Handicap posting question - full score, or Score with ESC?

ShanksaloT

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
13 WHS
Hi all,

So I was playing with a buddy and noticed that, due to his handicap, he says he can't take worse than a double due to his ESC (equitable stroke count)

Now that got me thinking - I'm currently an 18 handicap and have always, no matter what posted my total score - whether that is an 89 or a 109....

So, with ESC applied, I should take no worse than a tripple on a par 4 - (add 2 and then apply the stroke I would get on a par 4, so a 7)

Therfore, should I be putting an 8 or 9 if I have a bad hole, or out a 7 for handicap purposes?

Sorry if the above is confusing - just I play alot of stroke based matches and want to make sure I'm inputting scores correctly.

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Hi all,

So I was playing with a buddy and noticed that, due to his handicap, he says he can't take worse than a double due to his ESC (equitable stroke count)

Now that got me thinking - I'm currently an 18 handicap and have always, no matter what posted my total score - whether that is an 89 or a 109....

So, with ESC applied, I should take no worse than a tripple on a par 4 - (add 2 and then apply the stroke I would get on a par 4, so a 7)

Therfore, should I be putting an 8 or 9 if I have a bad hole, or out a 7 for handicap purposes?

Sorry if the above is confusing - just I play alot of stroke based matches and want to make sure I'm inputting scores correctly.

Thanks!

If you are posting a score TOTAL, you need to apply the ESC (old term for what is now net double bogey) before you add it up.

If you do hole by hole, it should automatically adjust scores down to their allowable maximum.

What is your friend's handicap? For him to take no worse than double, he's got to be down to scratch or better. He may have meant no worse than net double.

If you are posting a score TOTAL, you need to apply the ESC (old term for what is now net double bogey) before you add it up.

If you do hole by hole, it should automatically adjust scores down to their allowable maximum.

What is your friend's handicap? For him to take no worse than double, he's got to be down to scratch or better. He may have meant no worse than net double.

Thanks! Yes he meant net double bogey - so what I should be doing is taking no more than a triple on holes when posting a TOTAL 18 hole score since I never do hole-by-hole. Understood.

**For example - par 4 - I get a 9, I post no more than a 7?**

You have to keep track of how many strokes you get on each hole to know what "net double bogey" is. I wasn't sure whether you knew that part or not from your post, if you already knew that I apologize!

Thanks! Yes he meant net double bogey - so what I should be doing is taking no more than a triple on holes when posting a TOTAL 18 hole score since I never do hole-by-hole. Understood.

**For example - par 4 - I get a 9, I post no more than a 7?**
You would take a triple (net double bogey) on any hole that you get a stroke on, and a double bogey on any hole you don't get a stroke on.

You show your handicap index as 18 - so say you were playing a course where your "course handicap" (different than your Index) was 16. You would get a stroke on the holes handicapped 1-16, so you would take triple bogey max (net double) on those holes, and double bogey max on the #17 and #18 handicap holes.

If you post hole by hole, the app/website should automatically adjust those for you, but if you're just posting a total score you have to make those adjustments yourself before you post. By not doing so, you're artificially inflating your handicap.

For handicap purposes, double net bogey is the play.

If we're playing stoke play for money, Im counting your quadruple. :ROFLMAO:

Oh of course - all day! Understood.

You have to keep track of how many strokes you get on each hole to know what "net double bogey" is. I wasn't sure whether you knew that part or not from your post, if you already knew that I apologize!
Yes I always write down all of my strokes - when I play my buddy, who is a 6, I am a 18 so I get 6 a side from him.

You would take a triple (net double bogey) on any hole that you get a stroke on, and a double bogey on any hole you don't get a stroke on.

You show your handicap index as 18 - so say you were playing a course where your "course handicap" (different than your Index) was 16. You would get a stroke on the holes handicapped 1-16, so you would take triple bogey max (net double) on those holes, and double bogey max on the #17 and #18 handicap holes.

If you post hole by hole, the app/website should automatically adjust those for you, but if you're just posting a total score you have to make those adjustments yourself before you post. By not doing so, you're artificially inflating your handicap.
Understood - thank you for clarifying!

I assume now my HC will drop as a result of this.

...Yes I always write down all of my strokes - when I play my buddy, who is a 6, I am a 18 so I get 6 a side from him.
Just in case you don't already, remember to look up your Course Handicaps rather than just going off your Handicap Indexes. I'm a 13, but from the tees we usually play on my home course (66.7/114), my Course Handicap is an 8. It will vary on every course according to the Course Rating and Slope of whatever tees you're playing from. That makes a difference because you might be taking triples on some holes where you should only be taking doubles - if I played off my Handicap Index, there would be 5 more holes that I could potentially take triples on (handicap holes 9-13). And even the decimal point in your handicap can make a difference - for example, I'm currently a 13.4 and one of the other guys I play with is a 13.7 - the calculator works my Course Handicap out to an 8, and his is a 9!

If you have the GHIN app, click on the "Handicap Calculator" and it will work them out for you.

Last edited:
Just in case you don't already, remember to look up your Course Handicaps rather than just going off your Handicap Indexes. I'm a 13, but from the tees we usually play on my home course (66.7/114), my Course Handicap is an 8. It will vary on every course according to the Course Rating and Slope of whatever tees you're playing from. That makes a difference because you might be taking triples on some holes where you should only be taking doubles - if I played off my Handicap Index, there would be 5 more holes that I could potentially take triples on (handicap holes 9-13). And even the decimal point in your handicap can make a difference - for example, I'm currently a 13.4 and one of the other guys I play with is a 13.7 - the calculator works my Course Handicap out to an 8, and his is a 9!

If you have the GHIN app, click on the "Handicap Calculator" and it will work them out for you.

This is an important point because at my course if you are an 18 index your course handicap would be a 24. So on the 6 hardest holes your net double bogey score would be four over par for those holes.

What he said!!!

Hi all,

Thanks!

"No worse than double" is ONLY for posting your score. If you are playing for quarters, and he takes a triple bogey where you take a double, you win the hole.

I enter all of my scores with hole by hole with stats to avoid this issue. If it is a course that isn't listed I will perform the calculation and do it myself.

If you do not have a handicap and are establishing one, your "net DB" is Par + 5 strokes.

Back