Interesting would OU go to the Big 10 without Okla St to rejoin Nebraska. Would that smooth over the Nebraska boosters.

If Texas and OU go to different conferences Texas would lose its other rivalry game. The have a big brand for some reason but do people really want to see Texas vs Arizona or Utah or Wazzu?
Why you bringing up Wazzu? We kicked Texas ass last time we played y'all.

Little brother syndrome.

The move makes no sense to me. OU and UT are giving up their top dog status in the B12 to be perennial 3-5 place teams; their chances of making the playoffs is WAY better if they stay in the B12 than in the SEC. They aren’t going to recruit better being in the SEC. They aren’t going to make more money (UT with the LHN, at least).

This move being leaked does give the schools leverage against the B12 and in potential negotiations with the P12 (which is likley to be moving behind the scenes on major changes now that they have a real commissioner).

This move would also mean the end of the B12 conference and makes the remaining Tx schools very irrelevant. I guess that’s good news for everyone else, it probably opens the state up for recruiting more than before.

Last edited:
Nebraska's football team has been meh since they left the Big 12. 9 Big 10 seasons and their conference record is 38-30. They're trending lower in my humble opinion. Wouldn't be surprised if they had another losing conference record this year. A similar fate awaits OU and TX if they jump to the SEC.

I thought a big reason for Nebraska leaving, beyond the Big 10 money, was the Longhorn Network. Texas liked their tv deal and wouldn't support a Big 12 network. At least that's what my sketchy memory recalls.

In all seriousness, I don’t think it ever happens for several reasons:

A&M would fight it hard, the SEC membership gives them an advantage over TX that they wouldn’t give up easily. Missouri would be a no vote too & Arkansas probably wouldn’t be keen on voting yes either. All the former SWC schools, got away from Texas for a reason.

Oklahoma isn’t leaving Oklahoma State & the SEC wouldn’t want OKST, there isn’t a TV market or Brand that comes with OKST. Oklahoma? Sure but OKST? No.

It would only take 4 No votes to kill the deal, And it seems to be 3 hard no votes from jump street.
Dude, OU doesn’t give two s***s about Oklahoma State. It’s not a real rivalry in football, it’s a made up one by the state media and OSU fans. They’re not in any way attached.

This is a more serious inquiry than I think people realize. It comes down to recruiting some, sure, but mainly the contract that the XII has with Fox and the fact that every game, even marquee, is pretty much guaranteed to be an 11am kick, which impacts recruiting and income for the cities as well. That said, the XII commish essentially throwing OU under the bus at media days to not dare make Fox mad is what stemmed this.

A&M and Mizzou will block it, because they don’t want to go down that road again, then it just take two more. Gotta think a Vandy and someone else would also say no.

I do think it’s time for super conferences, especially given the fact that the playoff is going to expend.

Dude, OU doesn’t give two s***s about Oklahoma State. It’s not a real rivalry in football, it’s a made up one by the state media and OSU fans. They’re not in any way attached.
Yep. Also, OU has a 109-48-8 record against SEC teams.

Yep. Also, OU has a 109-48-8 record against SEC teams.
Im not going to sit here and talk that smoke, the SEC is the best conference in football with the most money and the best talent. If this were to happen, it wouldn’t be an easy road, but it’d be a fun one to watch as a fan.

I’ve long wanted the XII dead. But this is volunteering for the meat grinder and that can’t be lost in the situation.

This is a more serious inquiry than I think people realize. It comes down to recruiting some, sure, but mainly the contract that the XII has with Fox and the fact that every game, even marquee, is pretty much guaranteed to be an 11am kick, which impacts recruiting and income for the cities as well. That said, the XII commish essentially throwing OU under the bus at media days to not dare make Fox mad is what stemmed this.

A&M and Mizzou will block it, because they don’t want to go down that road again, then it just take two more. Gotta think a Vandy and someone else would also say no.

I do think it’s time for super conferences, especially given the fact that the playoff is going to expend.

I would think that the TV money is a huge consideration. I also think, at least in football, that we’re definitely heading towards super conferences.

And the other 8 are going to be left by the wayside.

I would think that the TV money is a huge consideration. I also think, at least in football, that we’re definitely heading towards super conferences.

And the other 8 are going to be left by the wayside.
Yup.

That said, reports are that getting 11 of 14 votes isn’t an issue, which shocks me. If it happens, hey, I get to see competitive football every single weekend and not be annoyed by how good the SEC is anymore :LOL:

The story the last time the SEC expanded was that the Oklahoma Legislature wouldn’t allow Oklahoma to leave w/o OKST. If that’s changed, my bad.

The story the last time the SEC expanded was that the Oklahoma Legislature wouldn’t allow Oklahoma to leave w/o OKST. If that’s changed, my bad.

There was a ton of talk about it last time, but last night they put it to rest that it was not in the state constitution (which doesnt really cover athletics, only academics). They did say however that the governor could veto any action that was not in the best interest to the citizens of the state in taking a package deal, but did not expect it to happen.

Yup.

That said, reports are that getting 11 of 14 votes isn’t an issue, which shocks me. If it happens, hey, I get to see competitive football every single weekend and not be annoyed by how good the SEC is anymore :LOL:
I have a hard time thinking they have the votes, after we have heard for years that Florida, South Carolina, UGA, Kentucky, & A&M have all agreed to vote no together if any of these schools in state rival came up for a vote.

Blocking Clemson, FSU, Louisville, GA Tech, & Texas... Maybe money changes that...

All this just to have Tebow cover their games weekly on SEC network?

I have a hard time thinking they have the votes, after we have heard for years that Florida, South Carolina, UGA, Kentucky, & A&M have all agreed to vote no together if any of these schools in state rival came up for a vote.

Blocking Clemson, FSU, Louisville, GA Tech, & Texas... Maybe money changes that...
I think the playoff expansion changes it, that super conference could get maybe 3 teams in annually

There was a ton of talk about it last time, but last night they put it to rest that it was not in the state constitution (which doesnt really cover athletics, only academics). They did say however that the governor could veto any action that was not in the best interest to the citizens of the state in taking a package deal, but did not expect it to happen.
Our governor is a ******* moron so he might.

This is it. Carey Murdock plugged something on twitter to the effect that the CBS SEC game of the week contract was bought by ESPN for $3 Billions over 10 years. The current Big 12 television contract on ESPN and Fox is paying out $2.6 Billion. That is every Big 12 game Vs. One game in the SEC.

Also the matchups during the regular season would be so much better. Home game schedule would be something to look forward to!

I wouldn't hate OU joining the SEC, but I'll be damned if I ever start/join an S-E-C chant unironically.

I cannot imagine Arkansas saying yes.

While I do see a number of benefits for OU and Texas, I don't see it happening unfortunately.

I've got a lot of thoughts, but what it comes down to is the top X number of football programs need to break away from the NCAA and build whatever minor league-esque system they are moving towards. Pay the taxes and stop hiding behind the amateur athlete facade.
Stop ruining regional conferences for all the other sports.

I cannot imagine Arkansas saying yes.

While I do see a number of benefits for OU and Texas, I don't see it happening unfortunately.
It give Arkansas two natural rivals, they’ll be in.

If the Big 12 breaks up - Iowa State and West Virginia might join the Big Ten. But Baylr is right, with the NIL and G league and the possible XFL revival, I wonder how long until colleges and sports separate.

The Big 12 without those two doesn't seem like a viable conference. The SEC is already a blood bath once they get into conference play.
SEC probably has the best collection of basketball coaches in the country. not sure everyone thinks of that but its true.

If the Big 12 breaks up - Iowa State and West Virginia might join the Big Ten. But Baylr is right, with the NIL and G league and the possible XFL revival, I wonder how long until colleges and sports separate.

The Big 12 without those two doesn't seem like a viable conference. The SEC is already a blood bath once they get into conference play.
SEC probably has the best collection of basketball coaches in the country. not sure everyone thinks of that but its true.

The Other 8 will not be a viable major conference. West Virginia would likely want to join the ACC. They are a geographic anomaly in the BIG XII and a move to the ACC would make sense.

It give Arkansas two natural rivals, they’ll be in.
Over the years, I've heard from a good number of Arkansas fans that they wish they still had their game with Texas. Arkansas doesn't have a natural rival in the SEC. Their LSU game has gained traction but it isn't what Arkansas' games with Texas and Oklahoma were.

The only unwavering no vote I can think of right now is A&M.

Back