MarMill

Be Positive!
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Grint 8.10
Looks like things are heating up again in this front!!

I would be all for this move if it really happens.

B9B41979-2003-4FA1-9DB0-1598B14E9529.gif
Oklahoma doesn’t want anymore of this smoke...

I don't understand TU wanting to go to SEC. They already can't compete in Big 12.

Come on down!
1626920610633.png

Texas seems like they would rather be king of the ashes in the Big 12. Or maybe just a minor minister...;)

Anyone else would be crazy not to jump to the SEC if the option was available. Texas A&M for example made plenty of money in the Big 12, but now they make even more.

Hot take incoming:

These power conference schools have so much money there’s no point in regional conferences for football. Let’s just have a national conference with promotion/relegation.

Don't think it would be a good move for either of them.

Too much $$ in these conferences not to consider a d I’m sure both schools are salivating at the opportunity to join SEC

If I am a Texas person then why would I go chase A&M. That is saying you need A&M more than they need you. It would be best for Texas to go to the Pac-12 IMHO. OU would do fine in the SEC. I didn't say win titles but they would compete. Although if OU follows A&M to the SEC and TU doesn't then good luck recruiting in your home state.

Last edited:
They should stay. At least they can win the Big 12 championship. ;)

In all seriousness, I don’t think it ever happens for several reasons:

A&M would fight it hard, the SEC membership gives them an advantage over TX that they wouldn’t give up easily. Missouri would be a no vote too & Arkansas probably wouldn’t be keen on voting yes either. All the former SWC schools, got away from Texas for a reason.

Oklahoma isn’t leaving Oklahoma State & the SEC wouldn’t want OKST, there isn’t a TV market or Brand that comes with OKST. Oklahoma? Sure but OKST? No.

It would only take 4 No votes to kill the deal, And it seems to be 3 hard no votes from jump street.

I think TX goes to the PAC 12, I think they leaked this SEC story to raise their price to the PAC 12.

Hot Take- The SEC should have taken Texas & Oklahoma when it took Missouri & Texas A&M. Now it’s too late.

I don’t like the move. I would rather see OU in the PAC12 or Big10 if they were to move. I could see them recruiting better in both areas than they would in SEC.

I don’t like the move. I would rather see OU in the PAC12 or Big10 if they were to move. I could see them recruiting better in both areas than they would in SEC.
This is a great point...

Also Texas wouldn’t have the same clout in the SEC as they do in the Big 12... We aren’t going to allow The Longhorn Network... TLN is DOA if they join.

Just the media deals OU/TX has in place makes it unlikely they switch anytime soon. I think OU’s deal ends in 2025 and TX is 2030. But I definitely don’t know the details and if there are ways out of the deals.

Hot Take- The SEC should have taken Texas & Oklahoma when it took Missouri & Texas A&M. Now it’s too late.
At least 90% of our reason in leaving the Big 12 was to get away from Texas. And obviously we weren't the only program to want to get away from them. And it had absolutely zero to do with competition (obviously or we wouldn't have chosen the SEC). So that wouldn't have been an option for us.

At least 90% of our reason in leaving the Big 12 was to get away from Texas. And obviously we weren't the only program to want to get away from them. And it had absolutely zero to do with competition (obviously or we wouldn't have chosen the SEC). So that wouldn't have been an option for us.
I meant taking Texas & Oklahoma instead of taking A&M & Missouri... Because of what you said, the Texas schools were going anywhere together... If the SEC wanted Texas & Oklahoma, the time to take them would have been the last expansion, now it’s too late.

I don’t mind having A&M in the conference either, but Missouri isn’t really a cultural fit and could do without them because they don’t really bring anything beside the St. Louis TV Market.

My take has nothing to do with competition, LSU recruits Houston very well and is 8-2* vs. A&M in the last 10.

*The 2018 Game is under dispute in my personal cannon, because we won that game like 3 different times.

Now that we took care of the stupid Thanksgiving Game thing, because we refused to play on Thanksgiving in the years when the game was in Baton Rouge, I’m cool. (I don’t mind Thanksgiving Games, I love the Egg Bowl, but LSU never did it before and it felt forced + The Saints have been getting picked a lot to play on Thanksgiving so I appreciate the lack of conflict).

Interesting would OU go to the Big 10 without Okla St to rejoin Nebraska. Would that smooth over the Nebraska boosters.

If Texas and OU go to different conferences Texas would lose its other rivalry game. The have a big brand for some reason but do people really want to see Texas vs Arizona or Utah or Wazzu?

Well this is sad for the Big 12 and the remaining schools including KU. Unfortunately politicians in my state would limit what KU does if it doesn't include K-State in a conference move. So I have no idea how this will shake out through the conference as it implodes.

I meant taking Texas & Oklahoma instead of taking A&M & Missouri... Because of what you said, the Texas schools were going anywhere together... If the SEC wanted Texas & Oklahoma, the time to take them would have been the last expansion, now it’s too late.

I don’t mind having A&M in the conference either, but Missouri isn’t really a cultural fit and could do without them because they don’t really bring anything beside the St. Louis TV Market.

My take has nothing to do with competition, LSU recruits Houston very well and is 8-2* vs. A&M in the last 10.

*The 2018 Game is under dispute in my personal cannon, because we won that game like 3 different times.

Now that we took care of the stupid Thanksgiving Game thing, because we refused to play on Thanksgiving in the years when the game was in Baton Rouge, I’m cool. (I don’t mind Thanksgiving Games, I love the Egg Bowl, but LSU never did it before and it felt forced + The Saints have been getting picked a lot to play on Thanksgiving so I appreciate the lack of conflict).

I would argue that A&M is a much better cultural fit to the SEC than Texas. Oklahoma would be a good fit too, but Texas was always looking down their nose at the conference thinking it was poor academically, etc and that's why they initially tried to move to the PAC. And to be honest, they must really be worried about the landscape and want away from the Big 12 to make this pivot.

I agree about Missouri not fitting, but - like A&M - they are an AAU program and brought some academic prestige to the conference and were close enough to Arkansas, Kentucky, and Tennessee to potentially fit into the East.

Anyway - too much to write - but there was a lot of history between A&M and the SEC. We hd an invite to join before, but Texas politics blocked it. And from everything I've read about the transition (which is a lot), we have had an open door to join anytime we wanted should things change. I wouldn't mind playing Texas again, but I hope we are never tied to them again in a conference.

Back