Are you ever unsatisfied with a good round?

giorgiokaan

Reaction score
Handicap
As per the title, I played the same course 2 weeks in a row. Last week I felt like I was on fire, I was hitting some absolute pinseekers and my drives were long and in the fairway. This week, I played very well however my shots weren't as good into greens and I missed some fairways where I was bombing it last week. Overall the scores were similar (74 and 75 on a par 69) but the round with more highlights (3 birdies) and more screw-ups felt better simply because of those highlights, rather than the more consistent golf I played this week.

always. i think it’s healthy to analyze mistakes and try to improve, even if the round as a whole was acceptable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't think unsatisfied but maybe a bit disappointed. Usually it is small simple mistakes that make a good round from becoming a great round.

I had two birdies in 9 holes at league. I also got three OB on a par 4 and took a nine on that hole.

Shot a 44, so three over par for eight holes, then the hole from hell. Not very satisfying, despite being a good score for me.

The only thing that made it less sucky was I birdied the hole after I put up the 9.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Yep. I’ve been grinding all round and feel like I played terrible, yet my score was pretty good. It’s odd shooting well and being disappointed.

The other day, i had a personal best 6 birdies and shot a +2 74. I was unsatisfied but just for the dumb mistakes on the rest of the holes. I 3-putted once and had a poor club selection on a few others. I should’ve had my first sub-par round.

Sure, last year I missed 13 out of 14 fairways and all 4 greens on par 3’s. Finished with an 81. Way better than recent play would suggest. Plenty of GIR’s though and scrambling/putting were right there.
I couldn’t help but think- “what if I had found the middle... even if I hit 8 of them”.
Other times I might hit 12 of 14 and shoot 87 when irons go off on vacation. ‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes, I am very unsatisfied with a round where I shoot a good score. Yesterday, I was 2 under on the front and 5 over on the back, with 3 double bogies. The back 9 was very unsatisfying, but I still had fun, if that makes sense.

Never. If I played a good round, relative to my skill set, and the score was terrible, I’m still happy with how I played. If I shoot a good score, and played terribly, I’m happy that I shot a good score.

Be it a shot, a hole, or a round, there’’s always, always, something good to focus on and enjoy.

Of course. I get over it pretty quickly if the score is fair, but a par grind where it doesn't seem like I can buy a birdie, or a 6 birdie 6 bogey round can be equally frustrating in the moment.

Always. There’s always somewhere that I know I left a couple shots out there or managed the course poorly.

Yeah, after I have a good round I recall shots missed more than shots made. I know that’s not the best tude, I’m working on it.

Yes, just yesterday as a matter of fact.

+3 during a club event yet I couldn't hit irons consistently at all. Only hit one par 3 green in regulation for example and happened to birdie that hole.

Putter was working, driver was working. Save for irons, it had the feel of perhaps a special opportunity.

Jman;n8889219 said:
Always. There’s always somewhere that I know I left a couple shots out there or managed the course poorly.

And that's why golf is the craziest game. I hate it and yet love it and think of it every day. Even a great round is unsatisfying at times.

Hard to be satisfied when you were one Tin Cup hole away from your best nine ever.....
b24c413abde9ab82501823e89b77666c.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

absolutely can feel not all that good after a lower round and fwiw can feel pretty good about one in which wasnt as low.
Imo its the same as hitting a poorly executed shot that ends up pretty well in good shape. Yea, you take the good result but honestly it doesnt feel all that good cause you know you failed to execute the way you planned. Funny but when my ball striking gets so bad......there are times where just striking the ball pure (even if way off target) can feel good. I sometimes joke after very poor ball striking and say .."I dont care if that goes in water, it just felt good to strike a ball solidly for a change". Some of my lowest rounds haven't had all that many great shots but simply just no or very few bad, costly, or penal ones.

I guess I have been once or twice haha.

I don't break 80 that often although that is my goal now when I go out. One day, i shot a 79 for the first time a certain course which is a pretty good test. Well I wasn't too happy because I looked at my card and I couldn't believe how bad I messed up a few holes. I was upset/unsatisfied because I had 3 birdies and an eagle with less than 32 putts.... so ya a little disappointing although it was a good round for my skill level

Yes. In fact I think I'm more likely to be unsatisfied with good round than a bad round. With a good round - sometimes I leave 1 or 2 shots out there that I wish I could take back and play differently and the good score I posted almost magnifies it.

It defies logic, but that's the game of golf sometimes.

Nappy;n8891573 said:
Yes. In fact I think I'm more likely to be unsatisfied with good round than a bad round. With a good round - sometimes I leave 1 or 2 shots out there that I wish I could take back and play differently and the good score I posted almost magnifies it.

It defies logic, but that's the game of golf sometimes.

My feeling exactly. In this crazy game we all love there seems to be this weird satisfaction mechanism where we criticize ourselves more for good rounds and write off bad ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always walk off thinking about the shots I gave back to the course. Even my rounds which I shot PB rounds, I thought about when I missed a shot or a putt. Just the nature of the beast. It's not that I am unsatisfied with the round, it's just that I know there is always better.

YES, and I have a thread on here about it. I can score well, but execute poorly and the poor execution bothers me to no end.

It's golf, it can always be better, I think it depends on how the rounds went leading up to the "good" round. I had a "good" round today, but could have been great if I had putted better

[h=1]"Are you ever unsatisfied with a good round?"[/h]
Sure, when my albatross of a partner keeps us from winning any money but my handicap index still goes down a full stroke because I shot a great score. Very unsatisfying.

Surprisingly, when I'm the dead weight my partner has to drag around I don't really feel nearly as unsatisfied. Strange ;-)

Yeah there’s always shots left out there that make you think “of only I had....”

Thsts one of the best things about golf though, it can never be mastered. The only way to master it would be to hit every FW, every GIR, and one putt every hole. No one will ever do that.

Yes, I can always look at ways to improve, but if a round's score is a direct result of things I have been working on, then yes, very happy indeed.

Back