TESTED! Srixon ZX4 Irons Review

Canadan

You Are Great
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Back in February Srixon added to the ZX lineup with the new ZX4 irons. The ZX5 and ZX7 had been announced a few months prior, but rumors were swirling about the new hollow body style that would accompany them.

Today we are in the THP Tech Studio for another episode of TESTED! Where you see the swings and get a full breakdown of the data on this new set of Srixon irons. The video below starts off with some technology talk, then hops into the hitting bay for some swings. Finally, we will walk you through the information that the Foresight GCQuad presented and give you some final thoughts.

This episode is full of information and data. Can forgiveness and distance meet performance and control? What about feel and sound and how it relates to this style compared to...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Played the 565/765 combo in the past. Great, great set of clubs. Sound and feel were fantastic, and the forgiveness was there in the 565's, and the accuracy there in the 765's.

Played hollow body in the last few sets, and I do wish they had better sound and feel, but I also understand the construction doesn't lend it to that. With that said, the hollow body that gives you distance, tight dispersion, and forgiveness, even in the sound/feel profile isn't perfect, is definitely something I can and would play.

@Canadan you said it was a great compliment to the rest of the lineup, but do you see any issues with gapping based on the difference in design and intended performance from the ZX4 to the ZX5 and/or ZX7? Did you happen to hit the ZX4 back to back with the ZX5 or ZX7?

This is one of my favorite videos we shot that day (Motocaddy was the other) because @Canadan is so excited during it. To get that kind of sound out of an iron like this was pretty awesome. Then to get that tight of dispersion with those distances he was giddy as you can see in the video.

Srixon has created a helluva lineup with the ZX irons. I’ve hit them all and can’t say enough good things about them. I think there’s real benefit in the V-sole.

Srixon has created a helluva lineup with the ZX irons. I’ve hit them all and can’t say enough good things about them. I think there’s real benefit in the V-sole.
V-sole is fantastic! It just works from so many lies that you see on the course.

Nice review. I would give these a look if/when I am looking for new irons. Can there be an addendum later that addresses the sole design - possibly hitting off real grass - at multiple lengths? Or perhaps a discussion of how it works and why?

The whole package sounds very attractive.

Finally, Srixon bought Cleveland Golf (I believe), so this design the entire line was that by any chance a collaboration between designers or just an evolution of previous Srixon designs/tech?

Thanks Dan - and JB great show.

Nice review. I would give these a look if/when I am looking for new irons. Can there be an addendum later that addresses the sole design - possibly hitting off real grass - at multiple lengths? Or perhaps a discussion of how it works and why?

The whole package sounds very attractive.

Finally, Srixon bought Cleveland Golf (I believe), so this design the entire line was that by any chance a collaboration between designers or just an evolution of previous Srixon designs/tech?

Thanks Dan - and JB great show.

There are some really deep dives on VT Sole throughout THP and the different product release items. But next time we are with their R&D team we can have them go into more depth.

Srixon and Cleveland R&D is one and the same (generally speaking) and has been for a number of years. The head of design in the US is Jeff Brunski, who has been on the Off Course Podcast as well as THP TV discussing their products.

One thing that I don’t think I heard mentioned is that for a forgiving and thicker soled club. The zx4 looks great at address.

There are some really deep dives on VT Sole throughout THP and the different product release items. But next time we are with their R&D team we can have them go into more depth.

Srixon and Cleveland R&D is one and the same (generally speaking) and has been for a number of years. The head of design in the US is Jeff Brunski, who has been on the Off Course Podcast as well as THP TV discussing their products.
Thanks - I was asking as I had not considered any of the Srixon line in recent years, I had believed they were predominantly players clubs. This ZX4 is quite attractive in that regard, it has all the latest tech and still looks the part - so to speak.

I wonder - have you all considered a show on the similarities and/or differences of the hollow body design clubs? Now that everyone (sort of) has a model in their lineup, I think it might be interesting to see how they perform compared to each other - maybe that's just me.

Played the 565/765 combo in the past. Great, great set of clubs. Sound and feel were fantastic, and the forgiveness was there in the 565's, and the accuracy there in the 765's.

Played hollow body in the last few sets, and I do wish they had better sound and feel, but I also understand the construction doesn't lend it to that. With that said, the hollow body that gives you distance, tight dispersion, and forgiveness, even in the sound/feel profile isn't perfect, is definitely something I can and would play.

@Canadan you said it was a great compliment to the rest of the lineup, but do you see any issues with gapping based on the difference in design and intended performance from the ZX4 to the ZX5 and/or ZX7? Did you happen to hit the ZX4 back to back with the ZX5 or ZX7?
Not @Canadan , but I have been in the Tech Studio and hit all of the ZX irons side by side.

The ZX line was designed to combo & gap, Noelle talks extensively about gapping on an episode of The Off Course podcast.

The ZX4 is probably in the 4 and 5 iron spot if you are combining a bag.

Wow, great video, as I posted last week, I am in search of new irons as I am hitting 5 + YO irons now and feel time to upgrade. These will definitely get a look. I think I hear that a combo set, maybe the 4-6 ZX4 and 7-PW ZX5, would be good? Thoughts? I generally shoot around 85-90 most rounds.

Not @Canadan , but I have been in the Tech Studio and hit all of the ZX irons side by side.

The ZX line was designed to combo & gap, Noelle talks extensively about gapping on an episode of The Off Course podcast.

Thanks. I know it was talked about with the ZX5/7, but couldn't remember hearing about the ZX4 and how it would combo. They would definitely be in the 4 and 5i spots in the bag if I was looking at new Srixon irons.

Wow, great video, as I posted last week, I am in search of new irons as I am hitting 5 + YO irons now and feel time to upgrade. These will definitely get a look. I think I hear that a combo set, maybe the 4-6 ZX4 and 7-PW ZX5, would be good? Thoughts? I generally shoot around 85-90 most rounds.

You would have to ask yourself what is the reason for the combo? Is there an issue in the scoring clubs of the ZX4 for that golfer?

It would work ... in fact if I would have went with Srixon, I was pondering that same set up.

I usually shoot in the mid to low 80's. Previously played a Srixon 565 (4-6i)/765 (7-PW) set. For the most part I really enjoyed the irons, but always wondered if having the 565 in the 7-PW spot might have been better for my game.

Now that the ZX4 line has come out, I would definitely give strong consideration to playing ZX4 in the 4 and 5i, and the rest ZX5. For me and my swing the added forgiveness in the long irons is a no brainer. But I also have to ask myself, would I be better off playing ZX4 through the entire bag? Just have to hit some and see what works!

I have a ZX4 6i bent 1* strong that I use in the 5i spot. Haven't hit it much but it seems to fit that spot really well

Great video guys! These look incredible.

I have the ZX4 5I bent 1 weak to gap into my ZX5’s. It complements my set and it a versatile club in that spot.

Not this time around, no. I won't make any assumptions on gapping but I'm also not afraid of it at all, especially for my game. I typically bend my irons a bit strong to accommodate my dynamic loft, which means I could probably just put the ZX4 in play without altering loft if there happened to be a gapping issue. That in mind, I also wasn't hitting any crazy numbers with the head, it was just consistent. On the button with my current player irons, I can get the 7 out there pretty good. What I can't do, is freely hit a 190 yard flag with them haha

These look great and the performance really stands out. Another great video by @Canadan @JB and THP!

I was considering the ZX5 4i to go with my set but this has me thinking the ZX4 is a contender too.

I think these look fantastic and fit the slot perfectly for Srixon in that category. For me personally I think the ZX5 is where I would be but could easily see the ZX4 in the 4 iron maybe even 5 iron slots.

I think these look fantastic and fit the slot perfectly for Srixon in that category. For me personally I think the ZX5 is where I would be but could easily see the ZX4 in the 4 iron maybe even 5 iron slots.
maybe even 6 and 7 :D

Back