Best Score in a Scramble

YukonLiving

Team Hackers
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Ive been playing in a few year end tournaments and fundraisers lately and have seen a large discrepancy in the scores being reported. Most winning teams seem to be in and around -8 to -10.

I was was talking with someone who mentioned that they’d seen a team submit for -21!

It it got me wondering - what’s the best score you’ve seen or submitted when playing 4-person scramble?

58 (-14) is the best I have been part of. We won by a shot. I have seen scores in the low 50's posted before.

Low 50s is the lowest I've seen submitted, but I don't believe it.

The lowest winning score I’ve heard of at an outing was -21, believing is another story. The lowest I’ve been a part of is -17 with gimmicks (mulligans, yard sticks, etc). Without the gimmicks the lowest we’ve posted is -13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played a tournament where multiple groups posted in the 40's. So dumb. There was no string or other gimmicks but even if you birdie every par 3/4 and eagle every par 5 you are submitting a 50. Just makes me wonder if winning a charity scramble means that much that you can bring integrity issues into it.

Lowest I’ve turned in was -15, lowest I’ve witnessed was this past weekend at -21. These were 3 man scrambles with each player having 1 mulligan. Putts inside a putter length were conceded.

This -21 was just other worldly. Most of the work was done by the 2 better players. They were just studs. I heard people after the round groaning (they’d won by 5 shots) but I promise it was absolutely legit. (Or as legit as a scramble can be, you understand). 1 par, 13 birds, and 4 eagles.

54 in a 4 man and 56 in a 3 man are my best. No strings mulligans

Years ago, when my brother and uncle could hit the long ball, our team posted a -16.

We had the perfect setup. Two long hitters. One person who was really good at putting. I am usually decent at chipping.

I play well in full scrambles with having one or more teammates to pull me out of trouble when I hit the shanked shot.

Trmpt98;n8889723 said:
The lowest winning score I’ve heard of at an outing was -21, believing is another story. The lowest I’ve been a part of is -17 with gimmicks (mulligans, yard sticks, etc). Without the gimmicks the lowest we’ve posted is -13.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Right - the gimmicks can greatly change score! So assuming none of these, best I’ve been part of was -8. Funny enough, with gimmicks we were -5! I think teeing off with a tennis racket might have played a part in that though.

I played a 4 man scramble at PGA National on the Haig course in 1983 with a +2 player, a scratch player, a 2 handicap and me at 7 hdcp (the D player). 15 Birds and 3 eagles. 21 under par, carded a 51. I teed off first and putted first on every hole, then the 2 hdcp, then the scratch and if necessary, the +2. We had a blast! and it was absolutely done by the book.
Absolutely legit! no mulligans, every putt holed, no one club length crap for a better lie, no rolling the ball .... it can be done guys. We won that scramble by 3 strokes.

Just so you know how good the +2 player was.... in the same timeframe, I played a round with him at Eastpointe a Tom Fazio course and witnessed him scoring a 64, Out in 29, In in 35 with only 21 putts for the round. These guys were incredible golfers I played with and sort of typical of the golf talent in south Florida.

M2Giles;n8889765 said:
Played a tournament where multiple groups posted in the 40's. So dumb. There was no string or other gimmicks but even if you birdie every par 3/4 and eagle every par 5 you are submitting a 50. Just makes me wonder if winning a charity scramble means that much that you can bring integrity issues into it.

Must have been some fantastic golfers. How long was the course?

fuffle master;n8889813 said:
We had the perfect setup. Two long hitters. One person who was really good at putting. I am usually decent at chipping.

I think team setup is often overlooked! There is some strategy involved... but that depends on why you’re playing. Is it a charity event or...?

Playing in one tomorrow. I would expect our team to shoot in the -15 to -17 range, which will put us in the top 3 but by no means guarantee a win.

The best I’ve ever been a part of is -19. That was birdie on every hole and 1 eagle. From my experience it all comes down to putting. I play on many stacked teams and we are always up in regulation and majority of the time up in 2 on par 5s. The difference in winning and top 5 is how many 10-15 foot putts we can roll in.

Brassie;n8889817 said:
I played a 4 man scramble at PGA National on the Haig course in 1983 with a +2 player, a scratch player, a 2 handicap and me at 7 hdcp (the D player). 15 Birds and 3 eagles. 21 under par, carded a 51. I teed off first and putted first on every hole, then the 2 hdcp, then the scratch and if necessary, the +2. We had a blast! and it was absolutely done by the book.
Absolutely legit! no mulligans, every putt holed, no one club length crap for a better lie, no rolling the ball .... it can be done guys. We won that scramble by 3 strokes.

Just so you know how good the +2 player was.... in the same timeframe, I played a round with him at Eastpointe a Tom Fazio course and witnessed him scoring a 64, Out in 29, In in 35 with only 21 putts for the round. These guys were incredible golfers I played with and sort of typical of the golf talent in south Florida.

Sounds like an incredible round!

And if golfers like this are posting these scores and admitting how fantastic it was, does that bring to question submissions from the “once-a-month” guys?

Where were these gimmicks 20 years ago? In my area they didn't exist. Now you can buy mulligans, have set gimmies, etc.
Back then a good team on a tough course would post -8 to -10 at best. Now scores are ridiculous.
You can buy mulligans. I see teams just minus all their mulligans off the score card instead of actually doing the shot over.
Any more scrambles are pretty much good for one thing- "free" beer

We played in a scramble this weekend. Shot -16 with 5 strokes (10% of our cap) making it -21.

In our group was a 21, a 16, a 6, and a +3 handicap.

Best score for a 4 person scramble that I played in was -9 with Plin choppstixxx and the wife.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've been part of a group that shot a legit -19. Was pretty fun to be a part of as we all stepped up and hit shots when needed and had two guys that had the potential to drive the green on the one hole we eagled (one of them did). I've seen lower, but I've also seen people taking way more strokes than what they turned in. heh

mski;n8889846 said:
I see teams just minus all their mulligans off the score card instead of actually doing the shot over.

Incredible! I’ve never heard of that before... kind of taking away from the spirit and intent of the thing at that point.

Canadan;n8889849 said:
We played in a scramble this weekend. Shot -16 with 5 strokes (10% of our cap) making it -21.

In our group was a 21, a 16, a 6, and a +3 handicap.

That’s a good mix of skill. Any requirement to use at least one shot from everyone?

I've played with a group that posted a legitimate -10, with no mulligans, string, or any other gimmicks. None of us had a handicap below about 15. I've heard people claim scores as low as -21.

ddec, Nerfny, Alyssa and I shot 58 (-14) in a scramble a few weeks ago and lost by 1 for the second year in a row. We don’t think there is any way in the world the team that was -15 actually shot that number.

Next year we’re going to shoot -16 (and probably still lose).

I have seen -21, -20 in a four man with nothing for gimmicks and I have seen charity scrabbles where a team posts that kind of score and were so trashed they had trouble going up to get their prize. On the other side, i have seen -15 win and all the teams donated their prizes back to the FUND to make a donation in the name of the tournament honoree....

YukonLiving;n8889818 said:
Must have been some fantastic golfers. How long was the course?

Course was on the shorter side at 6200ish yards. But none of the par 4s were under 315 except for some hard dogleg.

It's more that it meant they had multiple fairway hole outs. 46 on a par 72 is at minimum 8 birdies and 8 eagles. And 5 teams posted between 44 and 48. And then the rest of the teams were at the more likely suspects of between 54+. I know my team didn't play that great and posted a 61 but the team in front of us sure didnt post a 54 as we watched them struggle to get off every tee. The only thing I could think of is they gave themselves pops on each hole which doesn't sound logical.

Wasnt the biggest deal in the world. I still had a great time and there was free beer being handed out throughout the event, but I just dont understand the mentality of posting a truly false score.

moosejaa;n8889853 said:
Best score for a 4 person scramble that I played in was -9 with Plin choppstixxx and the wife.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Oh baby what a day that was, wet/cold/misty. But dang we played good or should I say your wife played good haha.

Best score in a scramble was probably -15 in last years company tournament that we won.

Back