Most Annoying Trait In A Fellow Golfer

the guy who won't hit if a butterfly takes off 3 holes away

OldeDude;n8888354 said:
Cell phone guy, either sits in the cart, or walks off a bit, to take that all important call. Not the guy that takes the one call to make sure all is good elsewhere, I get that, but the guy that is continually on the phone annoys the hell out of me.

Me and my buddy got put with another twosome once and one of them was on the phone arguing with his wife throughout the round. That was super annoying.

mbenro;n8888498 said:
Unsolicited advice and/or swing tips. I usually know what broke down on any given swing. Although, playing with a customer a couple of weeks ago he noticed my left heal coming off the ground on my tee shots, which means the dreaded scramble swing has crept in. I keep my left foot (I swing righty) flat on the ground like Louis Oosthuizen, seems to keep everything in sync with no sacrifice of distance.

It's a funny game...for me, lifting the heel helps keep everything in sync, while leaving it down leads to over-rotating.

As to the OP's question. The version of slow player who lines up for a shot, then turns back to the group to chat.

Sunflower seed dude or even worse...pistachio nut guy. 2 weeks ago I was paired with both. Got in a disagreement about how it wasn't cool spitting shells all over on the tee boxes. Left on the 3rd hole. :angry:

Mr. S.....l....o.....w

Doesn’t matter if he’s ‘I have to wait for the green to clear’ from 320 guy, ball sucker along waters edge, or 3 minute routine over a 2 footer for an 8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chisag;n8888444 said:
... Smoker. I play golf to commune with nature and breath fresh air. Want to smoke a cigar? Wait til the end of the round at the bar or patio. I hear many cigar smokers say they respect the course, yet I see ashes on greens and butts in the grass on a regular basis.

... Drinker would be my 2nd. I am not talking about someone having a beer each 9, but the guy that drinks and gets louder and changes their personality as the round progresses.

I just read through the thread and these 2...guilty with exception. We will never play a round together, lol. Most of the time I will smoke at least one cigar. You will never see my ashes unless hanging on the head of my smoke or see evidence of it when I am finished. And with exception to morning rounds I will usually have 3 or 4 beers/whatever during a round. Never will I change my attitude though as I am "here" to play golf and enjoy myself not get drunk. And I wouldn't stop doing either one of those things we just wouldn't play together. And if you think smoking a cigar at the outside bar or patio is polite.....just saying

Art M;n8889072 said:
I just read through the thread and these 2...guilty with exception. We will never play a round together, lol. Most of the time I will smoke at least one cigar. You will never see my ashes unless hanging on the head of my smoke or see evidence of it when I am finished. And with exception to morning rounds I will usually have 3 or 4 beers/whatever during a round. Never will I change my attitude though as I am "here" to play golf and enjoy myself not get drunk. And I wouldn't stop doing either one of those things we just wouldn't play together. And if you think smoking a cigar at the outside bar or patio is polite.....just saying

I’ll tee it up with ya Art!!!

The guy who just hit his drive 180 but is waiting on the green to clear before he tops his second from 250+

Anger issues guy.

Guy who hates fun.

I'm not a purist for rules, I am for etiquette. Used to play with a group of other doctors, one would always throw his club, smash the head against the ground, or yell profanities. Always seems to be the person with limited skills and patience. I cured him by bringing his youngest daughter with me to our Saturday group, (our daughters are close friends). He actually behaved himself, and mentioned that one of the other guys had spoken to him about this. He doesn't do it very much, anymore.
Another thing that I dislike, the guy who isn't interested in the game unless you agree to play for $.

I think it was the late newspaper columnists Mike Royko who wrote “I’m not prejudice, I despise everyone equally”. At the risk of coming across like a Richard There are times when I have no patience for anyone not in my group.

Id say its a tossup between, "good ball" guy, the guy who is never ready or the one who always wants to give you a swing tip.

The guy who really isn’t there for the golf.

I'm the anger issues guy, but I usually keep it in check when playing with new people. I'm actively working on it, because I know how annoying it can be for others.

Slow play is my biggest peeve.

I've seen this mentioned a couple of times in this thread, the person who can't stay off their cell phone.

In no particular order...

Really Angry Guy - yells and screams at himself; makes his bad shot an uncomfortable situation for everyone around him. We get it, you're frustrated. No need to take us all with you.

Yells at His Kid Guy - the dad who's out with his son or daughter and criticizes every move they make. Who wouldn't want to spend 4 hours hearing dad tell you you're not good enough?

Never Ready to Play Guy - out of position, not paying attention, goofing on his phone in the cart, etc.

I Have to Keep Your Score Too Guy:

Guy: "Yep, another par for me! Two in a row!"
Me: "Uh... so, one in the woods off the tee, two punched out into the fairway, 3 into the trap, 4 over the green, 5 on, and you two-putted... that's a 7 by my count."
Guy: "<looks like he's thinking>... oh right, yeah, that is a 7. Hey I shot an 81 here last week!" Sure you did.

Zero Discretion Guy: I played with this one at my Saturday AM scramble a few weeks back. I tend to have a low ball flight. On our first hole of the day I hit a bit of a stinger with the driver that went about 250 down the middle. The first input I got from him, my new teammate? "Good miss there." Miss? You've seen me hit ONE golf shot in your life...

I could go on but I already sound crabby, haha. These are the exceptions. More often than not the people I play with are good people and we have a good time out there. It's probably 90%/10% good vs. Richards.

Not being ready to play is an enormous pet peeve. Talking when you're supposed to be hitting or advancing is a big pet peeve.

That said, the guy who is in a bad mood and angry about golf might be my least favorite person. Not leaving my family for five hours to watch someone through a tantrum.

The guy that walks back to their cart from the green and has 4 clubs he needs to place back in their proper spot in the bag, then sometimes has to reorganize the other clubs since he put them in the wrong spot earlier in the round, then gets in the cart and writes down the scores before driving off. Rather that time be spent once we get to the next tee box and have a minute or two to take care of all that. Doesn't add up to much time, but 10-15 seconds each hole can add up, when if done at the tee box, doesn't waste time at all. I'm more aware of that when I bring clubs back and just hold them all until we get to the tee box, but also have a GPS watch so I'm not as focused about the score, but I'll ask my partner for theirs as we drive if I can't remember it.

I play with a semi "Anger Issue Guy" He's had a few real blowups over the years- slam the ground, cursing himself out and the like. But one day he flubbed and chili dipped 3 straight chips. He helicoptered his wedge, but didn't pay attention to where I was and nearly took my head off. I gave him "the look", walked over to the cart, unstrapped my bag and walked back in. Later on, after he was all pissed at me for leaving like it was MY fault, I said "you aren't good enough to get that angry over a missed shot, ever. And if you keep doing it, we will never play together again". This got to him because he will NOT go out on his own as a single- he only plays when we (regular 3 guys) play every few weeks, whereas I will play almost every week.
He still gets worked up because might hit a decent drive(for him), good(for him) second, chunk a chip from the fringe(after I tell him to ALWAYS use a putter from there), then 4 putt. But his "episodes" aren't as dangerous to others these days, just a lot of cursing and muttering under his breath and the occasional thump on the ground with his club.

Story Time On The Tee Box Guy.

This guy is on the tee box and a foursome is waiting behind us, but he needs to take 5 minutes to recreate the glory days or whatever.

I’m happy to hear it, just wait until we’re walking to go find my slice in the woods.

The smoker that drops his cigarette/cigar butts on the ground. I have been in a few arguments with players over that.
I don't practice my sand wedge and take divots out of your living room carpet, so don't toss your butts on my golf course ! :angry:

I golf with a 21 year old hacker (daughter’s boyfriend). I’m closing in on 50. If I make a good shot, his response is, “atta boy!” Upon hearing this, I want to take my 7 iron and create an outline of his head with it.

Back