Alta cb shaft higher launch and spin than tour shaft I pick up a regular tour shaft hit it fine having trouble hitting it very high

Alta cb shaft higher launch and spin than tour shaft I pick up a regular tour shaft hit it fine having trouble hitting it very high

When I first got the Max thru discussion the the golf shop owner, we decided on the Tour shaft and i couldn't get the ball in the air! It looked like it wasn't 20 feet in height. Switched that shaft out for the Alta cb and wow what a difference, a nice mid trajectory ball flight now, just perfect!

According to TrackMan I could stand to bring my launch and spin down. Not a ton but enough. Wondering if I should try the LST or pick up another Max in 9* and drop the loft a little. I’m playing my Max -1* and flat. I’ve made some swing changes that have me hitting straight or a draw vs my old push fade/slice

According to TrackMan I could stand to bring my launch and spin down. Not a ton but enough. Wondering if I should try the LST or pick up another Max in 9* and drop the loft a little. I’m playing my Max -1* and flat. I’ve made some swing changes that have me hitting straight or a draw vs my old push fade/slice
The 9* might be the answer. I played my Max at 8* dropped 1 degree.

The 9* might be the answer. I played my Max at 8* dropped 1 degree.

I might need to go back and see if they’ll let me try both against mine. I didn’t think about it until after I left

My 9* is set to -1 as well. Might even go down to -1.5 and play it at 7.5*.

Yet to try a Ping driver but from all I've read and heard it might be my last great hope. The LST is the model that would help me most based on reviews. Going to try and get out to demo one soon and we'll go from there

So, I have been on the hunt for a very specific club for a couple very specific shots at my course. This club had to launch ridiculously high to get over some trees on a few dog legs. It had to be quite a bit shorter than my cannon of a 3 wood (Mav SZ). And, it had to be easy to launch from the deck to combat me being notoriously bad with fairway wood contact off the ground.

So, as I began my search, I told myself, "self, you love your 3 wood. Just get yourself a bomber 5 wood to match and roll with it." Well, I couldn't find a Mav SZ 5 wood to try locally and this being an experiment, I didn't want to buy a club with an upgraded shaft. And, with the bonded hosel, it wasn't an easy upgrade for me given my lack of club building knowledge and the lack of club builders here. I went in and tried the Epic Speed and while it was a bomber, it just didn't have the launch I was looking for.

I stumbled on a good deal for a Sim2 Titanium 5 wood with a decent shaft. I bought it up and was pumped to get it on the course. Only, it launched even lower than the speed and just seemed to spin way too low. So, I knew the TM was living on borrowed time. I was noticing that my lack of said club was probably leading to some boneheaded mistakes on the course.

So, a friend of mine was in town. He had a Ping G425 Max 5 wood at his disposal and let me try it on a couple of holes. Well, needless to say, it checked pretty much all of the boxes I was looking for. It launched higher than I think I have ever hit a ball in my life. It just wanted to go straight. But, there was a big problem. It was just flat out too long for what I needed. No joke, it was probably as long as my 3 wood. I hit in on the 18th hole at my home course 301 yards. While very cool to see a 5 wood do that. It just wasn't feasible.

So, I went back to the drawing board. But, not to start over. Just to make a couple of tweaks. I ended up finding a G425 7 wood for a great price. Now, I never would have pegged myself as a 7 wood user. Just never really thought it was something I would need. But, being 20.5 degrees, I lowered the loft a degree and now it is basically the same loft as a traditional 5 wood. I found a used Tensei Pro Blue to put in it at 5 wood length and threw it in the bag.

Long story short (short for me anyways), this thing is exactly what my bag needed. I use it on basically 3 holes off the tee. But, it is so straight and goes so high it sets up absolutely perfect for the shots. It is also super easy to launch off the deck. I am still a shaky fairway wood player in that aspect, but this sure does help.

I never even considered Ping fairway woods in the past. I didn't like the look or how shallow the face is. I was floored with the results.

I’d like to chime in on my experiences with the G425 LST 9* driver.

I swing114-118mph. I am left handed. I went and got fitted in the snow the first week of January. Shaft was Ping Tour 75g x flex.
It took 4 months to get it :(

My thoughts: I’ve had a G400 Max 9*with Ping tour 65X that was an amazing fairway finder. But I spun that thing way too much. 275-290 approaching 300 yds as my best. Most forgiving I’ve ever used.
Also had a G400 LST 8.5* with Aldila Rogue white(older model). Probably the hottest face I can remember having. I Hit some 320+. A nice controlled power fade is what this club wanted to do.
On to the G425. Again, all Ping drivers have a super stable feeling to them. My issue with this years LST was the launch angle was several degrees lower for me and I had a hard time getting the spin under 2600rpm.
I know a different shaft could change that, but Pings selection of stock shafts are “ok” and the Rogue white that I wanted was MIA all season.
I wish they had a few more options at the $500+ price point.
Additionally, I felt like the Ping didn’t have as much “pop” compared to previous Taylormade drivers such as the M5 and the Sim.

I traded in the LST after getting fitted for a Callaway Epic Max LS.

I like and miss the solid feel and sound of the Ping, but I can’t argue with perfect launch and spin. Ball speed was higher, as I am creeping into the 170s now.
It’s been documented that Ping head weights are on the heavier side. A lighter Callaway head swings faster and ultimately fits me better.

I can see why Ping doesn’t do the super low spin characteristics into their drivers. Accuracy. But When I hit driver I want to pound it as far as possible. And I am willing to sacrifice a few things for the big ones.

I have done some swing changes recently, but get fitted and find something you like.
I had very similar results with the 425LST. Was hunting for more accuracy when I was really struggling with my driving. It was straighter for sure. But it was shorter on good shots. And I was shocked at how low it launched. It was just a strange flight.

I didn’t think a lot of the distance loss until I finally gave up on it and saw where I was ending up. It’s a good driver no doubt. Just wasn’t a fully great fit for me.

Screenshot_20210928-082528.png
Well shout out to ping. I cracked the crown of my g400 lst driver out on the course. Brought it to the place I bought it. Within a week, they had a new g425 LST for no charge! Great company.
Screenshot_20210928-082545.png

Being a Ping fan, I have tried their drivers over the years but with my normal driver setup they just did not work for me.
But over the past two weeks I have worked on my setup, hand placement, ball placement, etc and it changed the way I deliver the clubhead to the ball.
Was testing the new Cleveland XL Lite driver and my setup changes were showing promise. I then hit a G425 Max 10.5 and it also clicked.
My local store had a used G425 Max with Tensei Orange AV Raw 55R and the numbers were really good (for me). 129 ball, 17* launch, 2400 spin, 214 carry and 237 total.
I ended up buying it and took it out to the course. So far in two rounds (albeit a limited sample), Shot Scope has me at 229 avg, 257 Perf Avg and 270 long and 60% FIR.
In 2 seasons of recording data, my longest setup prior to that was 217 avg, 238 Perf Avg and 53% FIR.
So I am liking what I am seeing thus far.
Granted the setup change I am sure if what is helping the most, but I have tried some other drivers since the change that haven't been as good as the 425 Max.

I know most will knock the sound, and sure when comparing to other clubs in an indoor bay, the sound is on the louder more harsh side, but honestly after hitting several drives on the range I don't even notice it any longer. Matter of fact, I hit a ball after on the course with my old driver and thought it was on the more muted quite side and actually like the louder sound.

Last edited:
Been awhile since I have updated, but my love affair with the LST driver (it's really my swing) went south on me in the last 6 or so weeks. I know the club can do what I want, as there are flashes of brillaince with it. Sundays round in Austin, on the first hole smashed driver on left side of fairway with a very slight fade and it went 265 yards with some dew slowing it down. That was the last good drive I had on that day. :ROFLMAO:

More swing work is needed to get me there with consistency and not regress to bad habits. But, I know it's the indian and not the arrow in my case.

Wow, that's impressive!

Also, what a gnarly crack hahaha! Did that happen over one hit or a few?
It happened on one shot. It was a really weird sound for sure.

Loving my g425max 10.5* with the alta cb 55g S flex. I've been playing it since June and I've never put myself in less trouble except when I just play 3wood all day. It wasn't as long as others I tried, but it was by far the most forgiving.

Picking up my new SFT driver and max FW on Saturday! First new club purchase in a looooong time and real excited about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trying to get info specifically on the G425 irons.
I currently play 2016 Ping G irons. The lofts on those irons are the strongest Ping has had in years. Enter the 425. These lofts mimic the G lofts, actually 0.5* stronger. I hit my 7I 145. I am not the longest player, and I need to maintain at least what I have.
currently have Recoil F3 smacwrap shafts and love them.
Questions I have - Are the G425 an upgrade to what I have? (I do like shiny and new by the way) but is the expense going to bring - Tighter dispersion, same or a little gain in distance?
I know get fitted right, but the local stores don’t have any in stock.
Looking for maybe a little insight from those Ping players.
Thanks in advance for the help.

I know Ping we’re having issues with the supply chain, but chatting to one of the cops at work this morning, and he’s still waiting for his G425 irons after being fit and placing the order in MAY!!!! And of course, he had to pay for them up front. That is absolutely ridiculous. I do my nut having to wait a week or 2 for stuff, 7 months is crazy!!!!!!

I know Ping we’re having issues with the supply chain, but chatting to one of the cops at work this morning, and he’s still waiting for his G425 irons after being fit and placing the order in MAY!!!! And of course, he had to pay for them up front. That is absolutely ridiculous. I do my nut having to wait a week or 2 for stuff, 7 months is crazy!!!!!!
Was one of the reasons I cancelled my irons order. Got my woods quicker than I expected and I love them but after my 3rd delay on the irons I gave up.

What options did you all order? Mine showed up about 5 weeks after ordering this springs.

That's just stupid. I would have cancelled moved on a long time ago.

I got fitted for the G425 Driver, 3 wood, and 4 hybrid in late September. The driver and 3 wood came in within 6 weeks, but I just got the 4 hybrid last week. Love the clubs. I wasn't fitted for Ping irons, instead I was fitted to Mizuno JPX irons and they arrived within just 3 weeks!

I was fitted for Driver and 5i-UW on August 12th. I received the Driver in 2 weeks. I went back and purchased a 5w (in stock) and ordered a 7w. The 7w should have been here end of November? Latest Ping update on irons, end of January. I love the driver and 5w, so I'm patiently waiting. Hoping I have everything for spring.

Reactions: KEV
Back