TESTED! Cobra KING Tec Hybrid Review

Canadan

LGND
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Last month Cobra Golf dropped their latest hybrid and it was sort of a surprise release timing wise. The Cobra KING Tec Hybrid immediately looked high tech (no pun intended), but how would it perform?

Today we are in the THP Tech Studio for another episode of TESTED! Where you see the swings and get a full breakdown of the data on the new Cobra KING Tec Hybrid. The video below starts off with some technology talk, and we walk you through overhead what is going on with this new hybrid. Then we hop into the hitting bay for some swings and finally, we breakdown the information that the Foresight GCQuad presented and give you some final thoughts. 

This episode is full of information and data. Can this hybrid...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work there @Canadan! Did you fiddle with the weights any to see if the ball flight changed significantly?

I enjoyed this one a lot. Interesting club with adjustability

One of my favorite looking clubs in recent memory.

I'm pretty content with the speedzone hybrid/3w in the bag now so not sure exactly where this would fit in. If my ongoing driving iron experiment doesn't work, this would get a strong look in a 2-3h. The adjustability would give a lot of confidence to find a fit in what I would need.

the rails seem like such a good thing for me with the recent cobra hybrids, that would be my only concern.

Also, Dan with the "bear with my swing change" immediately followed with a majestic 235y hybrid that hits the midline. :LOL: I wish i had those problems.

I want to touch on a couple things while the video is there to check out.

1 - I really think this hybrid supports the straight line to draw fighter style of golfer. It seems to sit a bit flat and/or open at neutral address, and with the weights being able to be thrown out towards the toe, you get a real chance to eliminate any left hand turn

2 - I know i hit some good ones, but my swing really is weird right now (for me). I'll get it fixed soon, and won't make those comments in videos (lol), but we really wanted to show you what this club could do.

@Canadan putting dents in the THP hitting bay floor with those balls rattling back. @GolferGal, you may want too put some more green down or something to avoid the marks!

Seriously, nice review Dan. Thanks for putting it through its paces. Very nice looking to be sure

@Canadan - what are your thoughts on the shaft they paired to this hybrid? What type of swing would that fit?

@Canadan - what are your thoughts on the shaft they paired to this hybrid? What type of swing would that fit?
I'd really like to hold off that kind of thought until my swing is squared away because I don't want to share something that doesn't adequately reference past experiences.

That said, I did enjoy it - seemed nice and stable at 80tx (not surprising). I would assume the design is for stronger moves at that flex.

Nice review, love the look.

I am in the process of looking to change out my hybrids and I like the idea of adjustability. Curious to those that know more about moving weight. If you were to put the 12g weights at the heel and toe would that decrease spin and decrease the forgiveness? What if you changed from the two 12g and one 2g to something different?

Also, @Canadan thoughts on overall forgiveness on this hybrid. I too have my misses on the toe side.

As someone lucky enough to have this in hand and played it, I can honestly say that it is a beast. I ordered it as a 5h and even from the photos it looks incredible, the best looking hybrid I've ever seen.

When I first tested it, I would echo the observations that @Canadan made in that it sits pretty open at address and that was proven by the high right and relatively flat ball flight that I had. The ones that I did catch perfectly were just so far beyond the distance I was needing them to go that it was making me almost laugh. I got home, and cranked the loft up a degree and a half into the draw setting. I also moved the weights so that I had 12g in both heel and back, with the lighter weight in the toe. This made all the difference, ball flight is now soaring, dead straight and is just a great feeling club.

Good stuff. Did you play with the weights at all? Where were they set? Having played Cobra hybrids in the past this one is intriguing to me much more so than the standard models they offer.

This is one I will definitely be watching after work! Fell in love with the look of this one when I saw it. Excited to hear more about it!

As someone lucky enough to have this in hand and played it, I can honestly say that it is a beast. I ordered it as a 5h and even from the photos it looks incredible, the best looking hybrid I've ever seen.

When I first tested it, I would echo the observations that @Canadan made in that it sits pretty open at address and that was proven by the high right and relatively flat ball flight that I had. The ones that I did catch perfectly were just so far beyond the distance I was needing them to go that it was making me almost laugh. I got home, and cranked the loft up a degree and a half into the draw setting. I also moved the weights so that I had 12g in both heel and back, with the lighter weight in the toe. This made all the difference, ball flight is now soaring, dead straight and is just a great feeling club.
Sits open at address? Oh my…between this and the adjustable weights, I have some serious pondering to do!! My current hybrids have suddenly turned into hooking machines, and it sounds like King TEC might be the answer!

Sits open at address? Oh my…between this and the adjustable weights, I have some serious pondering to do!! My current hybrids have suddenly turned into hooking machines, and it sounds like King TEC might be the answer!
Certainly in my experience from how this set up and looked, there was no chance this was going left unless you put a really bad swing on it.

I was pretty impressed with this hybrid. Solid sound and feel and pretty hot.. Was a little flat in the flight to my eye for a hybrid but still solid.

1 - I really think this hybrid supports the straight line to draw fighter style of golfer. It seems to sit a bit flat and/or open at neutral address, and with the weights being able to be thrown out towards the toe, you get a real chance to eliminate any left hand turn

2 - I know i hit some good ones, but my swing really is weird right now (for me). I'll get it fixed soon, and won't make those comments in videos (lol), but we really wanted to show you what this club could do.

I would pay money to have your worst swing as my average

Very nice video as always! Really getting into the THP tv

Good video! I'd take that swing.

I really want one of these. I have to get to a shop to give one a swing as it's a bit pricey for me to just order one blindly and hope for the best.

I like a hybrid that sits open. This is one I'll certainly have to try!

This hybrid intrigues me but it will have to wait until after the Morgan Cup. The hybrid spot is not as popular in my bag anymore with the awesomeness of the Radspeed 3w and the Forged Tec 4i.

Really intriguing review, @Canadan. I'm all eyes and ears for a club that will help me avoid the hooks.

Cobra has a nice selection of no-upcharge shafts.

Good stuff. It's a nice looking hybrid for someone that likes the flatter more open look.

As one of those people, I loved that the moment I saw it and have told everyone I could. No one here seems to want to try it though. I just asked the other day and they swear I'm the only one they've even seen hit it. I don't get that.

Your point one was going to be my question. It is a good looking club and I was wondering if it is hook resistant.

Back