Cleveland Launcher XL Halo FW Woods and Hybrid Preview

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Last week, Cleveland Golf unveiled their latest rendition of the Launcher lineup by introducing us to the Launcher XL Drivers. For anyone who missed that release, you can read up on it here. Like the XL driver release, the matching wood line consists of three different variants. We have Launcher XL HALO Fairway Woods, Launcher XL HALO hybrid, and the newest addition to the scene, the Launcher XL HALO Hy-Wood.

Cleveland-Launcher-XL-Halo-Woods-1.jpg

One of the big...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a chance to test out the Hy-Wood and liked it. It’s something that I think could creep into my bag in that long spot.

Interested in the Hy-Wood if it is 18*. That sounds pretty powerful in that spot.

Last edited:
I got a chance to test out the Hy-Wood and liked it. It’s something that I think could creep into my bag in that long spot.
My 3h and 4H seem to bunch up in distance. I hit the 4h much more consistent and I am thinking I put a 3 Hy-Wood in the 3h spot to spread that gap out a little.

My 3h and 4H seem to bunch up in distance. I hit the 4h much more consistent and I am thinking I put a 3 Hy-Wood in the 3h spot to spread that gap out a little.

It's kind of funny you say that because the Hy-Wood does something similar to me. As a person that doesn't carry a fairway wood, my first non-driver is a 4H and then 5-GW in my irons. The 4H and 5 iron can get a little close based on Shot Scope data, so I am thinking this could be a good gap fitter for me as well.

It's kind of funny you say that because the Hy-Wood does something similar to me. As a person that doesn't carry a fairway wood, my first non-driver is a 4H and then 5-GW in my irons. The 4H and 5 iron can get a little close based on Shot Scope data, so I am thinking this could be a good gap fitter for me as well.
No coincidence that I have been able to figure this out since getting my Shot Scope for The Data Experience. Gives me incite on where to look for improvements and tweaks.

Reactions: JB
Yup. I’m going to need to hit the Hy-Wood

It would be interesting to hit the three 18* clubs side by side — 3H, HyWood, 5W. That would be a fun test that might tell the player as much about his swing as it does the build/tech of the clubs.

Great write up @ddec ! There isn’t anything not to like about this release! Rebound frame and glide rails seem like a great combination!

It is 18 degrees.
Lofts: Launcher XL Fairway Woods (15°, 18°, 21°) , Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood (13.5°), Launcher XL Halo Hybrid (18°, 21°, 24°, 27°)
Just to confirm the Hy-Wood is 18°

Lofts: Launcher XL Fairway Woods (15°, 18°, 21°) , Launcher XL Halo Hy-Wood (13.5°), Launcher XL Halo Hybrid (18°, 21°, 24°, 27°)
Just to confirm the Hy-Wood is 18°

Yes that was a typo....

and just double checking, the press release said 13.5, but the product manual has it at 18. So 18 it is.

I think the hy-wood is the most interesting one of the bunch here.

I really like the changes they did do the fairway wood. Adding the rails is a really good move IMO and just like with the driver, they toned down the sound.

WIth the hybrid, my personal preference is that I still like the shape of the Halo. But this one plays really well and I've enjoyed having it in the bag for a couple of weeks.

I really like the changes they did do the fairway wood. Adding the rails is a really good move IMO and just like with the driver, they toned down the sound.

WIth the hybrid, my personal preference is that I still like the shape of the Halo. But this one plays really well and I've enjoyed having it in the bag for a couple of weeks.
I have to agree with you. I am always excited for new Cleveland products, but my real need is that 3 Hy-Wood. I don't know if it will get a ton of play with the masses but it will fit a certain segment.

I have to agree with you. I am always excited for new Cleveland products, but my real need is that 3 Hy-Wood. I don't know if it will get a ton of play with the masses but it will fit a certain segment.

I always seem to have an open spot or 2 in the bag so it could easily be thrown in.

@ddec when you say the face is deeper than you like, what exactly does that mean and how does it impact play. I didn't quite understand. The article makes it seem like these are targeted towards more game improvement clubs / players.

Yes please, these look incredible, reminds me of the mashie lineup, but completely updated. I would bet the versatility on these would be amazing.

I always seem to have an open spot or 2 in the bag so it could easily be thrown in.
Next month you can take this one. It arrived after and is fantastic.

@ddec when you say the face is deeper than you like, what exactly does that mean and how does it impact play. I didn't quite understand. The article makes it seem like these are targeted towards more game improvement clubs / players.

I really dislike the game improvement classification, but the launcher lineup is kind of geared that way. They are there to help inspire confidence, offer a lot of forgiveness, and still have enough to provide solid distance options. For me, a little deeper face makes clubs like this a great option off the tee and gets rid of any thought that you might go under the ball. With the rail design here, going with this face height to me makes sense. My preference is a shallower face design, I tend to spin those less and they just suit my eye better.

Next month you can take this one. It arrived after and is fantastic.

I look forward to getting some swings in with it.

Yes that was a typo....

and just double checking, the press release said 13.5, but the product manual has it at 18. So 18 it is.
Ok and I only caught it because I was so captivated with the writing that I read it intently and all the way to the end :D

I could really see me giving this a chance in my bag.... I have a spot where this could really fit in

I look forward to getting some swings in with it.
If you like it, it’s yours. I have a feeling you will, based on what I saw in limited fashion I was impressed.

More forgiving and easier to hit make these an interesting club for me.

More forgiving and easier to hit make these an interesting club for me.
Me too. I always go between thinking easier to hit actually being easier to hit or just easier to hit if you're already pretty able to hit a hybrid / wood well. I've found I have a fairly steep swing angel and that makes anything that isn't an iron problematic for me because sometimes I dig in, but this can help solve that problem as well.

Back