Do you let Players Play Through?

Golfin

Reaction score
Handicap
7.3 @Grint
I have been playing golf for close to 20 years. I primarily play with my dad, who gave me the golf bug by dragging me to the range at age 28. As a two-some, we generally get around a course in good time while still enjoying ourselves without rushing. We tend to play during the week, which doesn't affect as many groups as it would if we played on the weekend.

However a recent round got me thinking. Is it wrong if a faster-playing two-some asks to play ahead of a slower two-some? This was the situation:

Between holes 1-5 we past a 4-some (2 males with 2 kids) who allowed us to play through. We didn't push them, but happened to meet them on the tee at hole 2 and they had not teed-off. By hole 6, we had a 2-some in front of us, and as far as we could see, no other group in front of them. The hole ahead was open. We noticed they were sharing something (We assumed a joint), and the older gentleman was taking two and 3 swings off the tee (His coordination looked off) between holes 7 and 9.

On the tee at hole 9, we literally watched the older gentleman swing 3 times ( 2 pop ups and 1 WAY right, about 20 yards each) when my dad walked to the tee, citing their lack of etiquette and performance and hit away (I kept saying, dad, don't do it. Stop!). It led to name-calling from the younger/older guy and made me feel very awkward. My dad plays white tees and the guys were playing the blue tees. I also played the blue tees and now had to make a decision. Do i accept my dad's decision to force his way onto the tee and deal with the possible ramifications from the two-some? I made my way to the tee. The first thing I did was apologize for his behaviour. I didn't think what he did was right (And i told him so when we walked to our tee shots). The younger guy appreciated my take on the situation and let me tee off. I had a stern conversation with my dad on the 10th tee, citing no less the possible physical confrontation it may have led to or worse, a police record of a physical record.

It got me thinking. Playing through can be a sensitive situation. How do you handle it, and does it matter if you are a 2-some or 4-some whether you let others play through?

The loaded two some were straight up clueless buttheads. But your dad was too. However there have been many times I wanted to do what your Dad did. He’s me new hero.

I’m a big proponent of letting anyone play through if there are holes open. I am a fast player but there are still faster and it will make everyone’s round more enjoyable letting them play through.

If someone is on my groups tail AND there’s open holes in front, 100% yes every time.

if I’m waiting on a group I’ll give them a few holes to recognize the back up. Unlike your dad, I will pull up on the group and just ask if we can play through. As long as your nice, I’ve personally never had someone tell me no. (Doesn’t mean I didn’t hear mumbling or get a stare).

zbeekner4;n8888861 said:
I’ve personally never had someone tell me no. (Doesn’t mean I didn’t hear mumbling or get a stare).
Unfortunately I have and it’s taken all my will power to not grab my driver and shove it their butt hole sideways.

I don't think I would have done what your dad did, I would have asked if we could play thru.

I'll usually always let people play through if it makes sense. I always get peeved at the group that wants to play through only to realize that you're waiting on a group in front of you.

I really loathed what my dad did. I respect the game, the rules and the game etiquette. But I wanted to share with all honesty what happened and my genuine question about playing through. Thank you for the responses so far.

When I play as a single, I have had people waive me through enthusiastically, waive me through begrudgingly, and some who would not let me through at all. In the case when they do not let me through, i just chip and putt with extra practice until the round is over. I have a personality that simply doesn't allow me to be an asshole. I wish sometimes i could be. But in the end, I simply enjoy the time I have on the course.

Snickerdog;n8888870 said:
I don't think I would have done what your dad did, I would have asked if we could play thru.
I agree with you. I just can't do it in good conscience. It's an asshole thing to do, if I'm being honest. I would have preferred him to ask, but in the least simply let the two-some recognize they are holding people up and allow the common sense to shine through.

If it's open in front of my group, I'm happy to let someone play through. If it's packed, I try not to think about the person or group behind us, as long as we're keeping the pace. If they catch up to us somewhere, I'll tell them that there's no place to go and they're almost always understanding.

I was playing with two guys today who didn’t understand the speed of the game. They kept hitting multiple shots as people were waiting. I tried to get them to speed up, but they were just not getting it. I left them and played at my pace to a wide open course. I told them they should let the groups play through but I am pretty sure that didn’t happen because no one was in sight after I left. Not sure why people don’t let others through and I wonder why courses don’t push that issue. There were 4 groups all bunched up because of these guys and it was only on the 6th hole.

Danimal;n8888885 said:
I was playing with two guys today who didn’t understand the speed of the game. They kept hitting multiple shots as people were waiting. I tried to get them to speed up, but they were just not getting it. I left them and played at my pace to a wide open course. I told them they should let the groups play through but I am pretty sure that didn’t happen because no one was in sight after I left. Not sure why people don’t let others through and I wonder why courses don’t push that issue. There were 4 groups all bunched up because of these guys and it was only on the 6th hole.

This is a valid point. So yesterday, my dad and I were paired with a two-some. I should mention we are not a member at local courses, but play several courses within 30 minutes drive.

3 of us played from the Blue tees (6200+ yards) and my dad played from the whites. The two-some (Justin & Colin) were beginners, and we had to constantly remind the two-some we had people behind us and be mindful of the pace. We managed to play in 3 hours and 40 minutes, but my fear is if left to their own devices, the two-some would have been much slower. We took it upon ourselve to share etiquette tips and experience to help them understand expectations. They really should have played from the White tees but I wasn't going to mention that to them. lol

Golfin;n8888880 said:
I agree with you. I just can't do it in good conscience. It's an asshole thing to do, if I'm being honest. I would have preferred him to ask, but in the least simply let the two-some recognize they are holding people up and allow the common sense to shine through.

I get what you are saying, but those two where clueless about what was going on and you would have been stuck behind them. Your one option would have been to skip and hole and get out ahead that way.

I let people play through if I know they're capable of it. If I'm in a group, I'll ask the group their thoughts on it. Two rounds ago I let a guy and his dad play through. I was a single and just getting some practise in on 9 holes. They were in a cart and wanted to finish another 9 before the sun went down so I had no issues with that. (Completely tangential to the story, as I waved them onto the green, the dad's approach shot sailed wide and was headed long but smacked into my bag and onto fringe. Good laugh until I realised the off chance he would have hit my phone. It was safe :)

Last round, just yesterday, we let a twosome pass us. Typical fare, we knew they were capable as we saw their drives from previous holes. We hit our tee shots on the next par 3 and waited for them.

wubears71;n8888867 said:
Unfortunately I have and it’s taken all my will power to not grab my driver and shove it their butt hole sideways.
hahahahahaha....Oh man did this make me laugh.....a lot. :laughing:

wubears71;n8888867 said:

LOL...I wish I had your confidence and willingness! lol

If there is a hole or more open in front, let the group behind play though, it's as simple as that.

I've read some posts (not this forum alone) that singles, on weekends, should not expect to be waived through. I ask, in all honesty, why that is a position someone would take? I understand you have a tee time that dictates your time advantage, but if a single rolls up and is waiting, why not let them through if you are slower than them? Just asking. :)

If I was playing in a group that was slow and there was open space in front of us I absolutely would let others play through. Most of the time I tee off as a single since most people don’t like to play in the heat of the day. I play very fast and when I do come up on another group they usually let me through. I have had instances where I have skipped a few holes to get out in front of slow play and I will just play them after I finish the 18th. I live in a golf course community and have my own cart so it’s no problem with me playing the skipper holes before I head to the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

aggiesam1983;n8888973 said:
If I was playing in a group that was slow and there was open space in front of us I absolutely would let others play through. Most of the time I tee off as a single since most people don’t like to play in the heat of the day. I play very fast and when I do come up on another group they usually let me through. I have had instances where I have skipped a few holes to get out in front of slow play and I will just play them after I finish the 18th. I live in a golf course community and have my own cart so it’s no problem with me playing the skipper holes before I head to the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That is a good point. I do not belong to a golf club via membership. Nor, do I have my own golf cart to zip around the property. I play on public courses, and i think slow play means more because of the cost to the player. If, for example, I was a member at a club I would not hesitate to skip holes. But as a pay per play player using Arccos, I like t make sure I play for what i pay for. Make sense?

More then happy to let people through. I can't remember the last time I let the same sized group through but I play fast so never have that issue.

As far as forcing the way through I have before, when the slow group is way slow like 100 yards away. My force through style is hit ball to different fairway then hit back to the correct green before they know what happened. Normally I would just skip a hole if they don't let me play through.

Sounds like your father and I are related………..buy him a beer from me.

When it comes to playing through, you should always ask. Usually, if the course isnt backed up, most people will let you through. If you dont ask though, youre asking for trouble.

Golfin;n8888970 said:
I've read some posts (not this forum alone) that singles, on weekends, should not expect to be waived through. I ask, in all honesty, why that is a position someone would take? I understand you have a tee time that dictates your time advantage, but if a single rolls up and is waiting, why not let them through if you are slower than them? Just asking. :)

Ok. so the 4 some lets a single play through, no big deal, only costs them a few minutes of their round. 2 holes later here comes another single, another few minutes. 3 holes later another.....with 4 holes to go a 3 some catches up who would've never caught the 4 some had they not let multiple singles play through.... see how singles can unintentionally create chaos?

I used to play at a private club. We had a big group go off every day at 11am. 4 or 5 foursomes of really fast players. It was an easy course to play so we were done in 3;15...or 3;30 every day. There was this one guy that would show up every day and play alone about 30-60 minutes after we teed off. Never wanted to join our group, never had anyone playing with him. They let him play through a few times, until after awhile they realized this one guy was making 25-30 guys wait while he enjoyed the solitude of his individual round. Then they started to enforce the "singles have no status" club rule. The single got tired of waiting and changed his playing time.

As far as your dad goes, yeah he should've asked but he shouldn't have had to ask. I would've asked and if denied just drove to the next tee...or settled it there...

wubears71;n8888867 said:

Finally, a punishment that fits the crime.

Leftyuk;n8889021 said:
Sounds like your father and I are related………..buy him a beer from me.

LOL. Will do sir. :)

Back