Most Annoying Trait In A Fellow Golfer

DataDude

Snakebite X Fan
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
What is the most annoying thing that someone you are playing with can do? Something that just grinds your gears.

One thing that bugs the crap out of me is the person who is never ready. Maybe they have been drinking, maybe they're just slow, but they are always the last one on the tee, last one on the green, etc. They make you feel like you're waiting on them all day or that you're being rude because you're constantly finishing holes without them or taking their honors.

Usually it's someone who feels they need to coach me throughout the round. Thankfully, it's only happened once, but, if I need some pointers, I'll gladly ask.

The "nice shot" guy even though it's a big fade into the trees because he can only see 50 yds ahead

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

The turtle.

tomcat;n8888298 said:
Usually it's someone who feels they need to coach me throughout the round. Thankfully, it's only happened once, but, if I need some pointers, I'll gladly ask.

This, can't stand the "give a lesson on the course guy". If its a club pro or scratch I'm going to be receptive; anybody else is a big nope.

I’m typically pretty good at staying in my own world if me and the other player or players don’t mesh well. I guess the thing that will push me there though is either unnecessarily slow people.

The "unaware" guy, he doesn't realize when it's his turn, talks through your swing, leaves clubs on the previous hole, etc

I person who is not ready to play and when using a cart won't even walk 15 yards to their own ball.

Only one that really bugs me is the one who has to justify. Believe me, I don't care how you play. I don't need a reason after every shot. If you do, tell them to yourself.

Cell phone guy, either sits in the cart, or walks off a bit, to take that all important call. Not the guy that takes the one call to make sure all is good elsewhere, I get that, but the guy that is continually on the phone annoys the hell out of me.

I get pretty annoyed by golfers who stand unusually close to you while you are setting up over your ball your, often moving around in your peripheral vision.

Especially that guy who you know is trying to analyze your swing so he can give you unsolicited advice after you hit your ball.

greekelite;n8888299 said:
The "nice shot" guy even though it's a big fade into the trees because he can only see 50 yds ahead

This guy! You're pissed after a poor shot and he makes you feel as if he believes this is the best you can do.

probably the self absorbed guy. the guy who only speaks to you to tell you about the shot he just hit or the last round he played or anything else that you never asked him about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Slow play guy.

DataDude;n8888291 said:
What is the most annoying thing that someone you are playing with can do? Something that just grinds your gears.

One thing that bugs the crap out of me is the person who is never ready. Maybe they have been drinking, maybe they're just slow, but they are always the last one on the tee, last one on the green, etc. They make you feel like you're waiting on them all day or that you're being rude because you're constantly finishing holes without them or taking their honors.

Yesterday I played with Kevin, a 12 handicap. He has been playing for more than 20 years but on the greens he still does not have a clue where to stand. For example, when another player is putting (or chipping) Kev will inevitably be standing on the thru line behind the hole. Or he will stand behind the player just a bit to the side ,within peripheral vision.

McLovin;n8888360 said:
probably the self absorbed guy. the guy who only speaks to you to tell you about the shot he just hit or the last round he played or anything else that you never asked him about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is the guy that gets me too. Always a lot better than everyone else, just not that day....

The guy who gets super angry at himself, swearing, ranting, etc. Just awkward trying to make conversation after that.

Oh, and this has only happened once, but a guy who believed in conspiracy theories. Kept asking me about Chem trails and that earthquakes are gov't made. I had NO damn response to that.

The guy who needs anger management therapy.

Chill out, it's a game. Throwing your clubs doesn't make anyone think you're a good golfer.....or mature.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Slow players....

People who want to win at any cost, and who forget the game is supposed to be fun.

... Smoker. I play golf to commune with nature and breath fresh air. Want to smoke a cigar? Wait til the end of the round at the bar or patio. I hear many cigar smokers say they respect the course, yet I see ashes on greens and butts in the grass on a regular basis.

... Drinker would be my 2nd. I am not talking about someone having a beer each 9, but the guy that drinks and gets louder and changes their personality as the round progresses.

Unsolicited advice and/or swing tips. I usually know what broke down on any given swing. Although, playing with a customer a couple of weeks ago he noticed my left heal coming off the ground on my tee shots, which means the dreaded scramble swing has crept in. I keep my left foot (I swing righty) flat on the ground like Louis Oosthuizen, seems to keep everything in sync with no sacrifice of distance.

The guy who has no respect for the game or the course - doesn't rake the bunker after playing out of one, doesn't fix ball marks on the green, doesn't replace divots in the fairway or even splash a little sand in it.

Shows up late then complains that he can't play without a good warm up.

The guy who self-diagnosis his flaw right after each swing....except it’s totally wrong or backwards. [Hooks ball left] “Ah, cut it too much there.”

Back