Review Super Stroke WristLock Grip Review

Well, I'm on the same wavelength as @badolds. Just not right for me but as a reminder I don't play a short putter due to the dreaded y***. I am sure that this will work for someone. In fact if someone wants to pay the shipping I'll put this in the mail to them and they can test it and comment back on this thread as to their success with it.

Not a bad grip, just not for this old guy! Thanks to THP for the opportunity!!

Played some more with the Wrist Lock the other day and I truly think this grip can give an advantage to many golfers once they make some adjustments.

It’s truly like a mid arm lock and I have found that the one area of weakness with my arm lock is not a weakness in the Wrist Lock. Now, I putt better with the arm lock on any putt 15 feet and in. However, the weakness I have had so far on the arm lock is the long distance putting. I haven’t quite figured out lagging when my distance is more than 20 feet. I am a bit too fast or a bit too slow. On the Wrist Lock, being closer to a normal swing, I am better with lagging as of now.

The only issue I have with the Wrist Lock is needing to adjust my putter head.

Here are two angles of my putts from the other day and a couple close up pictures:

Look at the lie angle

I really would need to either lengthen the shaft or better yet bend the head so it laid flat on the ground.

Close up picture
F07EBC8B-3113-4E14-A9C3-BAC3624E0B8C.jpeg

The second area of adjustment would be the forward press needed.

Here is the video showing facing my stance:

With the amount of forward press I am using to feel comfortable and like the grip is actually “locked” against my arm, I believe the face degree needs to be adjusted. Maybe to as much as 5° or 6°. Not sure. But needs adjusted to give the best roll off the face.

Here is a close up picture
FE0F23DE-7557-4637-8349-0DE3211F5125.jpeg

All in all this a great grip with a concept that can help a lot of golfers. Sure, it isn’t going to be for everyone. It needs an adjustment period and I don't think works as a plug and play grip. I would do a little bending of the head and a possible small extension to get the most out of the grip. But, I am a big fan.

Played some more with the Wrist Lock the other day and I truly think this grip can give an advantage to many golfers once they make some adjustments.

It’s truly like a mid arm lock and I have found that the one area of weakness with my arm lock is not a weakness in the Wrist Lock. Now, I putt better with the arm lock on any putt 15 feet and in. However, the weakness I have had so far on the arm lock is the long distance putting. I haven’t quite figured out lagging when my distance is more than 20 feet. I am a bit too fast or a bit too slow. On the Wrist Lock, being closer to a normal swing, I am better with lagging as of now.

The only issue I have with the Wrist Lock is needing to adjust my putter head.

Here are two angles of my putts from the other day and a couple close up pictures:

Look at the lie angle

I really would need to either lengthen the shaft or better yet bend the head so it laid flat on the ground.

Close up picture
View attachment 9020872

The second area of adjustment would be the forward press needed.

Here is the video showing facing my stance:

With the amount of forward press I am using to feel comfortable and like the grip is actually “locked” against my arm, I believe the face degree needs to be adjusted. Maybe to as much as 5° or 6°. Not sure. But needs adjusted to give the best roll off the face.

Here is a close up picture
View attachment 9020875

All in all this a great grip with a concept that can help a lot of golfers. Sure, it isn’t going to be for everyone. It needs an adjustment period and I don't think works as a plug and play grip. I would do a little bending of the head and a possible small extension to get the most out of the grip. But, I am a big fan.

Really good stuff here man. I do think most people would at least need a longer putter than they normally play, and possibly a lie adjustment too, for this grip to work best.

Had a little time this evening after work to play with grip more. Back to back putts in sim. 2ball face balanced with wrist lock and my new spider x with stock grip. Not using it exactly as designed but I absolutely will be installing one on my spider. Each and every group of putts with wrist lock grip were truer and straighter. Knob of wrist lock gives me a great check point in gripping putter exactly the same every time. Also like the shape and feel of the grip. EB3BAF58-C647-46BA-A1F4-DBB736C5013C.jpeg6682EAF5-568A-4510-818E-2EC3CB0341F5.jpegEB3BAF58-C647-46BA-A1F4-DBB736C5013C.jpeg6682EAF5-568A-4510-818E-2EC3CB0341F5.jpeg

Great feedback @fuffle master. The close up views you posted are close to what I am seeing using the WristLock. The forward shaft lean and having to put the ball close to the front foot in my stance makes me uncomfortable.

@bbutler when you say you aren't using it exactly as designed, are you saying you're not locking it in but basically taking a normal grip and stance and using the knob as a "reminder"? I'm using it that way and really liking it so far. But like @Lions81 said, you need the putter to be a little longer than a standard fit putter for this strategy to work.

@bbutler when you say you aren't using it exactly as designed, are you saying you're not locking it in but basically taking a normal grip and stance and using the knob as a "reminder"? I'm using it that way and really liking it so far. But like @Lions81 said, you need the putter to be a little longer than a standard fit putter for this strategy to work.
Gripping both putters in above pics exactly the same. Knob on wrist lock fits right above the the pads on my hand. With the wrist lock grip I have more control putter face. The way I’m gripping I don’t feel I need to lengthen or adjust loft or lie.

Gripping both putters in above pics exactly the same. Knob on wrist lock fits right above the the pads on my hand. With the wrist lock grip I have more control putter face. The way I’m gripping I don’t feel I need to lengthen or adjust loft or lie.

Got it. Yeah basically the same for me, and I really like it. Like you said, it's a good way to ensure I'm taking same grip each time, plus it gives me a reminder if the putter head gets too far ahead of my hands (which would usually cause a pull).

Got it. Yeah basically the same for me, and I really like it. Like you said, it's a good way to ensure I'm taking same grip each time, plus it gives me a reminder if the putter head gets too far ahead of my hands (which would usually cause a pull).
I like it enough that I ordered one for my spider x

I really really really have been loving the feel of the grip, the thickness of the grip, and that same mid arm/wrist pressure it provides on my lead arm.

I like having my leading hand BELOW my trailing hand (a la Jordan Spieth) and this grip makes me feel like I’m in absolute control.

I’ve been using the wrist lock in an old ping anser. I want to put it on my Scotty and use a left hand low stroke. Does anyone use this stroke and Has anyone thought to reverse the wrist lock for the left low (cross grip) set up?

Anyone thinking they need to add a few grams of weight after installing wrist lock grip.

This has been super interesting to follow. Have we gotten any direction from Super Stroke or found anything from them that actually explains the intention of how this grip should work. To me how bbutler is using it, is exactly how it should work and look, but to be fair I don't know if I can actually call that a "lock"? And the people that are actually "locking" it like the way it looks in flufflemaster's with a forward press are playing it well past their wrist which just makes it a short arm lock putter right? Fluffle would you call that a wrist lock or a short arm lock?

Just choking down on my current putter I really don't see how one could ever really LOCK it into their wrist? It's just weird.

It's just kind of a puzzling grip. I'm hoping to claim JAMKC's. I actually ordered a putter that is 1 1/2" longer than my current putter. I play a cheap pinemeadow putter so I was like whatever, I'll order another $40 putter similar to what I have and give this a go, but I'm still just kind of puzzled on what super stroke intended with this thing.

...I actually ordered a putter that is 1 1/2" longer than my current putter...

I did essentially the same thing and I really like it. I believe @bbutler and I aren't really using it exactly as SS intended, but when it comes right down to it, who cares as long as it works? And I love the feel and the quiet wrists it seems to encourage.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts if you end up taking the plunge with the rest of us!

I did essentially the same thing and I really like it. I believe @bbutler and I aren't really using it exactly as SS intended, but when it comes right down to it, who cares as long as it works? And I love the feel and the quiet wrists it seems to encourage.

Will be interested to hear your thoughts if you end up taking the plunge with the rest of us!
Yea I mean I don't disagree with you on the "who cares" part, but I just was curious if we had found someone from SS actually explaining it. I can't find anything, I think i'm gonna end up just using it almost as an alignment aid as well. JAMKC is sending me his, so I'll have that baby on by the weekend and give it a whirl.

I just received my Mizuno M Craft putter in and I'm seriously considering extending it a little bit and putting one of these in. It could be a fun comparison to my full arm lock SIK putter.

I think I read that Mickelson was working with one of those grips and using an arm lock type of grip. Not sure if it made it into the tournament.

I believe you need to get at least the loft of the putter adjusted to make it work. I have had one for a while and have never been able to quite get comfortable with it.

I just received my Mizuno M Craft putter in and I'm seriously considering extending it a little bit and putting one of these in. It could be a fun comparison to my full arm lock SIK putter.
I just had another putting session with the WristLock and it is apparent that it is not meant for me. I would love to see you get it and provide some feed back here on the forum. Let me know and I will get it to you.

Reactions: KEV
Put the wrist lock on my Spider X yesterday. Headed to the course today. Very happy with results putting in the sim. 15 footers all either in cup or just right on the edge. Not using it as a true wrist lock. I’m using it as a reference letting the knob portion rest just above the pads of my hand near my wrist. Using a regular putting grip. Will see how 1st round goes.

Put the wrist lock on my Spider X yesterday. Headed to the course today. Very happy with results putting in the sim. 15 footers all either in cup or just right on the edge. Not using it as a true wrist lock. I’m using it as a reference letting the knob portion rest just above the pads of my hand near my wrist. Using a regular putting grip. Will see how 1st round goes.
Are you forward pressing into it at all? I honestly am starting to wonder if this wasn't SS' intention all along with this thing. I think the "lock" piece of this branding might be a bit a misnomer.

1628687443038.png

Are you forward pressing into it at all? I honestly am starting to wonder if this wasn't SS' intention all along with this thing. I think the "lock" piece of this branding might be a bit a misnomer.

View attachment 9021546
No forward press. It feels so natural the way I’m gripping it.2BBC6A6A-D07F-46F1-92BD-AF2FAE3CCB3A.jpeg

Anyone thinking they need to add a few grams of weight after installing wrist lock grip.

I have the Odyssey Stroke Lab 2.0 shaft, so I already have a 40g weight built-in. I think the counterweight is the way to go on putters and if I didn't have the weight built-in, I would recommend using the Super Stroke counterweight system.

As someone who tends to struggle with wrist movement I tried using this grip and maybe its me but it never felt like the knob was going to touch my wrist at any point unless I gripped way down on the grip. That picture above makes sense but didn't seem to work like that.

No forward press. It feels so natural the way I’m gripping it.View attachment 9021608
Yea and see I think your wrist in that picture looks exactly like the picture on the SS site, so I think this is the intended use. Remind me again on your putter? You didnt' extend it at all right?

So because the grip goes further up your arm, it is in theory shortening the putter right? or is the grip installed in such a way that it compensates for that additional length, where there's like some sort of internal spacer so you can't put the grip all the way down to the shaft? I'm struggling to explain what I mean, but hopefully that made some sort of sense.

Last edited:
This has been super interesting to follow. Have we gotten any direction from Super Stroke or found anything from them that actually explains the intention of how this grip should work. To me how bbutler is using it, is exactly how it should work and look, but to be fair I don't know if I can actually call that a "lock"? And the people that are actually "locking" it like the way it looks in flufflemaster's with a forward press are playing it well past their wrist which just makes it a short arm lock putter right? Fluffle would you call that a wrist lock or a short arm lock?

Just choking down on my current putter I really don't see how one could ever really LOCK it into their wrist? It's just weird.

It's just kind of a puzzling grip. I'm hoping to claim JAMKC's. I actually ordered a putter that is 1 1/2" longer than my current putter. I play a cheap pinemeadow putter so I was like whatever, I'll order another $40 putter similar to what I have and give this a go, but I'm still just kind of puzzled on what super stroke intended with this thing.

For me, I would say I am using more as a mid-arm lock or as you stated a short-arm lock. My full arm lock putter goes up to just below my elbow bend and this grip closer to my lower forearm.

I wear a watch at my wrist and just didn't feel comfortable unless the knob section of the grip was above the strap. I think this grip has a couple of different ways to use. As some have suggested, you could place the knob in the wrist and in essence not "lock" the putter. This will still keep your wrists more in play, but the knob would be a "muscle reminder" of it you got too much play in your wrists as the knob would separate and you would feel that. The other option is to really lock the grip in the arm with the knob pushing against your arm, but as you can see the putter head and possibly length would need some adjustments to get the best setup.

Back