Personal Best at easier course?

Mattattack

Reaction score
Handicap
My recent GHIN update puts me at an 8.5 handicap. Sounds great in theory, but Im still THAT GOLFER with a single digit handi that has never broken 80. And its frustrating. Like a mental block.

My last round, I shot an 80 on the number. 6500 yards. 72.7 Rating with 142 slope for a 5.8 differential.

Which got me thinking...

Should I go seek out an easier course, like muni with easier approaches and greens, and attempt it there? Im the type that once I do it for the first time, doing it again is easy. However, also enjoy the challenge and dont want to do it for the sake of a vanity PR.

1. Play easier course to break through the 80 barrier so I can get it over the mental challenge.

2. Suck it up and keep on trying on the more difficult layouts until I can finally do it.

What yall think?

If you don't want a vanity PR, I think you have your answer.

Don't sweat it. It'll come.

Don't get hung up on the actual number. The score will fall when you aren't fixated on the score.

My home course is quite difficult white tees are CR 72.0 slope of 141, blues are 74.4/144. I shot 78 from the blues the other day which I think translated to a 2.5 or 2.6 differential. That round could easily have been 72 or 73 somewhere else. Just don't worry about it the scores will come when they do.

I'm the same way that once I hit a milestone number once, others start flowing in after. I'd give it a shot or two at an "easier" course just to feel that breakthrough. Then I bet you break 80 at your home course shortly after.

80 on a 142 slope course is an awesome score to be proud of!

I'm the same way that once I hit a milestone number once, others start flowing in after. I'd give it a shot or two at an "easier" course just to feel that breakthrough. Then I bet you break 80 at your home course shortly after.
This!

And if you’re worried about calling it a vanity PR, don’t even count it as a PR. Use it as a means to see that 79 (or lower) on a scorecard and then get it done on the home course!

If you think breaking 80 on an easier course will help with the mental barrier of doing it on the more challenging course, I say go for it! If you think it would be fun to put up a crazy low number, I say go for it! Your lowest round doesn’t necessarily need to be your best round.

Those are solid scores on that type of course and distance. I would say it will happen, just need to figure out what is holding you back, putting? shortgame errors?

Pitch N Putt, Baby for your PB!!! :drinks:

This!

And if you’re worried about calling it a vanity PR, don’t even count it as a PR. Use it as a means to see that 79 (or lower) on a scorecard and then get it done on the home course!

Not comparing myself to pros, but similar concept I think.

Do you really need your first win to be at a major? Sometimes u just need the John Deere win to catapult your career.

Those are solid scores on that type of course and distance. I would say it will happen, just need to figure out what is holding you back, putting? shortgame errors?

It’s always one thing or another. Some days, ball striking is suspect, but my short game saves me. Some days, I feel like I hit every green, but can’t make a 5 footer to save my life.

If I had to improve one place, I would always say putting. Being able to make a couple 10 footers in a round really changes the trajectory of the day.

Just keep playing and it will come. I think I went from an 80 to a 78 then to a 76. Those were both from our blue tees around 6200 yards but I also started shooting a few high 70's from them and and our golds at 6600. I think had a day hit and shot an even 72 from the golds when I think my best was a 77 or 78 from there and still the low of 76 from the blues. I shot a couple more evens from the blues the next year then finally broke through and shot a 69 from the blues. Had another 68 from there last year and then about a month ago I shot a 69 from our golds. The only thing that changed in those low rounds was just that everything came together and I didn't make mistakes off the tees and made putts for pars and birdies. Keep it up and you'll get there.

Honestly I don't care where or when it comes.
I will take a PB anytime!!!

This!

This recent attempt was at a friends course I play occasionally. My home course is rated similar, but I think significantly harder.

My PR for 9 holes at my own course is 1 under. But I’ve never broken 80 in a full 18.

(I’m the odd guy that doesn’t post 9 hole scores) guess that should be a separate thread/conversation

I am at a 7.8 WHS index at the moment, but have broken 80 a number of times at both easier and harder courses

If it is a confidence thing, then maybe it wouldn't hurt to play an easier course a few times or until you do break 80, but just be aware that regularly playing an easier course could harm you when you come to play the difficult ones again, even though your playing handicap will adjust to reflect the harder course

With the ratings at most of the courses I play around here, my playing handicap tends to range from 7 to 9, but there is one course I consider quite easy and I don't think I have ever shot over 80 there before (although it has always been casual rounds so not ones counting towards my handicap)

I have two course near by that I frequent.

Course 1 is a little longer, but pretty wide open. By wide open I mean most of the time I have a decent next shot, since there are not many trees, hazards, or much rough to deal with. For what ever reason, it has a slightly higher slope, and rating than the other course. Most of my 78s, and 79s I shoot are on this course.

Course 2, my home course, is not nearly as open as #1. Trees, and people's back yards line the fairways. Water hazards are situated to be a big deal, as are the bunkers. I have to think more when playing this course.

Even though I consistently score lower on course #1, I play course #2 most of the time. Course #2 has the lower green fees, and lots more shade. Course #2 doesnt require I check in, or be 100% dress code compliant just to use their practice facilities.

I suspect if I played #1 more often I, could lower my handicap by 2-3 strokes.

A few weeks ago I played 5 different, new to me courses, and scored better than my handicap might suggest. In all those rounds, I had to focus more on my mental, course management game.

My point is when a golfer's physical game is not getting them the lower scores they want, then the golfer might do well to focus more on course management, and the other mental aspects of their game.

While I love my home course, I enjoy playing different places. My home course is much more difficult then any other course in this area but all my best scores have come there. I am sure part of it is knowing the course much better but I think playing other places is not necessarily going to have you shoot a lower score. If you play other places do it because you like playing something different. Don't worry about the score and just enjoy your time on the course. My best scores are always days I am relaxed and just playing to have fun and not even worrying about the score.

It is good to travel around and play courses of various difficulties. Your home course has a very high slope and rating so breaking 80 sounds like more than just a good score (and it will come eventually). See how you play at a shorter or lower slope course. I think it might be fun.

I am going to take the opposite position I took earlier. Sometimes the number can be a barrier in your mind. Playing an easier course you can break 80 at could get you to stop thinking about it. Another option is to play the forward tees at the course you usually play. Either senior or ladies tees. Nicklaus didn't let his kids move back tee sets until they were breaking par from the more forward tees.

Do whichever one works for you. If you think getting a PB on an easier course would help you get over the hump, go for it - if you'd feel guilty about it or it would hurt your ego that it was done on that course, don't bother. Either way it sounds like you're right on the verge of doing it on your home course, so it will probably happen there eventually anyway.

I personally wouldn't go seeking an easier course just to achieve a PB. But whever if happens, it definitely counts. Even on easier courses, you still have to execute the shots to score.

For myself personally I only like to count scores as a personal best if they are at a course with a -1 course rating (71 on a par 72) or harder.

a 142 slope course is very challenging especially for a course at 6500 so an 80 on the number would feel like a 75 to me. I would most definitely play some easier courses. I just played pine needles, Kings North, and thistle golf club last week from 6500 yards. Those are not considered “easy“ courses in my opinion and all fall in the range of 135-137. Even an easier muni course as long as you are playing tipped out, I don’t see why you couldn’t count that towards a PR.

One of the most difficult courses in Indiana from the tips (7,700 yards) has a USGA slope of 142 to put in perspective how hard that course rating is.

79 sounds better than 80, that's why they price something $99.99.

Back