Major Changes & Forum Downtime Saturday 8/10/19 at 10pm EST

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good luck! I hope it all goes well!

Really excited about this update! Might be a little bumpy at first but I’m pretty sure we will all stick with it just fine!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok everybody, we have MAJOR changes happening to the forum this Saturday which will cause some downtime. I don't have an exact time for you yet, but it will be in the evening.

We are doing another update to the forum software which is going to make everything look very different and a lot will function differently too. It's going to take some getting used to because the change is really big, but we hope overtime everyone loves it. The biggest change will be that the front page as you currently see it will not look or function quite the same, and I think this might be the thing that is the hardest to get used to (I know it is for me). Not everything will be working right as soon as we launch, but give us some time and we will get those things back up and running as soon as possible...it's a process. Below are some of the changes I can immediately think of that you will see and some functionalities that won't work the same or at all anymore.

1. Multi-quote will only work on a single page, if you want to quote from multiple pages you will have to copy and paste those posts because it will ONLY work on 1 page.
  2. There will no longer be a search function under members, so if you want to search for a member you will have to do it by alphabet.
  3. The bar under people's names is their reputation.
  4. Avatars might not work at first, but we will have that fixed fairly quickly.
  5. A cool new thing is that you can now Share on Facebook or Tweet a post you like right from the thread.
  6. Threads are now called Topics.
  7. In each topic (formally called a thread) there is no longer a last button to get to the last page, you will just have to enter the page number in at the top, you will see where that is.
  8. The Thanks button is now a Like button.
  9. Smilies may not all work at first, that's one of those things we will get working as quickly as possible.
  10. Private messages can be found at the top right under Messages, everything in here will look different.
  11. Editing your settings will be a little different too, you can do this under your name on the top right, then User Settings.
  12. If you want to change your Signature that's under User Settings, Account, Conversation Detail Options, and then you click a link to edit your signature.

Here is a sneak peak at what it will look like. Keep in mind, this was done on a test forum so most of the threads you are seeing are test threads TheAnnihilator and I were working on to test the new software.

Screen%20Shot%202019-08-08%20at%2011.22.26%20AM-L.png

Once we launched I will start a thread where people can post any issues they are having and then we will work on getting them fixed. We will have some growing pains at first, but we will get it all figured out over time.

Keeping this one at the top.

Ok everybody, we have MAJOR changes happening to the forum this Saturday which will cause some downtime. I don't have an exact time for you yet, but it will be in the evening.

We are doing another update to the forum software which is going to make everything look very different and a lot will function differently too. It's going to take some getting used to because the change is really big, but we hope overtime everyone loves it. The biggest change will be that the front page as you currently see it will not look or function quite the same, and I think this might be the thing that is the hardest to get used to (I know it is for me). Not everything will be working right as soon as we launch, but give us some time and we will get those things back up and running as soon as possible...it's a process. Below are some of the changes I can immediately think of that you will see and some functionalities that won't work the same or at all anymore.

1. Multi-quote will only work on a single page, if you want to quote from multiple pages you will have to copy and paste those posts because it will ONLY work on 1 page.
  2. There will no longer be a search function under members, so if you want to search for a member you will have to do it by alphabet.
  3. The bar under people's names is their reputation.
  4. Avatars might not work at first, but we will have that fixed fairly quickly.
  5. A cool new thing is that you can now Share on Facebook or Tweet a post you like right from the thread.
  6. Threads are now called Topics.
  7. In each topic (formally called a thread) there is no longer a last button to get to the last page, you will just have to enter the page number in at the top, you will see where that is.
  8. The Thanks button is now a Like button.
  9. Smilies may not all work at first, that's one of those things we will get working as quickly as possible.
  10. Private messages can be found at the top right under Messages, everything in here will look different.
  11. Editing your settings will be a little different too, you can do this under your name on the top right, then User Settings.
  12. If you want to change your Signature that's under User Settings, Account, Conversation Detail Options, and then you click a link to edit your signature.

Here is a sneak peak at what it will look like. Keep in mind, this was done on a test forum so most of the threads you are seeing are test threads TheAnnihilator and I were working on to test the new software.

Screen%20Shot%202019-08-08%20at%2011.22.26%20AM-L.png

Once we launched I will start a thread where people can post any issues they are having and then we will work on getting them fixed. We will have some growing pains at first, but we will get it all figured out over time.

Morgan you are an absolute rockstar! I know how hard you work just keeping things running, and all the work you and TheAnnihilator have been doing is great. Thanks!!!

It’s possible, but because tapatalk is its own entity and we have no control over it, we cannot be sure. In theory it shouldn’t, but I can’t promise that.

The good news is, one of the biggest benefits to making these changes is that we hope to have our own mobile platform so Tapatalk users won’t have to use Tapatalk anymore or deal with all the issues they have been having lately.
That will be nice! Android and apple friendly?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

You made my day - no more Tapatalk

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Updating to the newest version of vBulletin. We hesitated for a long time because the new version doesn't support vBadvanced, which is what you see on the main page now, but if we want to add a mobile suite we had to update, and getting the mobile suite done is top priority for us, especially with all the Tapatalk issues people are having lately.

makes sense and knew that might be a reason. seeing a ton of that type of stuff with websites im working on as well. good luck with it as I know how stressful it is waiting on an update and making sure nothing gets broke!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

SON OF A...

I was waiting to see my name in Today's Birthdays... which is Saturday! :alien2:

Change is good ....thanks JB & GG for all the hard work, can’t wait to see the changes evolve.

Got a busy weekend planned so the downtime isn't likely to affect me, but I will just have to remember to expect a new look when I next check in after the weekend

Looking forward to seeing how it all looks

Looking forward to seeing the new changes!

Being able to ditch Tapatalk will be awesome.

Excited to see it go live. Best way to test it out is to live in that environment for a bit.

I am SOOOOOOOO ready to be rid of Tapatalk.

I think these are all good changes!

I am SOOOOOOOO ready to be rid of Tapatalk.

So much this!!!!

I wonder...will we be able to post video again?? Because that would HUGE!

I'm not a tech savy guy and I'm not saying this current platform is hard, but will the new platform be easier for us old guys? :)

I'm not a tech savy guy and I'm not saying this current platform is hard, but will the new platform be easier for us old guys? :)

It will be different. I can't say harder or easier, just different. The only way to know is to mess with it when the change is made, because you might think it's easier, and someone else who is used to this format might think it takes a little longer to get used to.

I'm excited about the changes, thanks for all your hardwork GG and Ben.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back