Precision Pro R1 Rangefinder

Will be hopping on a trackman tonight to baseline number to enter into MySlope

So, interesting night with the R1 on its maiden voyage.

the good: wonderfully capable as a rangefinder. Very quick and responsive, incredibly clear glass compared to the NX9, and I much prefer this new crosshair to the old one.

the bad:
It seems it did not have my course properly loaded for GPS. This meant any integration with the phone app, any GPS distances, were unusable. That was frustrating to figure out on the first hole.

I did test it near a course closer to home and It appeared to work there, and was really really cool. But if it doesn’t work at my home course, that’s going to be a huge letdown.
Thanks fully there was a “bug reporting” option in the app, with the broken course data as an option.
We’ll see if it gets fixed.

Lots of cool features and big promises with this one, so I'm not surprised to hear about some bugs. I'm sure it's going to get sorted out quickly though.

Thanks for all the info on this one!

It died after 8 holes today. Probably my fault for all the pairing and testing with Bluetooth I did yesterday.

the laser part is great, though doesn’t really seem to pick up on pins over ~220 yards, but that’s okay. Will need more testing. If this actually works like I think it will eventually, I’m going to love it, just need it to get to that point.

It died after 8 holes today. Probably my fault for all the pairing and testing with Bluetooth I did yesterday.

the laser part is great, though doesn’t really seem to pick up on pins over ~220 yards, but that’s okay. Will need more testing. If this actually works like I think it will eventually, I’m going to love it, just need it to get to that point.
Any additional thoughts on the @xThor?

Color me interested.

As someone who uses a Precision Pro, they are really great units.

If I hadn't bought my current one 3-4 months ago, I would be giving this a really hard look.

Alright, I was able to try this out at my club’ sister course, and the GPS worked very well. Pretty easy to use, and seemed pretty accurate based on yardage markers and lasers (both with the R1 and my buddy’s Bushnell).

I’ve started to play with the club tracking, but need more time with it to truly understand it.

The good: when GPS works, it’s quick, easy, and even shows you on the screen the distance to a target that you lasered (number only, not location).

The not so good: If your course data is broken, the unit is a bit neutered. It still works well as a rangefinder, but leaves you feeling a bit disappointed that you aren’t able to use everything you should be able to.

The bad: well, not really bad, but battery life. I’m fairly confident this will only last 2 rounds on a charge. While charging it is as easy as charging a phone, it’s still a bit of a hassle to deal with as opposed to a battery that will last months on a traditional rangefinder. I believe this is due to the Bluetooth connecting, and it doesn’t really appear you can turn Bluetooth off.

I’m very glad the GPS worked yesterday at the sister course, and hope they fix their data to get it working on my home course. If the GPS didn’t work at all, I would likely consider returning this for a dedicated rangefinder.
While the optical aspects are certainly superior to the NX9, there is a definite tradeoff in battery life, and a legitimate worry of the R1 battery dying mid-round if I don’t stay on top of charging it between every other round.

Here is a quick look at what the GPS indicator looks like inside of the rangefinder. (Sorry for the poor quality, hard to take a pic inside of it with a phone)

24A96704-75B1-4418-A509-7375557B1E03.jpeg

it is really helpful and super easy to switch between laser and GPS on the device.
  1. hit main button to laser the pin for distance and slope
  2. Hit secondary button to show GPS front/center/back of green
  3. Hit secondary button again to return to laser functionality
This made the R1 worth it to me. Very quickly I knew the exact distance to the pin, then green front/center/back distances.

Alright. A few more days with it, some more thoughts.

- 👎 my home course still isn’t loaded in GPS, so that’s a bit of a bummer. Will keep checking though.

- 👎 I cannot get it to shoot a pin over 200 yards. Sometimes I can get it to hit a tree at that distance, sometimes the ground, sometimes it won’t pick up anything and just displays dashes.

- 👍 when at my 2nd the GPS works and is so easy and helpful

- 👎 battery life. This is going to be a problem. I used it for just laser on Thursday. On Friday I did GPS as well. It died after my approach on the 17th hole on Friday. This weekend is club championship, so I’ve decided to charge it every day. Kind of annoying but whatever.

- 👍 the stats and reporting is quick and easy. I like seeing the aggregate data, or I have the option to generate a report over a specific date range. It takes some effort as each state is a manual entry during a round. However, there a plenty of other apps or ways to record these outside of Precision Pro.

C20D650A-C2D1-451C-A03C-1BF8E798E2FC.jpeg
02C12192-8696-4609-8C80-61E85AC46DF9.jpeg
C81F7E8E-0212-45BB-8C83-D1371EB313CF.jpeg
E2283DEC-AC93-4C86-8035-A54674ACB96F.jpeg
4609F482-482F-4A89-B6A4-4CA7D0806819.jpeg

Overall, I’m happy with it for the price, but not as thrilled as I thought I would be. Some kinks to work out, but a solid offering.

is it better than the NX9 - yes absolutely I think so.

Are there better rangefinders on the market? Yes, I would agree with that as well. My buddy has the bushnell V5 shift, and from purely a rangefinder perspective, I find it a bit better (clarity, hitting pins at distance, battery life for sure).

I think the R1 is kind of a niche product right now, as it offers some core features that are cool, but not necessary, and unfortunately has some bugs and drawbacks (namely, battery life and target distance).
I don’t have any plans right now to return it, but I’m not going to rule that out during this 90 day period.

Alright. A few more days with it, some more thoughts.

- 👎 my home course still isn’t loaded in GPS, so that’s a bit of a bummer. Will keep checking though.

- 👎 I cannot get it to shoot a pin over 200 yards. Sometimes I can get it to hit a tree at that distance, sometimes the ground, sometimes it won’t pick up anything and just displays dashes.

- 👍 when at my 2nd the GPS works and is so easy and helpful

- 👎 battery life. This is going to be a problem. I used it for just laser on Thursday. On Friday I did GPS as well. It died after my approach on the 17th hole on Friday. This weekend is club championship, so I’ve decided to charge it every day. Kind of annoying but whatever.

- 👍 the stats and reporting is quick and easy. I like seeing the aggregate data, or I have the option to generate a report over a specific date range. It takes some effort as each state is a manual entry during a round. However, there a plenty of other apps or ways to record these outside of Precision Pro.

View attachment 9022450
View attachment 9022451
View attachment 9022452
View attachment 9022454
View attachment 9022455

Overall, I’m happy with it for the price, but not as thrilled as I thought I would be. Some kinks to work out, but a solid offering.

is it better than the NX9 - yes absolutely I think so.

Are there better rangefinders on the market? Yes, I would agree with that as well. My buddy has the bushnell V5 shift, and from purely a rangefinder perspective, I find it a bit better (clarity, hitting pins at distance, battery life for sure).

I think the R1 is kind of a niche product right now, as it offers some core features that are cool, but not necessary, and unfortunately has some bugs and drawbacks (namely, battery life and target distance).
I don’t have any plans right now to return it, but I’m not going to rule that out during this 90 day period.
Forgive me if you have already mentioned it, but how is the magnet? Pretty strong?

Thoughts on a couple features I haven’t touched on yet.

- measuring wind
One of the selling points is that it measures wind using the gps and real-time Bluetooth connection. To date, I have yet to see any measurements of wind actually show up when using it. It is typically just a couple dashes. Not really helpful.

- loss prevention
This one was especially interesting to me, considering a few months earlier I had left an NX9 on the cart, and by the time I went back for it, it was already gone. Well, the Bluetooth pairing on the R1 does allow you to ping the rangefinder, and it does emit a sound, though it isn’t very loud. If you haven’t used the R1 for ~20-30 mins, you’ll get an alert on your phone that is has lost connection (and if using GPS, what hole it lost connection on).
This works generally well, and does give a somewhat sense of comfort in a reminder not to forget it.
again, battery life is a concern, because once it’s dead, there’s no more connection and no more updates to where it is.

we’ll see how it goes this next week or so, and start to decide if I’m going to keep it long term or not.

I have made the decision this morning that I will be returning the R1.

While it does have a ton of potential, in its current state, I’m just not satisfied.
A lot of that probably stems from the fact that my home course GPS has not been fixed in the 6 weeks I have been using it (though I have submitted the bug numerous times). If I played at our sister course more often, where the GPS does work, that would make a difference, but maybe not enough for me to keep it.

The battery life is a huge issue for me, as I am unable to really get more than 2 full rounds in, and depending on heavy use, may not last the full 2nd round. Even though it may show 3 out of 4 bars in battery, it would quickly (like within a couple holes) go completely dead.

And shooting targets, especially early in a round, continues to be a problem. It almost feels like I have to warm it up by shooting various length targets (mostly trees) multiple times before it will start to pick up pins.

I really hope they can sort out some of the issues and get this product where it needs to be. It’s a niche, but pretty cool when it does work properly.
While I would be open to trying future products of theirs, the R1 is unfortunately not worth the frustration of dealing with all of those issues right now, and is getting returned.

While it does have a ton of potential, in its current state, I’m just not satisfied.
A lot of that probably stems from the fact that my home course GPS has not been fixed in the 6 weeks I have been using it (though I have submitted the bug numerous times). If I played at our sister course more often, where the GPS does work, that would make a difference, but maybe not enough for me to keep it.

The battery life is a huge issue for me, as I am unable to really get more than 2 full rounds in, and depending on heavy use, may not last the full 2nd round. Even though it may show 3 out of 4 bars in battery, it would quickly (like within a couple holes) go completely dead.

And shooting targets, especially early in a round, continues to be a problem. It almost feels like I have to warm it up by shooting various length targets (mostly trees) multiple times before it will start to pick up pins.

I really hope they can sort out some of the issues and get this product where it needs to be. It’s a niche, but pretty cool when it does work properly.
While I would be open to trying future products of theirs, the R1 is unfortunately not worth the frustration of dealing with all of those issues right now, and is getting returned.
Really sorry it isn't working out. Like you said, it has tons of potential...but if it's not working, it's not working.

Thanks for posting all the updates on this one

Thanks for the update @xThor . Almost pulled the trigger before your other update. Happy I didn't.

Interesting that you had that many issues. I haven't had significant issues in initial testing but haven't been able to get it on course for a round yet so we will see.

Interesting that you had that many issues. I haven't had significant issues in initial testing but haven't been able to get it on course for a round yet so we will see.

What is the number next to hole representing? think it said 11? is that 11 yards from front?

Also so, if i lazer a rock does that populate on the GPS App that I just lazered that? thats pretty sweet if it did.o_O

Last edited:
What is the number next to hole representing? think it said 11? is that 11 yards from front?

Also so, if i lazer a rock does that populate on the GPS App that I just lazered that? thats pretty sweet if it did.o_O

The 11 is hole #11.

When you laser something, the measured number pops up on the app in the corner. It doesn’t know what or where you measured something, only gives a number.

Yeah, it’s unfortunate as there is a lot of promise within this device. But I can’t keep it for that price knowing it’s only giving me a fraction of what it is supposed to.

The 11 is hole #11.

When you laser something, the measured number pops up on the app in the corner. It doesn’t know what or where you measured something, only gives a number.

Do you feel this is belt and suspenders at this point? What are the benefits of having both...

Seems if I have cell phone mounted as I get image of hole and pick landing approximately quick and easy and then approach Lazer gives me f/c/b where does gps come in, hazards?

I used to use Lazer and bnell phantom, in that manner wondering what I need this for. Best case scenario.

Do you feel this is belt and suspenders at this point? What are the benefits of having both...

Seems if I have cell phone mounted as I get image of hole and pick landing approximately quick and easy and then approach Lazer gives me f/c/b where does gps come in, hazards?

I used to use Lazer and bnell phantom, in that manner wondering what I need this for. Best case scenario.

Somewhat, yes. I have an S62 watch as well.
The GPS works as you can move around and pick points to see distances to/from, in addition it will keep your stats (gir/fir/putts/etc…). You can also input layup positions, and GPS will remember it.

it’s cool when it works, but yes overkill.
I’m going to stick with my S62 and go with that.

@xThor thanks for the detailed reviews here.

I am looking for an upgrade in rangefinder, but after reading your thoughts might want to hold off on updating my NX9 until I find something a little better or after Precision fixes some of the bugs you encountered. I do love my NX9

Back