Do you let Players Play Through?

I have usually played as a single. I don't expect to be allowed to play through. When a group says that I can, I will do so. I usually play that hole too fast and become Sir Shanks-a-lot.

Badger_Golfer;n8889077 said:
When it comes to playing through, you should always ask. Usually, if the course isnt backed up, most people will let you through. If you dont ask though, youre asking for trouble.

I bolded the part that I had an issue with my dad being so impatient. You just never know these days who will take it to the next level, physically. So it was a huge risk he took, and of course I have his back 100% and would have been there before anything could have happened. But why did we even need to have it get to that level? My dad understood once we were a few holes in front and I shared my opinion. He gets impatient at times and just wanted to keep going, not be held back by the guys in front. I'm just glad the situation did not escalate further. I enjoy playing golf and not engaging in combat golf. :)

If there is room in front of me, I let a faster group behind me through regardless of # of people in either group. If I'm faster than the group in front of me, and there is open room, I expect to be let through regardless of # of players in either group.

Everyone in the above story was wrong but you. The guys in front were jerks, your dad responded inappropriately but understandably.

Fortunately, the vast majority of golfers around here do pay attention and let faster groups through when it makes sense. Most of the time the slower groups offer, sometimes we've had to ask in a friendly way. If courses with limited looks at holes up ahead are backed up the group immediately ahead usually lets us know unsolicited or tells us when we ask to go through. Never caused an issue either way but then again I'm not one to be overly sensitive to what I assume someone else may (or may not) be thinking from how they look at me. It all works just the same, faster groups play through, if I'm in the slower group.

You were correct to explain to your dad why he took it too far in that instance. Probably not an easy thing for a son to do either. Well done, hopefully it prevents a bad experience in the future.

I've told someone no before. It was 2 guys that came up on 4 of us sitting at the 4th tee. Unlike brianmk24's experiences, these two did not like hearing that there was nowhere to go. Or seeing it, as it was plain as day to point out since you could see every group for the next few holes. I'm really curious now if this particular idiot was channeling his inner wubears71 and wanted to shove a driver up my *ass sideways. Would have loved it if he had tried. Snatching said driver and giving him a couple club face tattoos is something I really would have enjoyed in that moment.

It's really rare that someone moves faster than me on the course, but I let people play through if they are. Mostly happens with my wife, because she's new to the game. She mostly plays at our member course though, so if it's bunched up at all we just bounce around the course to stay out of people's way.

Golfin;n8888970 said:
I've read some posts (not this forum alone) that singles, on weekends, should not expect to be waived through. I ask, in all honesty, why that is a position someone would take? I understand you have a tee time that dictates your time advantage, but if a single rolls up and is waiting, why not let them through if you are slower than them? Just asking. :)

Does not matter if behind you is a single, twosome, threesome or foursome. If there is a hole or more open in front, let the group behind play though, it's as simple as that.

... I can remember 2 times a slow group refused to let us play thru. About a month ago we were a twosome playing behind a 4some from Vegas and they slowly allowed the group in front of them to leave a 2 hole gap. We waited patiently on every tee and when the ranger showed up on 12 with a 3 some approaching the tee behind us, he said he would ask the guys to let us play thru on the next tee. They said No! I was shocked and in 30 years of paying this game can't remember a group with open holes in front refusing to let faster players through. The ranger said they were just on time for pace of play so he could not insist they let us play. My pard quit and I just skipped the next hole and walked ahead of them (they were in carts). They gave me the finger as I passed them. Classy guys.

... Maybe 15 years ago we played behind an insanely slow 2some and after 6 holes we asked them to let us play through as 2 holes were now open even though they played behind a 4some and were still 2 holes behind. The older "gentleman" refused. My pard said "F*ck you old man, we are going through your slow a$$" and teed up ready to hit. This guy was close to 80 and he said "lets throw down m*ther f*cker" to my pard that was 50 and an ex hockey player and he was actually gonna do it before I pulled him away. I told the old guy we would be out of his way quickly and it would be better than my pard hitting into them (something he would not do but would fight the guy about it ... sigh) We teed off and those two continued to shout insults at each other but we never saw them again after that hole. Fwiw, we talked abut it earlier this year and my pard said he was going thru some personal problems at that time and was in a bad place mentally and didn't even remember this incident.

... If there are open holes in front of us, I always let faster players through regardless of how many.

Chisag;n8889234 said:
... . The ranger said they were just on time for pace of play so he could not insist they let us play.

Sadly, in recent years too many courses have adopted this absurd "pace of play policy" , be it 4 hours, 4:15, 4:30 , whatever. This gives the pro shop staff and, or, course marshalls an easy way to avoid dealing with a problem.
Traditional policy has always been that if a hole is open ahead, the offending group must allow groups behind to play thru. This worked well for decades.

Last edited:
Golfin;n8889156 said:
I bolded the part that I had an issue with my dad being so impatient. You just never know these days who will take it to the next level, physically. So it was a huge risk he took, and of course I have his back 100% and would have been there before anything could have happened. But why did we even need to have it get to that level? My dad understood once we were a few holes in front and I shared my opinion. He gets impatient at times and just wanted to keep going, not be held back by the guys in front. I'm just glad the situation did not escalate further. I enjoy playing golf and not engaging in combat golf. :)

Agree. Its not just a physical altercation either. Nowdays you never know who is packing. It would be nothing for someone to put a handgun in your bag and no one would ever know it was there.
I agree that its just not worth it over golf. Theres plenty of things in this life that are worth fighting for but who tees off first on a hole? Not worth it to me.
Ive honestly never had an instance where I was waiting on someone where they didnt offer to let me play through because most people dont like feeling pressured by people waiting on them.

DG_1234;n8889185 said:
Does not matter if behind you is a single, twosome, threesome or foursome. If there is a hole or more open in front, let the group behind play though, it's as simple as that.

I can agree with this for sure. In fact, when I am in a 4-some and we are slower than usual and a group behind us is faster, I have always supported letting them play through. In my neck of the woods, it's rare to have bunch-ups occur on the course. Our town's population is 34,000 and we have about 25 courses within a 30 minute drive away. I should mention on the particular course we were playing, they do not have a starter and do not have a course ranger roaming the course. It's generally accepted golfers police themselves. In the 20+ years my dad and I have been playing, this is the absolute first time we encountered the lack of etiquette due to slow play. And of course pops doing what he did, which was also flat-out wrong to do. Either way, some really good posts and opinions guys and appreciate the responses!

Golfin;n8889564 said:
. In the 20+ years my dad and I have been playing, this is the absolute first time we encountered the lack of etiquette due to slow play. And of course pops doing what he did, which was also flat-out wrong to do. Either way, some really good posts and opinions guys and appreciate the responses!

Did you give the group ahead ample time to become aware that you were behind them while there were holes open ahead? If so, your dad's behavior was not wrong.
Remember, players on the courses have an obligation to know the game, including the etiquette of allowing faster groups to play thru.

Rule #1

I listened to a guy teach his kids one time to never let singles play through, because they have no right to be out there and therefore have no priority.

There’s an interesting take.

Bucketsofjoy;n8889751 said:
Rule #1

I listened to a guy teach his kids one time to never let singles play through, because they have no right to be out there and therefore have no priority.

USGA rule book used to define a group as 2 or more up until early 2000's. That is where that came from. I had one guy to say that and decided not to take me up on my offer that I will buy him a round of golf when he shows me that in a current rule book but he pays my bar tab when he is wrong.

DG_1234;n8889735 said:
Did you give the group ahead ample time to become aware that you were behind them while there were holes open ahead? If so, your dad's behavior was not wrong.
Remember, players on the courses have an obligation to know the game, including the etiquette of allowing faster groups to play thru.

We caught up to them on the 6th hole, and while we were in the fairway waiting to hit, they hit a bunch of putts on the green. It have simply been a surprise to them to see us in the fairway, as we just caught up to them. Between the 6th and 7th holes, there is a long way between the tees. A good 150 yards or so, and we have to cross over a road to get there. They had a cart, and we were walking. When we came around the turn to the 7th tee, they were still sitting in their cart, and no one was in the fairway. It was a dog-leg left par 5, so it could be possible the group in front had just gone around the corner of the dog leg as we arrived. They saw us, quickly made their way to the tee and hit their tee shots. One of the guys said "It sure is hot today" and my dad and I both responded with "It sure is". It appeared they were sharing a cigarette, cigar or joint. I couldn't make it out.

When we got to the 8th tee, they were just teeing off, and no one was on the green (the 8th green is visible from the tee). One of them must have put their ball in the pond down the left side of the fairway, but they spent maybe 2-3 minutes looking for balls. They knew we were there, for sure. By the 9th tee, again no one to be seen on the 9th green and it is another 100 yards between the 8th and 9th holes, crossing over another road to get to the 9th tee. The older guy literally hit one, then two tee shots, popping them up both times. As he went to tee up a 3rd, my dad had enough and is when he 'took' the tee. As he walked towards the tee, i kept asking him to show patience and not to do it. He simply walked up to the tee, told the guys they were not showing any etiquette and was hitting away. The younger guy called him names and honestly as i walked back to hit from the blue tees that they were playing, i was on high alert something may go down. I apologized to them and said it's just a game and not worth getting into physical battles over it. That seemed to help calm things a bit, with the younger saying at least you are a nice guy. I just hit and thanked them. We didn't see them again the rest of the day on the back nine.

So i believe we did show patience and they clearly knew we were there and I would say they didn't care? But i agree with you, each player has a responsibility to know the game and all of the rules, including etiquette. I appreciate your question, it is a good one and hope I provided further context. :)

Golfin;n8889792 said:
. He simply walked up to the tee, told the guys they were not showing any etiquette and was hitting away.

Your dad did nothing wrong and he handled the situation just fine.

Bucketsofjoy;n8889751 said:
Rule #1

It is an interesting take. Look, i believe we are a product of our environment growing up. So if a child is raised to think that way, it's likely they carry that forward, unless they choose to make their own decisions about it when they choose to learn more than simply accepting what is given. That said, i can only control myself. For example, when I walk onto a green, i will fix as many pitch marks I see because to me, it is the right thing to do. But if i play with someone I don't know, and they don't do any pitch mark fixes, then so be it. That's their choice and I won't get bent out of shape about it.

Which is why I was willing to be patient and not take the tee from those guys. And I have played a full 9 holes behind a foursome earlier this year, playing music drinking beer and having fun and I was playing as a single. It was a beautiful night, around 6pm and I worked on my chipping and putting and played 2 balls on each hole. I accepted this fact after the first 4 holes I showed up on the tee box, and they knew I was there and simply did their thing. I could have asked to play through, but chose to enjoy my night instead of speeding around. If i let it affect me, get me upset then I won't enjoy my time on the course. I spend all of my time off the course thinking about the next time I will be on it, so I want to enjoy my time and not get upset about it. You know?

DG_1234;n8889799 said:
Your dad did nothing wrong and he handled the situation just fine.

Thanks man. I appreciate your thoughts and thank you.

Back