Tipping. How much?

dthogey

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Most public courses around here in northern Michigan have young kids working summer jobs at these golf courses. The course I am a member of the bag boys do not split tips. I normally walk at my course and don't even need my bag loaded onto a cart but because I want to help these kids out I usually give them $2 for taking my bag out of my truck and another $2 for putting it back in! I don't really need the help but I feel like I should tip them something. Some private courses seem to have older people working and for some reason I feel like I should give them more. In buying a $5 beer from the cart girl I will usually give her a dollar or two.
I see lots of guys that refuse to have the bag boys touch their bag, they don't want to have to tip them. This bothers me, they are just trying to earn a little money and what is a dollar?

If we are at a course and go to the backdrop and the bag boys are very attentive handling both bags, removing them from the vehicle, loading them up. I will usually give $5 in and $5 out for handling both bags.

How much do you tip?

Most courses that I play do not have bag boys but I will give 5-10 bucks depending on how nice the course is and what bills I have in my wallet.

At public courses there are very many folks who have a strict golf budget. And due to finances cant even play as often as they would like and every dollar does count.
My self I happen to be a generous tipper whenever appropriate. That said I don't need nor want anyone handling my bag simply because I think its silly and unnecessary. I don't go to a course to be catered to but simply just to play golf. And while Im doing ok (at this point in my life) for my golf budget I do still need to keep things financially reasonable. Part of the reason I walk is because every two rounds without cart adds to another greens fee for a round.

When I have been to course that used them I just tipped $5-10 they are just trying to make some buck for the summer and most did a good job cleaning the clubs up also.

I wouldn’t want someone getting clubs out of my car for fear they might scratch the paint. If someone is going to scratch the paint, it will be me.

I am same way way if I am pulling up to a hotel and a bellman tries to get suitcase or bags out of trunk. I’ll get it, thanks.

i do tip $3 or $4 if I am buying a beer or two from cart girls though.

I really don’t have a set amount for anything but I am very generous. About the only thing I’m pretty consistent with is the attendant that cleans my clubs after a round gets a $5. Other than that, I always tip $100+ for my forecaddie at Shadow Creek. It makes my host happy since I take care of the staff, so I never have an issue playing there.

If they are doing the little things like that I'll give them $10 or so. depending on how much cash I have on hand.

If they actually wash my clubs and do a good job I will give them a little more. Mostly they just want to load them in your truck or trunk.

Most course around my area don't have it but when I go to nicer courses it's been 5 to 10 bucks. Depends what they all do as well. Some don't even clean the clubs and some do.

I like to tip the grounds keepers and lawn mower guys,,, they are usually the ones who are struggling $$$.

Usually 2 bucks a drink, and a couple bucks to the cart kid at the end of the round. Usually decline the club wash option if it exists.

Have never had a caddie, so unsure of what to tip in a case like that.

I tip the kids acting as a starter/ranger. Nice to see teenagers working since it seems to be rare these days. I usually have to re-do the strap because they never feed the thing through the C-130 cart strap holes but if they are attempting to do a good job I'll throw them some extra. I clean my clubs after every shot so I tell them don't worry about the cleaning with the dirty gross rag they have as I hand them the cash.

I give the cart girl a couple bucks for just driving around out there. I usually don't buy anything but on weekdays she passes by several times because its slow. I'm sure she isn't making much during those times and its nice she is there.

$5 to the kid cleaning clubs if it is under $50 for the round. $10 if the kid washes both sets of clubs and whoever I am riding with is too cheap to tip. I tip more if I am on a more expensive course.

A lot of courses I play in Vegas are staffed by old men, like 60+ yrs old. It feels really weird tipping them, and I usually deny their help loading/unloading bags, cleaning etc. Heck, when I’m fully retired, I hope I can get a job at a golf course! Or just be the local bum.

Generally speaking, I don’t like being catered to. I prefer to clean and load my own clubs/bags. So I struggle with anyone who is trying to help me, after I say “no thanks, I got it.” I feel like they are just angling for tips.

I don't tip bag boys because I hate using them, especially at my home course. The walk from the parking lot is quite short, and I don't use the bag drop.

Just doesn't seem necessary to me.

Back