How do you consume golf? Member at a club? Daily greens fee?

MattyD-MPLS

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Are you a member at a club?
Pay daily greens fee?
Search for deals of the day on an app?
Groupon?
Patron card at a course?

I currently buy a patron card at my course and join the men’s league. I am hoping to join a semi private club in the next year or so. There are a lot of ways to play these days.

What do you do?

Daily fee/muni for me. Golf in Los Angeles is a tale of haves and have nots. Any private worth a lick is over 6 figures initiation so I’m hoping to win the lottery one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Work at a course so get free golf at 5 courses.

Daily fee as well with THP'ers a few times a year.

Unfortunately don’t have the expendable time to play enough to justify the cost of a local membership. Would love to, but just not possible at this point.

The course I play most often has something called "The Players Club". 30 bucks a month during the active season, and $2 during the winter. I play Sunday mornings for $30 instead of $60, so 1 weekend round makes it worth it. Weekday rates get as low as $10 in the afternoon. There is also a range key good for 4 buckets a day and you get a free beverage with the round. The course is in good shape, more or less, the bunkers need work. They have free clinics during the season too. All around great deal! Otherwise I keep an eye out for discounts and deal on Golfnow and don't feel too bad about paying rack when I want to play elsewhere. I'm in an online club and we play 6 to 8 times together around the region.

OtterMan;n8888112 said:
The course I play most often has something called "The Players Club". 30 bucks a month during the active season, and $2 during the winter. I play Sunday mornings for $30 instead of $60, so 1 weekend round makes it worth it. Weekday rates get as low as $10 in the afternoon. There is also a range key good for 4 buckets a day and you get a free beverage with the round. The course is in good shape, more or less, the bunkers need work. They have free clinics during the season too. All around great deal! Otherwise I keep an eye out for discounts and deal on Golfnow and don't feel too bad about paying rack when I want to play elsewhere. I'm in an online club and we play 6 to 8 times together around the region.

That seems like a really good deal! What’s the name of your course?

Been a member at private clubs for 16 years, current club for 12.

I used to take yearly 6-12 day golf vacations but no longer do that.

Otherwise, I play a round when we at the beach or will occasionally visit another course in town just for the heck of it. But on average about 120 of my 130 or so rounds a year are at my club.

Last edited:
Yearly membership at a resort course about 20 mins from my house. Have been doing that every year for the last 6 or 7 years. I try to play as many other courses in and outside my area as time and budget allow. This has been an off year for how little I've played, but after Labor Day the greens fees drop at other courses.

It's almost embarrassing how little I pay for my membership. If the wife and I relocate after retirement, there's going to be a rude awakening of the real cost to play golf.

I am a member at a private club. It's a bit expensive but the course is beautiful and usually not very crowded. The public courses in the area are always crowded, so to me the added expense is worth it. I typically use the range once a week and play a few times a week. I do play the local public courses a few times a year, which makes me appreciate my club even more.

Sent from my BTV-W09 using Tapatalk

I bought a walking membership at a public course. For $600 it's all the golf I can walk! I also purchased a card that allows me to play certain courses in Northern Michigan for $25. Some of the courses mark off your round so you cannot play there again. Some of them allow you to play over and over for the $25 fee that includes a cart.

I use Golfnow and Teeoff to find good deals on courses around town.

Very limited selection (2 courses) where I live so I have been a member of the significantly more affordable public course for 11 years.

Member at a semi-private club.

dthogey;n8888133 said:
I bought a walking membership at a public course. For $600 it's all the golf I can walk! I also purchased a card that allows me to play certain courses in Northern Michigan for $25. Some of the courses mark off your round so you cannot play there again. Some of them allow you to play over and over for the $25 fee that includes a cart.

I see you are up here in my neck of the woods. (I'm over in Mesick.)

Golf is very affordable up here and there are so many decent courses. Too bad the season is so short.

daily greens fees. i want to be a member, but it’s not the right time in my career or kids’ lives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I "belong" to a privately owned, daily fee course that offers weekday memberships. For basically $200/mo or a little less than that if paying the annual fee in a lump sum, I get unlimited golf with cart that has a GPS every weekday except Holidays (have to pay a cart fee on those days), free range balls 7 days/week, 1/2 off draft beers and fountain sodas, 40% discount on prepared food and a 17% discount on "soft goods" in the pro shop. Normal senior, weekday rates are $32 if you join their "loyalty" program which is free to do. They also offer something they call Practice Learn Play (PLP) which costs $54/mo and provides for free range balls 7 days/week and anywhere from $6-19 green fees (time of day dependent and free after 6:00PM).

I get free golf at the two local courses because I’m a HS golf coach.

Its a win.

Daily fees at where I go since I am not a member anywhere. Do have one group of 5 courses I have a member card for but that really gets me 5-10 off each round and a few days more to get a time. Cost I think 30-40 bucks so usually pays for itself each year.

I have a yearly membership,(it really cheap) I do play at least once a month at an outside course so daily fees there.

Both. The club is right down the road. When I'm not injured I play there regularly and pay daily fees about once a week at other courses.

OtterMan;n8888112 said:

I am also member of The Players Club. Pay same $30 per month and golf for $20 weekdays or after 1pm weekends at one course or $15 at another. Free range balls and they also do some free clinics. Haven’t been able to get to any clinics yet. Timing isn’t best for my schedule unfortunately.

We have a cool membership program where I pay $80 a month and have access to two courses in town and another 10 or so within an hour of us for free. It's a great program other than it's so popular that rounds take forever.

• “Pass Holder” at Gateway National which is a nice public course. It gets me unlimited range balls, unlimited rounds with a cart. This is my primary way of consuming golf.
  • Private reciprocal Clubs - we have an exceptional recriprocal list of golf courses at the Missouri Athletic Club so I play a number of private courses through that.
  • MAC league - since we have so many members that have memberships at the local elite clubs, I play places like Old Warson, Boone Valley and Bellerive through our golf league. Members of the MAC and those clubs get us on.
  • Walters Golf reciprocal courses - Walters golf manages Gateway National so I can play any of the other managed courses for either $19 or $24 depending on the course.
Outside if those 4, I don’t play much else unless of traveling. I bring my clubs everywhere.

Back