally) and reasoning for throwing random yardage numbers out there.
And this somehow gets me called a Richard. Did I say you were one for your post?

And (this part not your doing) but you also receive thankyou's from others for doing it so basically they are also saying it. That's nice too :) I can feel the love. But its ok Im not looking for love. Just good interesting golf talk but unfortunately that is often enough not obtainable without this happening.

Nope..not at all.
I don't shape my shots very much at all. (only when I need a fade for a tree)
I'm currently a 5 hcp.

I agree with everyone saying no. For me, personally, if I start trying to work the ball, I'm going to hit way less greens.

Nah, you can get pretty good just hitting it straight. Or, playing a "stock" shot. If you can count on your fade, plan on it every time. I can hit a draw if I really try at it, but it's not very reliable and I only try when I'm trying to steer around an obstacle.

Not at all. As long as you can hit fairways, greens and make putts you can be a good to great golfer.

chefkritter;n8888023 said:

The best advice to give. Ball shaping might be needed at some point, but there isn't a direct correlation between "ball shaper" and low cap.

Keeping it in front of you and working on 125 and in will bring that cap down real quick.

It has been said (for a RH player), if it goes left it's a draw (or hook), if it goes right it's a fade (or a slice), and if it goes straight it's a miracle. Chances are, your ball is going either right or left. All you have to do it narrow down which way it goes most often. I don't think hitting the ball either direction on demand is a requirement for going low. I think that the closer you get to going low, the better you'll be and the more likely you will be to be able to move the ball both directions. There are a bunch of better players around here that'll either confirm or deny that. I think you're better off hitting your stock shot if at all possible, then only go to the other direction if you must.

Not necessarily. After I got my fitted irons, I was hitting solid, straight shots.

Then, according to my wife, I started “messing around with cute shots” and ended up hitting erratically - playing “Army golf.”

If you have a consistently solid swing and ball contact, I imagine that shot shaping could help. Otherwise...

No, not from my experience. I used to be a fader of the ball. I could not hit a draw to save my life. I did eliminate the left side miss though. My index was 5 but thats just because I was a lousy chipper and pitcher of the ball.

You just need to hit it where you're aiming, doesn't matter how it gets there.

rollin;n8888044 said:

Seems like you missed the point of the post by a wide margin. Generally speaking, I believe most of us Amateurs give away the majority of our strokes with the short game.

Jaymo37;n8888384 said:
Seems like you missed the point of the post by a wide margin. Generally speaking, I believe most of us Amateurs give away the majority of our strokes with the short game.

I wouldnt disagree with that completely but he said the biggest improvement to lower hc comes from 125in. Imo the biggest comes from wherever one lacks most. And also question why 125 is some magic number. That's not short game for tins of people anyway.

but still and regardless there is no reason to call me a Richrad or should I just say the actual word itself for what it really is?

I'm having conversation and that would deserve a slap.

Back