Technology To Have In The Bag Before You Go Practice Or Play

MizunoStriker

Reaction score
Handicap
Give new or old golfers some ideas of the best technology to have with them before they head out to the course or range... Go!

My Picks:

1. Range Finder - An absolute necessity if you're trying to get better. Dial those distances in!

2. Portable Charger - Nobody likes playing golf with a dead or almost dead phone. You can buy one on Amazon for under $30. Get one, you won't regret it! Link: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=portable...d=1566829379&rnid=2470954011&ref=sr_nr_p_85_1

3. Bluetooth Speaker - So much easier than trying to wear earbuds and the bonus... you still get the sound of nature all around! Link to bluetooth speakers for under $50: https://www.amazon.com/s?k=golf+speaker&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

4. Mobile Phone - I know this one is obvious, but make sure you turn off WiFi and find music that enhances your golf experience!

Only thing I need it the rangefinder. My phone goes on silent. If guys want to listen to music I am okay with it.

I could honestly do without any technology when playing my home course. Have played at over 1000 times so rarely reach for my rangefinder. When playing other courses, rangefinder is a must for me. Except at a THP event, can do with or without my phone. I leave it on silence pretty much 24/7 after having to be glued to it for the previous 20 or so years while working.

maybe i'm an old curmudgeon, but i'm not sure any technology is absolutely necessary. yardages can be stepped off from markers on the course. music is a personal preference (i'm not a fan, many are). even rangefinders and gps units are only helpful if you actually know how far you hit the ball. heck, i'd say rangefinders for practice are unnecessary unless you are using a good golf ball.

GPS watch, never brought a speaker on the course but have been with guys that have before. It's fun to jam to some tunes as long as it's not too loud.

Range finder is about the only thing for practice. I don't care for music when I play and certainly not when I practice.

• Arccos Golf
  • Range Finder
  • Apple Watch
  • iPhone
  • iPad
  • Bluetooth Speaker
  • Airpods
Yea, I'm high maintenance.

McLovin;n8890175 said:
maybe i'm an old curmudgeon, but i'm not sure any technology is absolutely necessary. yardages can be stepped off from markers on the course. music is a personal preference (i'm not a fan, many are). even rangefinders and gps units are only helpful if you actually know how far you hit the ball. heck, i'd say rangefinders for practice are unnecessary unless you are using a good golf ball.

I'll practice in headphones but I'm with you here. I'm happy just showing up with my clubs. The range I usually practice at does a good job at marking actual distances to targets so I usually don't end up pulling out a rangefinder. Plus I'm really working on contact, ball shape, etc more than anything when I'm practicing and less about the numbers.

I've had some of the best shooting days when I just head to a course where I'm pretty comfortable with the yardages and aim for the middle of the greens as well. I'm pretty analytical about... well, everything given my line of work but sometimes it's good to just get out there and take some swings.

I use my iPhone and Watch to use GolfShot GPS app. When I play on my own I have my airpods in.

I carry a rangefinder, a GPS, and a portable speaker.

Must haves out of the group? Rangefinder and Speaker.

I use a Garmin S60 when on the course. never leave home without it.

I carry a rangefinder, GPS, and speaker. Use the rangefinder for the obvious reasons, the GPS helps on blind shots where the rangefinder doesn't help, and I keep score on it. I never played music on the course until I won a bluetooth speaker here on THP, now I take it along, but only use it if my playing partners want to listen to some tunes. The phone goes in the bag unless playing music, or taking pictures.

Less is more for this golfer. I carry a rangefinder but believe the data show that using spatial reasoning skills is really good for the brain thing in the command center. I often just use 100, 150, and 200 yard markers on the course. I would love a yardage book with maps and contours and such, but the courses I play don't have those.

Although if my go-to local course would get a Trackman or some kind of launch monitor for lessons for fitting, I might hug each and every employee there. That may be why they don't do it.

I have my laser, phone set to silent and an infrequently used JBL bluetooth speaker.

Oh, also a rechargeable fan with lithium battery for the worst days. I cannot tolerate southern humidity well enough AT ALL. It's not "tech" but I sure enjoy it more than the other stuff when I need it.

I take a range finder and have my Garmin watch on also. Arccos is running but i hardly ever look at the phone to use it.

Garmin watch other than that nothing. I love music but son't listen to while playing or practicing, don't care if others do.

Need to have iPhone and earbuds for music as that really helps me relax. But I got a Flightscope Mevo this summer and love it. Really helps dial in my wedges and such. Also helps/shows that my impact and distances and both been improving thanks to lessons.

Just a rangefinder and a GPS. Don't need either but they beat pacing off every approach.
On a new to me course, the GPS is so valuable.

Practice - earphones so that I can chill out with some music, it helps stop me from getting into the mindset of just hitting one ball after another

Play - GPS watch

My ShotScope watch when I play. I'm still learning distances so the GPS is really helpful. Also it keeps my score for me.

Rangefinder for sure, iPhone, and maybe my charger cord. I love music on the course but I rarely bring my own speaker for it.

GPS watch and pacing off from markers . For the range, I just try to hit targets..mostly partial swings.

Maybe dumb question but for those that take a bluetooth speaker to the range, are you actually playing music on the range?

McLovin;n8890175 said:

This for sure. When you see the difference on Trackman with range balls vs new balls, it's huge.

The only difference I would have is carrying the Skycaddie SX500 now. It gives me quick numbers that are pretty accurate.

Rangefinder.
I'm going to give Arccos a shot.

Back