Ben Hogan Edge EX Irons Review

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Throughout their long history, Ben Hogan Golf has earned high regards for their iron craftsmanship. Even though the brand was re-launched several years ago, the quality of their irons and wedges have carried on that Hogan tradition of good looks, feel, and performance. Last year I put the ICON Black irons in my bag, and while they are too much club for my game, they certainly impressed me in many areas. Facing the facts, not many golfers should be playing bladed irons, no matter how much fun they can be. With that in mind, Ben Hogan Golf has updated their Edge line with the Edge EX irons for that golfer who doesn’t have the speed or precision to get the absolute most out of a compact iron.

Continue reading...

In my opinion this is the set that Ben Hogan had been missing to complete their lineup for the year. The previous Edge irons performed well, but missed the mark in looks when comparing them to the other sets in the line. Glad to hear that distances were consistent as well as gapping.

Great write up @ddec ! Love the look of these! Really like there recent output.

Nice stuff @ddec they look good and with the loft jacking discussion always underway it'll be interesting to see how those perform when people choose them against other brands with stronger lofts.

• Staff
In my opinion this is the set that Ben Hogan had been missing to complete their lineup for the year. The previous Edge irons performed well, but missed the mark in looks when comparing them to the other sets in the line. Glad to hear that distances were consistent as well as gapping.

I couldn't agree with you more. The previous edge irons just looked like they didn't fit the brand at all. These tie in the entire lineup and look damn good.

Consistent gapping was nice. They just blend and work together nicely. I think where the struggle is, going to toe to toe with other similar irons, in terms of distance, they will come up on the short end. That doesn't make them bad, and for my game the distance, while shorter, was perfectly fine. And for those wondering, when I say shorter Im talking about 6-7 yards shorter on the 7.

I think these look pretty darn good. Classic but modern. Well done BH.

@ddec why are they shorter? Spin or lofts? When I had a set of BH irons in the past I found them very spinny.

• Staff
I think these look pretty darn good. Classic but modern. Well done BH.

@ddec why are they shorter? Spin or lofts? When I had a set of BH irons in the past I found them very spinny.

Spin isn't as low and lofts depending on which club are 2-3 degrees higher. But with that said, the gapping and yardages are consistent, the ball flight is great(for me). So I'm seeing a larger head with forgiveness without seeing those explosive yardages.

These look good. As I was reading, was thinking that these will appeal to the "jacked loft" crowd, and then I smiled when I arrived at your line about the jacked loft crowd. Will they have enough market for the current distance rage? Don't know. But for those who like the Hogan name and want a pleasing appearance and more forgiving iron, these look excellent.

Outstanding review Dean! These will almost certainly be my next iron set as I need to gain some forgiveness but don't want to give up that Hogan forged goodness. Edge irons were my first ever cavity back forged irons way back in the day so a bit of nostalgia is involved also.

I couldn't agree with you more. The previous edge irons just looked like they didn't fit the brand at all. These tie in the entire lineup and look damn good.

Consistent gapping was nice. They just blend and work together nicely. I think where the struggle is, going to toe to toe with other similar irons, in terms of distance, they will come up on the short end. That doesn't make them bad, and for my game the distance, while shorter, was perfectly fine. And for those wondering, when I say shorter Im talking about 6-7 yards shorter on the 7.
Spin isn't as low and lofts depending on which club are 2-3 degrees higher. But with that said, the gapping and yardages are consistent, the ball flight is great(for me). So I'm seeing a larger head with forgiveness without seeing those explosive yardages.

It’s all relative, @ddec is 6-7 yards shorter versus his previous irons, I’m probably 7-10 yards longer than my PTx Pros! If I bent my PTx Pros 2° stronger, they would be equal. The biggest thing I have noticed is a discernible lower ball flight with the EDGE EX irons. Now, is this due to the stronger lofts or going back to the TT DG shafts🤷‍♂️? Probably both. They are more forgiving than the PTx Pros, and tons more than the ICON. Sound isn’t bad, not great. It’s not that traditional BH crisp snap. Kind of a muted tock.

It’s all relative, @ddec is 6-7 yards shorter versus his previous irons, I’m probably 7-10 yards longer than my PTx Pros! If I bent my PTx Pros 2° stronger, they would be equal. The biggest thing I have noticed is a discernible lower ball flight with the EDGE EX irons. Now, is this due to the stronger lofts or going back to the TT DG shafts🤷‍♂️? Probably both. They are more forgiving than the PTx Pros, and tons more than the ICON. Sound isn’t bad, not great. It’s not that traditional BH crisp snap. Kind of a muted tock.

Yes all relative. When I say shorter, I'm comparing more to irons in that class. I'd consider the PTx Pro more in that blended class of iron. But if I were to have these say at club champion, and I test a 7 iron of the Edge Ex, Radspeed, Maverick, Sim2, and Hot Metals, with stock options I have a gut feeling where these would land on a pure distance battle. Distance monsters, these are not. But I really enjoyed the consistency throughout the set.

And you are right about the sound. It's not horrible but not great for me.

Sounds like a winner to me! I personally wouldn't be worried about the distances, these are lofted pretty close to my current irons, and I'm quite happy with my distances and gapping. A friend just went through the iron fitting process recently, and I completely agree with one of his main comments, "I really don't want or need to hit a 7-iron 200 yds!". Give me consistency with some forgiveness, nice ball flight, forged feel, and that sounds like what Hogan has here.

These really remind me of the old CFT I think it was called, that was my first real set of irons with matching hybrids, I love the classic look on these!

What is this obsession with distance in the irons? As a former tournament golfer when I was younger (1980's unfortunately), I played Hogan Apex's because they gave me the best flight and dispersion. With the irons in these new Edge EX's "class", why does anyone care that they would have to hit a 6-iron instead of a 7-iron for a specific yardage?

I have always had a soft spot for Hogan irons and always wanted the original Edge back in the day, these look good and Hogan are as usual staying true to themselves rather than chasing the distance train.

Finally a more GI set from them that actually looks great, maybe my favorite look of all for that class to be honest. Good stuff here Dean, I’m glad to hear that they performed well also.

give this a little bump for those who got into the Hogan Experience.

These are cemented in the bag right now. I know there are more enticing products out there, but these perform pretty damn well.

I have the 6-PW Edge EX with graphite and love the feel, sound, look, and quality. I did notice the sacrifice of a few yards, but I think I have regained some distance by becoming more consistent due to the confidence I have developed with them. Played about 6 rounds and now at age 72 and 138lbs, can get the 7-iron about 125, maybe 130. Now I hit a PW about 95 whereas before (younger) I got about 115. My main distance loss from the Ping G20's I have before is about 5-7 yards. But man, I feel great and they swing great and feel like an extension of my arms and hands, not like a hammer. Love the Edge EX

I have a set coming next week as part of the Hogan Experience. Very excited to share my time with these clubs with the forum members.

Bumping this thread since the Ben Hogan Experience was last week.

Back