Tech is a Tier 1 research university now which I believe we just got 2-3 years ago. Not Ivey league status by any means but they also churn of a bunch of really dumb "smart" people.

I will say the one thing I would not like if Tech joined the PAC would be the 7:00 kickoffs on the west coast. I would not be a fan of staying up until 1-1:30 in the morning to watch the games.
Everyone hates the start times of our games under the current media deal. It is one of very very big items to be addressed under our next deal.

There's a whole load of political and legal clout spinning up quickly in the state. There has a chance to be a lot of fireworks with some very deep pockets behind tech, a&m and baylor very upset. Going to be curious how some of the legal arguments I've heard play out making this different than when a&m was leaving.

If I’m Ole Miss, MSU or LSU this kinda sucks. Basically they’ve joined the old SWC / B12. Unless LSU and the Misssissippi schools have some kind of rivalry that a west coast guy wouldn’t know about. Otherwise Arkansas, Missouri ... yuck. On the flip side the east gets Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, Alabama and Georgia.
Besides Alabama, LSU didn’t play the rest of those teams (Auburn, Florida, Tennessee, & UGA) every season when the SEC was 10 teams.

When the league went to 12 teams, Auburn & Florida became annual. Then when the league went to 14 teams, A&M became annual (Kentucky was lost as an annual opponent). What I’m trying to say is that LSU is weird with no real historical rival game as that rival’s biggest game. We don’t have a Red River Shootout, Iron Bowl, Bedlam, or Egg Bowl. And no Arkansas, Battle of the Boot isn’t a thing. No A&M we don’t care about our game with you like you do, stop trying to make it a thing...

Old generation LSU fans hate Ole Miss more than anyone...

6C5ABC2F-0336-4D30-A82E-F57B110331C5.jpeg
Honestly our Fan Base is pretty obsessive related to only Alabama...

78FA2ED6-1248-4A7B-9D1E-C3445A1F7ED9.jpeg

We will be fine, what will suck is the road trips inside the division could become ridiculous...

Last edited:
But does LSU remain LSU now that they aren’t playing Bama, et al every year? Their recruiting profile arguably just changed a good bit.
With being the only SEC school in a talent loaded state like Louisiana? The answer is no...

View attachment 9018100

Talking about the realignment, this is the one that makes the most sense.
As it protects the yearly rival games that have to happen yearly by making them division games:

The Oldest Rivalry in the Deep South- Auburn vs. Georgia
The 3rd Saturday in October- Alabama vs. Tennessee
The Iron Bowl- Alabama vs. Auburn

I know a lot of people like the annual LSU vs. Florida game, but historically it’s a new thing as LSU and Florida didn’t play every year until expansion (Adding Arkansas & South Carolina). In fact LSU has played Texas A&M more often than Florida in our history (A&M has only been in the SEC for the last 10 years).
This makes a lot of sense. I do like the idea of a pod set up to.

Serious question. If the conference championship doesn't matter why should these 8 schools care about being in the full SEC? The West division is insanely great from a football perspective. Couldn't they earn more money just going it alone?
Doubt it just because of the nature of ESPN contract and them wanting more inventory.

Tech is a Tier 1 research university now which I believe we just got 2-3 years ago. Not Ivey league status by any means but they also churn of a bunch of really dumb "smart" people.

I will say the one thing I would not like if Tech joined the PAC would be the 7:00 kickoffs on the west coast. I would not be a fan of staying up until 1-1:30 in the morning to watch the games.
I think was one of the biggest hang ups the first time is that Pac10 would accept Tech or OSU along with Oklahoma and Texas. I think Texas would be in a much better fit bringing Tech with them to the Pac-12. Plus you work around the late games by having the early slate with the Texas school and it gets rid of the dumb 9am games that the Pac12 started playing last year.

Honestly our Fan Base is pretty obsessive related to only Alabama...

View attachment 9018255

We will be fine, what will suck is the road trips inside the division could become ridiculous...

Since y'all travel here this season, I might have an extra ticket for @JDax -- in the Bama section, of course. :D Last year was so effed up that we weren't able to use our season tickets at all, so really looking forward to this season. Gonna be an interesting one ...

Best part is seeing Texas being the butt of these shorts.

With being the only SEC school in a talent loaded state like Louisiana? The answer is no...
Fair point. I went and looked it up. LSU has 50 on the roster from Louisiana and 10 from Texas.

o_O

OU and Texas released their statement to the XII today about not renewing their grant of rights. It’s truly happening.

I'm fascinated by what the fall out will be. Not sure any of the teams really have much value to poach. Not sure how you cobble up another conference that deserves Power 5 status. Do we ultimately end up with 3 or 4 conferences. Thinking SEC stands alone along with Big 10. ACC and Pac12 are probably fine but need to form some sort of alliance.

I'm fascinated by what the fall out will be. Not sure any of the teams really have much value to poach. Not sure how you cobble up another conference that deserves Power 5 status. Do we ultimately end up with 3 or 4 conferences. Thinking SEC stands alone along with Big 10. ACC and Pac12 are probably fine but need to form some sort of alliance.

There is long tradition, but the Big 10 wouldnt even be in the same stratosphere talent wise with the SEC (heck they aren't now).

There is long tradition, but the Big 10 wouldnt even be in the same stratosphere talent wise with the SEC (heck they aren't now).
Totally agree. No way would I argue that. Just saying they can still stand alone as a power conference with no worries. Not sure the ACC and PAC12 can say that depending on how this shakes out.

It's either leverage for more money or a real move to the SEC.

I went undergrad to A&M. Texas torpedoed the Big 12 with their own network and no revenue sharing, and I see A&M's point in a way. Texas tends to stampede all others with their greed. A&M left the Big12 to upgrade, to make its own identity, and for additional money. Now TU and OU will produce more money. And it does make the SEC stronger. If they go SEC, I don't mind. I'd like to see the conference setup. The national champ might have 2-3 losses.:ROFLMAO:

But I would like TU to suffer more...

Blow it all up and pick the top 64 teams to make football only conferences. A lot not to like about it but that is where we are headed.

Talk is Okie State wants in the B10, but Iowa State and Kansas are already AAU members and hit that academic requirement the pokes don’t. OSU also doesn’t want to go PAC, apparently there are questions of the longevity of that league. ACC is becoming an actual option for them along with WVU.

Blow it all up and pick the top 64 teams to make football only conferences. A lot not to like about it but that is where we are headed.

nah, that would make too much sense. Lets continue with more under the table deals focused on ego and money to shape the future of the sport. (y)

Rumors going around that the SEC is also after tOSU, Michigan, Clemson, and FSU. I have no idea the validity of that, but that would basically be all of college football outside of Notre Dame and the West Coast.

I really don't understand how Texas has so much power with the product they put on the field.

I really don't understand how Texas has so much power with the product they put on the field.

Because it’s about brand first and foremost, and they have one of the absolute biggest in all of college athletics.

Back